FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-25 12:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-24 22:48, JOHN-O wrote:

I stand corrected.

Donuts ARE Tiki !!

GROG second that!!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 12:25 am   Permalink

I concur!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nokala Rocky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-25 12:26 am   Permalink

JohnO! What a great post! I've been up all night here at work, and read this from the beginning. It's 3:30 am and now I want a Zombie! Of course in another hour I'll feel like one!

View Profile of Nokala Rocky Send a personal message to Nokala Rocky  Email Nokala Rocky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 10:07 am   Permalink

Hey John-O

Excellent thread!

I can say we, too, have been all around the country going to tiki bars, and the Foundation is truly outstanding and one of my all-time favorite bars, period. The drinks are excellent, the vibe is absolutely perfect... lots of other great bars in Milwaukee and the surrounding areas, too- tiki-and-non (Bryant's, Safe House, At Random, and of course the Rendez'vous in Kenosha for your Tiki/Pirate fix...)

We live in Chicago, but are up in Milwaukee at least once a month hittin' the old stomping grounds.

And the Chef is a MUST VISIT! Great food, strong drinks, awesome owners, and one of the most classic joints in the Midwest. Be sure to aim for the third Saturday of the month for some top-shelf entertainment and Midwestern Ohana to go with yr egg rolls and Dr. Fongs!

If you're making the Chicago-area rounds (I'm sure you've already been to Hala Kahiki), you should check out The Breakers in Crystal Lake as well- it's off the beaten path, but well worth the time it takes to get there. Good food, great staff, solid drinks, and a totally classic Tiki vibe. It's also on the way to Wisconsin, if you don't mind veering off course a bit.

In the meantime, it seems I gotta start looking into finally heading out to Portland and checking out what they've got going on out there...

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 11:22 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the great recommendations Pete !!

One chief reason I really want to visit the Foundation Bar is that it's owned by Don Nelson of the Exotics surf band. They toured So Ca a couple of years ago and I've enjoyed them performing at many Tiki events like Oasis and Hukilau as well as the SG101 Convention.

I first met Don several years ago when 4 guys asked me to take their picture in front of a Tiki at San Francisco's famous Tonga Room. They thanked me and gave me their band sticker. I said "Hey, I know who you guys are !!"

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 3:45 pm   Permalink

You said it about the Exotics! Those guys are aces all the way.

Don actually built a little stage in the the back of Foundation maybe a year or so ago so they can play there from time to time.

Also, they shot all their promo photos for that recent 7" they released at The Safe House, which is a must-visit on yr Milwaukee expedition. It's not Tiki (the Mata Hari booth MIGHT count as Exotic at least...)but it IS an awesome spy-themed restaurant with revolving book cases, a secret entrance, and tons of great mixed drinks in take-home glassware. They've been in business since 1966... Very cool place!

Interestingly, we first met the Exotics guys in a similar weird twist; we were seated right next to them at the Mai Kai during Hukilau.. we were chatting at the table, they said they were from Milwaukee, to which we began spewing accolades on the Foundation. Little did we know at the time it's Don's bar!

It's a homey little community we got here...

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-29 12:02 pm   Permalink

Hey John-O that was really fun to see. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 7:46 pm   Permalink

"Man, you don't stand a chance if you go down in Chinatown" - Thin Lizzy

"How do you get shirts so clean Mr. Lee ?"... "Ancient Chinese Secret" - 1970's Calgon commercial

"Chinese... Japanese... Dirty Knees... TIKIS !!" - Popular playground limerick (JOHN-O version)

Mid-century Chinese dive bars in the tradition of LA's Hop Louie and the lamented
Yee Mee Loo have always been a favorite of mine. I love that combination of historic character, "Chinky Chinese" kitsch, noir-ish atmosphere, and colorful locals.

Unfortunately in Los Angeles, these Chop Suey era bars are pretty much extinct.

San Francisco, on the other hand, is a different story.

Recently I was creepy crawling around SF's Chinatown and documented some places with that old-school flavor. I was even able to order a Mai Tai at each spot, but I did have to put aside any direct comparisons to the Trader Vic's classic version.

1. Li Po

From its vintage neon sign to the golden Buddha shrine, this place was tops when it comes to that aura of exotic Oriental mystery. Most appropriately it's probably Chinatown's oldest bar dating back to the 1930's. It's also home to the Chinese Mai Tai where the special ingredient is Chinese whiskey !!

2. Buddha Lounge

Right across the street from Li Po, this bar dates back to the 1940's although I'm skeptical that "Buddha" was the original name. Unlike Li Po, there were no Buddhas in sight. It did however seem like a good place to obtain alcoholic enlightenment. And why hasn't anyone opened up a Jesus themed bar ??

3. Empress of China

Just down the street was this multi-floor banquet hall. While not really a dive bar, the 5th floor cocktail lounge did have a retro vibe of faded glamour. This feeling was reinforced by all of the celebrity photographs on the ground floor dating from the 1960's through the mid 70's when this place was the Chinatown shit. Great views of Coit Tower but they do close early at 10pm.

4. Bow Bow Lounge

Actually I think Bow Wow Lounge sounds cooler but I guess that's not very Chinesy. This place isn't quite as mid-century old as some of the other bars listed, but it is well known for the nightly karaoke. My bartender generously serenaded me and the only other sole patron with two Chinese Pop songs. Try to get service like that at the Tiki-Ti !!

5. Red's Place

This place also claims to be one of the oldest bars in Chinatown but I think Li Po has it beat by several years. They did dig up a vintage photo for me to study. My bartender first made me a Chinese Mai Tai but later mixed me a Ginger Mojito (their house special) on the house when she learned I was on assignment for Tiki Central. It was my favorite cocktail of the evening !!

6. Mr. Bing's

The infamous Mr. Bing's !! ... was closed the night I tried to visit.

And just outside of Chinatown, I was able to visit these extra credit TIKI bars...

7. Hawaii West

This cool Tiki dive bar flies low on the radar on TC and that's really a shame. Dating back to the late 60's, it's been owned by two generations of the same Hawaiian family. I thought the Korean soap operas being played on the TV was a nice touch and it was certainly the most patriotic Mai Tai I've ever had. But really though, shouldn't it be Hawaii "East" ??

8. Bamboo Hut

Situated in Broadway's nudie club district, this Revival place is like the evil Tiki brother to Disney's Trader Sam's. I thought the large lighted Moai hanging on the black lava rock wall was pretty cool. They told me it came from a defunct Arizona Tiki bar. Also The Hula Girls played here once !!

And now I'm making a clean break to Smuggler's Cove for one of their Caucasian Mai Tais !!...

The End.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 9:38 pm   Permalink

Great Work John O,
I think the Swank Bastards have played there also.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2013-02-06 9:44 pm   Permalink

They can say "Defunct Arizona Tiki Bar" if they want but we know it's from the Coral Reef in Sacramento.

Arizona!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 10:05 pm   Permalink

Been to the Bamboo Hut around 2000, has it changed much since then?
I remember some of the S.F. swing (Swing Dancing) scene people hanging out there.

Thanks for documenting, John-O!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-07 5:29 pm   Permalink

John-O,

The Buddha is one of my go to dives when I am in Chinatown. These paintings by Sean Kirkpatrick adorn my walls.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-08 1:22 pm   Permalink

Amazing stuff, John!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-14 6:50 pm   Permalink

I had these extra photos on my Smartphone so I thought I'd post them.

More Empress of China celebrities... Jayne Mansfield, Raymond Burr, and Lana Turner...

And hey, they all have a connection to Tiki !! (for you trivia buffs)...

And yes, Jayne Mansfield was Tiki !! Skeptics, go
here and here.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-02-15 11:31 ]

finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 6:48 pm   Permalink

I was at Tiki Oasis in 2011 and a handful of folks were talking about doing the "Exotic Far East" as the theme of a future TO. This forum certainly proves it would be viable and a heck of a fun idea. Keep up the great work, John-O!

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation