FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Navy Grog at Francis Ford Coppola's new restaurant
Navy Grog at Francis Ford Coppola's new restaurant
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 8:45 pm   Permalink

FFC recently opened his Napa area restaurant, Rustic and the star cocktail is the Navy Grog made from the Beverly Hills Luau recipe - complete with an ice cone.

http://ffcp.s3.amazonaws.com/fcw/dine/rustic/fnl_rustic_menu_drink.pdf

I'm dying to try the Lemon Chicken (based on a recipe from Martin Scorsese's mum).

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-10 09:27 am   Permalink

It all looks good except for the Manhattan with Campari. WTF?

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-10 09:52 am   Permalink

Hey, don't knock the Manhattan with Campari (usually called a Boulevardier), that is a GREAT combo!

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-10 11:20 am   Permalink

So they should call it a Boulevardier -- they got everything else right. Campari (like absinthe) is something of an acquired taste and as an owner, I would be really wary of putting it in a drink that doesn't normally contain it unless I made it VERY CLEAR to all customers who ordered it. I have to admit that the first time through the list, I missed it among the list of ingredients.

All in all, a pretty good looking cocktail menu. Although they get a point off for not using rye instead of bourbon, they get bonus points for calling things "cocktails" instead of "martinis", more bonus points for only having one martini on the menu and major bonus points because it's a gin martini!

And yes, the Boulevardier is a pretty good drink, although I usually halve the Campari.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-10 2:01 pm   Permalink

It looks like they got the strong arm from Goslings on the Dark and Stormy (Can't call it a Dark and Stormy without Goslings in it.) so they lose another point but I still wanna go!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-22 4:05 pm   Permalink

It seems that the Coppola brothers may have worked at Kelbos... Sven correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they were the only ones to call them "habit forming ribs".

From the
menu at Rustic:

We're going up to this restaurant tomorrow, and I will *definitely* get these ribs with a Navy Grog.

Trad'r Bill

[ This Message was edited by: Trad'r Bill 2011-01-22 17:01 ]

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-22 8:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-22 16:05, Trad'r Bill wrote:
It seems that the Coppola brothers may have worked at Kelbos... Sven correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they were the only ones to call them "habit forming ribs".

From the menu at Rustic:

We're going up to this restaurant tomorrow, and I will *definitely* get these ribs with a Navy Grog.

Trad'r Bill

[ This Message was edited by: Trad'r Bill 2011-01-22 17:01 ]

Yep, Beachbum Berry wrote that FFC was fired since his mind was always somewhere else.

[ This Message was edited by: Shaun of theTiki 2011-01-22 20:52 ]

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-23 8:19 pm   Permalink

Sean of theTiki - Thanks, I missed that one from the Bum...

Here's some pic's from earlier today:
Navy Grog - it tasted damn good... extra props for the ice cone

...and here are the Habit Forming Ribs - tasty

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation