FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Treasure Island Room
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Treasure Island Room
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-23 8:41 pm   Permalink

Mike & Marie, this was the first time I had gotten a chance to go through your thread, I will be checking it frequently for progress. Such great ideas and great execution. I really like that you have seperate areas inspired by different vintage tiki bars. I admire that you are going to such great lengths to get it just right, I don't have the patience for that

Favorites so far? I say the underwater areas ~ the mermaid, the barracuda, the lighting, the shower curtains (!?). I also think the starry night is brilliant (pun intended)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-28 09:46 am   Permalink

I really cannot add much more than Mike, so I gotta just say ditto.

I am really looking forwards to more in progress pictures I dig the major creativity and attention to historical detail you are putting into this.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-29 9:51 pm   Permalink

Awesome pics

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-01 5:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks, everyone, for the continued kind words and encouragement!

Lori, that's a good idea about the piranha. We have also been thinking about fish tanks for a while -- not for piranha, but setting up either a saltwater tank or freshwater neon tetras. We've seen bigger tanks that come on stands and they also give us an idea to make dioramas in them -- not even necessarily with water but with lighting to give it an underwater effect. We'll see what happens in the "beach" room...

Tabu, we can't believe you actually went to the Careless Navigator! Alva Bartke was a famous restaurateur and the CN was her crowning achievement ... for a time it was a top contender for best restaurant in Florida ... and yet there is very, very little out there on it. The building may still exist -- we heard it was eventually sold to a recording studio and they kept all the nautical decor inside the recording area -- but the only color photograph of the interior that we know of is a close-up photo of the bar. There's a few blurry black and white images that ran in local papers, and that's about it. Your last post probably has more about the place than just about anywhere else online. So in other words if you have any other memories of the place (or, could we even dare to hope, pictures), we'd love to hear (or see) them!

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-01 5:57 pm   Permalink

Ok, time for some more updates.

We've got the stairwell pretty much down. (Is that a pun?)

If you've ever been to Old Tony's in Redondo Beach, that's what we were going for and you'd recognize the "Wall of Stars." For years and years we've been collecting autographs from our favorite (and, frankly, aging) celebrities. So finally we get to hang them up:

At the top above the entrance is the sign, painted on sheet metal:

The lettering was inspired by various old signs, brochures and logos from Treasure Island. Don't have any of them scanned right now but this is one example:

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-01 6:12 pm   Permalink

Once all the walls and ceiling were in place, we were able to carpet the Wreck Bar and then finally start decorating. These guys were happy to get out of their boxes:

Here's the Wreck Bar area with all the underwater lighting on:

A few more details of the Wreck Bar:

We don't know the make of the big ship piece on the right but we saw it hanging in the lobby at The Warehouse in Marina Del Ray. Ditto as to the make on the fish plaque on the left but something in the same style was behind the front desk at the Yankee Clipper in Fort Lauderdale (which, sadly, was recently "renovated" inside):

More soon!

SushiSpook

Posted: 2012-11-02 9:36 pm   Permalink

Holy smokes - you guys...

My wife and I just signed on the dotted line for our very first house, and we've got a bottom floor that we're going to be knocking out and renovating. My wife sold me on the idea of buying this house by saying two words: "Tiki Bar".

You guys, this entire thread is a HUGE inspiration to me - a total shot in the arm for a few years down the line. I love what you've done, and I thank you for showing off. So very awesome!

View Profile of SushiSpook Send a personal message to SushiSpook  Goto the website of SushiSpook     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-03 12:15 pm   Permalink

Welcome, Spook! Go say hi in the introductions thread, make sure you read what TC is about, and spend a LOT of time surfing before you start your bar. It's a wealth of information and experience from people who have put a lot of time and effort into tiki. I hope you'll be able to find even more inspiration here.

Aloha!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-05 7:20 pm   Permalink

I am swooning over that TV...it all looks fabulous...great lighting!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 2:03 pm   Permalink

Fantastic! I would say the TV makes it, but there is so much cool there. Well done.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-06 08:08 am   Permalink

OMG love your use of space and lighting!! Truly looks like an expensive dive bar!!! your little pockets of "tiki-coolness" are inspirational!!! wish I had a space like that, maybe I should tikify my garage ? lol
cant wait to see more!!!! yours is in my top 10 favs!!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-06 6:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone, it's been way too long since we updated this thread. Been busy working on it and that means some changes and lots of updates. More pics soon...

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-07 05:06 am   Permalink

Lookin good!
You could get a disco ball motor and put some fish on it then hang above Mermaid
to add some swimming things to the scene.
Grate job!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-08 8:04 pm   Permalink

Wow! One of the most innovative home-bars I've seen. Sooooo cool. I love all the effects!! There is a cd called "The Ancient Mariner" that has the sounds of being on an old ship from harbor to harbor. I got a copy of it ages ago and it's pretty cool and would add a great effect to your place. It can be found here.http://seagifts.com/sounofseaaud.html . Again, your place looks great.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-19 11:08 pm   Permalink

Matt, thanks, we've been thinking about sound effects so that CD will come in handy for us!

We've learned some things since first undertaking this project. Firstly, that having one of these home tiki bars is almost like having to take care of a small bar or restaurant---there is always maintenance, cleaning, planning, and tweaking and these four things will never end. If something doesn't need to be repaired, polished or dusted, you just aren't looking close enough!

The other thing is the concept of replication. When we began, we were very intent on recreating, as perfectly as we could in our own small way, certain pieces or aspects of these places of the past. But we learned that an exact replication is not always desirable. As we continued to build various parts of the project, and tweak others to suit the vision, something Bamboo Ben had said kept coming to mind---to paraphrase, "there's nothing perfect about tiki." In other words, you don't have to be clinically precise in your construction (to a certain degree, of course). And in the same way, these old establishments did not seek to perfectly replicate primitive South Seas civilization---that would not be the happy idealized places that we know. Instead, they took the best aspects and used them to create an atmosphere. It felt authentic, but this was a different kind of authenticity---the horror of cannibalism was reduced to a potent "headhunter" cocktail served in a scary mug.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation