FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Tiki in Michigan?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki in Michigan?
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-19 7:30 pm   Permalink

I am having such a difficult time finding anything in MIchigan. I've searched through the boards but havn't come across anything about good places to check out in the state. I've been to every thrift store and estate sale around Lansing but find little. I was wondering if I could get some advice and maybe pointed in the right direction.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-19 7:50 pm   Permalink

There are a few of us in Michigan and it seems like the ones that are here are great tiki people. Some have great bars, there are carvers, and tiki artist, and collectors. And there is a surviving tiki bar full of great stuff in Livonia called Chin which host gathering once or twice a year.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-19 9:10 pm   Permalink

Livonia? Very cool! I'll try and get there soon. I hope to meet more fellow mitten state tiki folks!

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mudbone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-20 06:06 am   Permalink

Hey Erk,try the search and put in Chin,also try all the little flea markets,don't know what part of the state your from, good luck on your hunt and maybe will see you at the Xmas show at Chin's,:D

View Profile of mudbone Send a personal message to mudbone  Email mudbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-20 2:06 pm   Permalink

Erk,

Try giving Uncle Trav a PM, he is the Tiki king of Michigan.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-21 05:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-20 14:06, Dustycajun wrote:
Erk,

Try giving Uncle Trav a PM, he is the Tiki king of Michigan.

DC

Dusty you are too kind sir, I'm just a pauper trying to get by but I do love Michigan's Tiki past
ErkNoLikeFire I sent you a PM. Don't forget that there is more treasure to find out there than just mugs and such. Lansing had it's own Tiki bar that not much is known about and some history could be dug up about. Here is a link to DC's post about it.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32501&forum=2 and a link to a thread about doing some research with some handy tips. http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32087&forum=1 Above all have a good time and enjoy the hobby. There is still tons of stuff to find out there, even in Michigan.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-21 10:17 am   Permalink

I visit Michigan (Detroit area) about once a year and our favorite place to go, albeit not Tiki, is Mon Jin Lau in Troy Michigan. It's Asian fare BUT.... they have a volcano bowl!!!!!!!! Frankly the food is actually quite good and it's hard to pass on a flaming drink. It might not be worth driving all the way out for it BUT, if in the area, I would definitely have a drink there.

www.monjinlau.com

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-22 12:51 am   Permalink

I've lived in Michigan most of my life and never knew there were still tiki places around. I need to get out more (especially since I grew up and now live less then half a mile from where the Boom Boom Room was).My interest in tiki is more to do with creating an atmosphere where I can feel at home then just collecting mugs and tasty drinks (which I quite enjoy). Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: ErkNoLikeFire 2010-08-22 00:57 ]

hungry tiki

Posted: 2010-08-29 07:50 am   Permalink

i live in the Livonia area and have been collecting better part of the last 20 years! used to be a great swap meet down by the airport (DTW) that closed there's still a decent flea market on middlebelt south of the airport kinda hit or miss but worth checking out if your in the area. here is 2 of my finds!

[ This Message was edited by: hungry tiki 2010-08-29 07:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hungry tiki 2010-08-29 07:54 ]

View Profile of hungry tiki Send a personal message to hungry tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-29 08:15 am   Permalink

there's plenty in MI. you just have to keep looking.

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 5:52 pm   Permalink

Wow, these are all really awesome finds! I have the day off tomorrow so I'll be driving around searching for loot. I hope I can find something even half as cool. Thanks for giving a guy some hope!

PeleeTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-30 8:12 pm   Permalink

It's out there. Build it and they will come.

View Profile of PeleeTiki Send a personal message to PeleeTiki  Email PeleeTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-31 2:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-29 08:15, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
there's plenty in MI. you just have to keep looking.

Did you sell every last one of those lamps?
Refresh my memory where they came out of...was it Chin Tiki ?
Mahalos

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-01 10:27 pm   Permalink

Those are some very nice lamps.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-09-01 10:46 pm   Permalink

Regarding those lamps, here's FZ's original thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32744&forum=5

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation