FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » The Rhesus Monkeys!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Rhesus Monkeys!
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 11:54 am   Permalink

Great news!

A new band I am involved with, The Rhesus Monkeys, is set to release our new, debut CD very soon. This is all very hush-hush, but I can leak some of the information ahead of the actual CD release date.

The music consists of a room full of chattering, howling Rhesus Monkeys flinging their feces against the walls, some vibraphone, some percussion, and a whole lot of expensive keyboards!. I cannot reveal the long and extensive list of tiki celebrities that contributed to this CD. Not just yet! What I can tell you is that this release will be accompanied by excessive merchandising.

The album art was designed by a VERY famous tiki artist whose very name should bring chills down your spines!

We are set to have our CD release party at Don the Beachcombers, but again, I cannot reveal too much.

There will be a specially designed, hand-crafted Rhesus Monkey’s mug….again, by a very famous tiki artist who you all know and love! Priced at 199.99, this mug is a steal! We also will be selling our new pendant, featuring “Rhesus Monkey Tiki”. This one features a removable Fez, and is priced starting at 49.99. We have a one- of- a kind ceremonial fountain (with lights and smoke machine) that also features a Rhesus Monkey on the top section. This one goes for 850.00. The CD itself will sell for 29.99, but will include shipping and handling.

Pre-sale for these items begins tomorrow, and everything can be ordered from:

WWW. Whocareswhatthemusicsoundslike.com

We will also be vending at Tiki Oasis, in a special booth right at the front where you pick up your wristbands.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 1:15 pm   Permalink

Wow! The website is only just barely created, and I have already got 1500 + hits! Amazing, and thanks for your support! Due to popular demand, I will now reveal the album track listings, plus a quick preview of the CD cover art!

The album tracks are:

1. A room full of Monkeys
2. Got Fez?
3. The road to Roar-ah-bunga!
4. Stupid is, as stupid does
5. Tiki see, Tiki do!
6. Pass me the Mai-Tai
7. Bamboo dreams
8. Flingin’ the poo!
9. The falls of wiki-wiki-pee dee ah (sure)!
10. Do the brachiation!
11. Occipital bulge in my pants

And now for the album art!

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2010-08-09 13:18 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-09 2:43 pm   Permalink

Set up a tour with the Orangu-Tones!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 2:51 pm   Permalink

When can I pre-order ?????

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-09 3:44 pm   Permalink

Smells like satire in here

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 4:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-09 11:54, lucas vigor wrote:

...chattering, howling Rhesus Monkeys flinging their feces against the walls...

Geez, how many bands is Bong in these days?
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 4:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-09 14:43, aquarj wrote:
Set up a tour with the Orangu-Tones!

-Randy

Jeff (Big Tiki Dude) already has the Orangu-tones scheduled with a myriad of surf festivals! We tried, though!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 4:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-09 16:16, Doctor Z wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-08-09 11:54, lucas vigor wrote:

...chattering, howling Rhesus Monkeys flinging their feces against the walls...

Geez, how many bands is Bong in these days?

Classic!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 7:14 pm   Permalink

The phone does not stop ringing! The orders keep on coming and coming! I was able to get a first printing out to some people already, and here is what some of them PMed me (Used by their permission, of course):

"I checked my mail at lunch, and there was the new Rhesus Monkey's CD! I could hardly wait to hear it! I mixed up a Mai Tai and With trembling hands I gingerly opened the CD and placed it in my CD player. Sheer bliss! The music unfolded like a delicate lotus blossom! I could feel the lilting sea breeze and hear the gentle breakers, and imagine being there with the Rhesus Monkey's, chattering and screaming beyond the reef! This music transported me to another time, another place! As I slipped slowly into a golden, silver and orange Mai-Tai infused fog, I could feel my toe-hairs curling! Even my dog looked more relaxed and peaceful then he normally does! I have been playing this music non-stop since I got it!"

and......

"The CD arrived yesterday! Simply stunning! The best tiki music I have ever heard! Every note is sheer magic, every melody crisp and clean. The distortion guitar is beautiful! This one will enjoy an exhalted status in my home tiki bar!"

And finally......

"I knew this band was good as soon as I saw the cover art on the CD. Lucas Vigor and his crew know how to rock, roll, swing, shimmy, twist and lull you into oblivion! This has gotten to be one of my favorite CDs of all time. Simply the best in modern Tiki music!"

One more:

"I expected not to like this one, based on the many posts I have read from Lucas over the years (that have kept me and a lot of other people from even trying to listen to his other bands with an open mind), but in this one CD he has redeemed himself! This band needs to be headlining the next Tiki oasis! They are THAT good!"

So there you have it! Don't worry, I will be bringing a whole van load of these CDs in two weeks to you-know-where....I have sold so many already that I will be pressing more very soon! A major label has already expressed interest in signing us to an exclusive two-year contract, and our next effort is already being worked on as we speak! Onwards and upwards!

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2010-08-09 19:18 ]

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 12:59 pm   Permalink

you should plan a cd release party at the Tongua But.

they'll let anybody in there.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 2:10 pm   Permalink

We have bigger plans then that, my friend! Our team of agents are working on getting us a gig on the Andy Bumatai show, prime time baby! They wanted the best Exotica band in the world, and who better then the Rhesus Monkeys? We got Fezzes! We got mugs! We got artwork! We are ready to rock and roll!

Meanwhile, we have pre-sold 340 CDs as of last Sunday. The website crashed a couple times this weekend, due to too much traffic! I tell you, this is the biggest thing since Elliot Easton decided to suddenly become "tiki"! (hey, were' playin' frickin STAR TREK! Can ya believe that?)

But I figure what with a million other bands becoming "exotica" and enjoying so much publicity, exposure and help from so many dedicated fans...the Rhesus Monkey's just HAD to get us some too!

I kind of wish that our newfound, "insta-success" had happened for the Smoking Menehunes, (you remember them, right? They were that Hawaiian band playing highly authentic vintage hapa haole to mostly empty rooms for the last 7 years) but since the Rhesus Monkeys is already 5 million times more popular then the Menehunes ever were, I guess I can't be too bummed, right? Why be bitter after slogging away for 7 years, playing our hearts out, only to have the Rhesus Monkey's blow my old bands out of the water seemingly overnight! Why, it's just like American Idol! No longer does a band have to pay it's dues! Everything is based on exposure and popularity now! Thank God! How else could I put together an album that is basically just animal noises, vibraphone and casio keyboards and make as much money as I am making right now?

Go Rhesus Monkeys!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-18 12:17 am   Permalink

this should be in tiki marketplace.
or tiki events.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-22 1:18 pm   Permalink

Well folks, the Rhesus Monkey’s have now sold out ALL our debut CDs! I can’t believe 2500 units were shipped out as of yesterday! Don’t worry though, because a new record label “Shameless self promotion, Inc.” has just signed us to an exclusive 5 year contract!

Yesterday, we started booking time in the studio for what will be our Christmas album. I know, it’s been done to death before but that should not be a problem on this forum! After all, copying the idea, concept and success of others is the name of the game!

Sure, this music is bland and mediocre, sounding like it was produced on a Casio keyboard (probably because it WAS!) but in the music business, it’s really all about popularity, not real hard work or talent. So I am sure our Christmas album will also sell out within a few months of its release.

At first, even I was not sure if this music would be successful. After all, I shamelessly stole someone else’s idea and concept, repackaged it and dumbed it down. I thought it was really repetitive and actually pedantic, but the sales figures have proven me wrong!

The reviews of this maudlin and crappy product came in real quick, with excessive hyperbole inflating its reputation far beyond what it was worth! Terms like “Excellent”, “sheer bliss” , “Outstanding”, “superior”, and even “Mystical bordering on a religious experience” were bandied about, when I myself would have used words more like “Derivative”, “Sophmoric”. “Infantile” or even “Direct rip-off”….but I tend to me more hard on myself.

For music that has such as dim and distant relationship to real Tiki music, I am so surprised at the success of this project! I knew that when I started this project I needed to stay away from Hapa Haole music (which as we know, does not fit in with Tiki in the slightest way) and I also knew that I had to stay away from jazz based music. Sure, jazz worked well for Les Baxter, Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman but the current generation of “tiki” fans don’t go in for that kind of stuff. It’s all about rock music “re-imaged” with some tiki stuff on the album cover…

Anyway, till next time! Onwards and upwards, enjoying the success that should rightfully belong to others!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 11:19 am   Permalink

I wonder who this is in reference to?

Jeff(btd)

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 4:05 pm   Permalink

When is the band going to release that CD of B-sides you talked about, called "Rhesus Pieces"?

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation