FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tiki drinks at Dram in New York
Tiki drinks at Dram in New York
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 2:51 pm   Permalink

Hey New Yorkers (Joe and others), I'd like to hear a review from you all about a new bar in Brooklyn called Dram. Not a Tiki bar, but several Tiki drinks are on the menu (Jet Pilot, Don the Beachcomber Zombie) and the concept of the place is intriguing with top NYC bartenders doing rotating regular shifts there.

Here's a July 1, 2010 article about it from the NY Times.

And here's the recipe for the drink pictured in the article, which I got from the show "Drink Up" on the Cooking Channel:

Behind God’s Back

1/4 oz orgeat syrup
1/4 oz sugar cane syrup
1/4 oz cinnamon syrup
1/2 oz fresh pressed pineapple juice
1 oz lime juice
2 oz Chairman’s Reserve rum (St Lucia)

Dry shake the ingredients for a few seconds and pour into a tall glass. Fill glass with crushed ice and swizzle until glass becomes frosty. Top off with 6-8 dashes of Peychaud bitters to create a rich red layer on top. Add more crushed ice and a sprig of mint.

I'm not absolutely positive it's Peychaud's they use, but I'm not aware of another bitters that is that red in color.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 3:01 pm   Permalink

Also, the full rum show is available online at the Cooking Channel website.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 07:04 am   Permalink

Hey Rob - unfortunately my laziness knows no bounds and I have yet to leave the island for the wilds of Brooklyn and make it over to Dram.

However, I do know a few of the bartenders that work there (Frank, Tonya, etc.) and can vouch for their excellent drink-making skills (tiki and otherwise). In particular, I know Frank has been working on his Jet Pilot for a while and has been obsessed with Fassionola.

Nicole and I will make the trip at some point, since we are WAY overdue, and will report back.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 07:26 am   Permalink

I can imagine there's not much incentive to venture out when there is an entire world to be found in Manhattan. Anthony Bourdain finally made the trip out to the outer boroughs, so I guess it's your turn now.

Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 4:41 pm   Permalink

manhattanites generally have an allergic reaction when crossing bridges and tunnels in my experience

Mr. Ho
http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 5:31 pm   Permalink

I'll go name the time and date..
Dram!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-08 2:47 pm   Permalink

I had a fantastic time at Dram last March. The bartenders are like a supergroup of all-star NYC mixologists, and the owner Thomas Chadwick is an all-around great guy. (Keep your eyes open for his upcoming interview on Martha Stewart.)

I had a Jet Pilot that was amazing; actually a couple of them. It was my last stop of the evening so it's all pretty blurry (!) but I think Tom put some Havana Club in my second one. Go, you won't be sorry!

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-08 9:51 pm   Permalink

Made a "Behind God's Back" this evening and loved it!
Mahalo!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation