FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 11:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-18 10:52, White Devil wrote:
Unfortunately, the Atlanta Trader Vic's is turning into a drag queen hangout on Thursday nights...

...I don't think they'd have to look very far to find genuine wahines, and I can only imagine what these bozos/bozettes sound like. I think real tikiphiles should register their opinions about this with Trader Vic's management.

TVs should stand for Trader Vic's, and not anything else.

Oh White Devil, don't be such a hater !! Don't you know that "Third Genderism" is an accepted lifestyle in many Polynesian cultures.

Cross-dressing is Tiki !! I'll mention this to Otto in case he's running out of theme ideas.

EDIT - Let me correct my grammar. I meant to say the "Third GENDER".

"Genderism" would imply bias against said gender.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-07-18 19:29 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-07-18 11:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-18 11:11, JOHN-O wrote:
Oh White Devil, don't be such a hater !! Don't you know that "Third Genderism" is an accepted lifestyle in many Polynesian cultures.

Cross-dressing is Tiki !! I'll mention this to Otto in case he's running out of theme ideas.

Look, I'm perfectly tolerant of you dressing up like Vince Masuka from "Dexter" at Hukilau, but I draw the line there, bud.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 12:46 pm   Permalink

Hey, Anything is better then a "Hipster Crowd"
those kids are incapable of having a good time.....not to mention their insufferable sense (Lack of!) style

Like Ed Wood said: I need more Transvestites!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-18 12:48 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Don's get pretty hipster after the sun goes down. Scary!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-18 12:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-18 10:52, White Devil wrote:
Unfortunately, the Atlanta Trader Vic's is turning into a drag queen hangout on Thursday nights...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=328276533970809&set=a.111944038937394.15196.101202020011596&type=1&theater

I don't think they'd have to look very far to find genuine wahines, and I can only imagine what these bozos/bozettes sound like. I think real tikiphiles should register their opinions about this with Trader Vic's management.

TVs should stand for Trader Vic's, and not anything else.

[ This Message was edited by: White Devil 2013-07-18 11:12 ]

It doesn't bother me at all, then again I'm funny like that, as are quite a few other tiki people.

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-07-18 12:57 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 1:01 pm   Permalink

And we need more funny "Tiki" People!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-07-18 1:04 pm   Permalink

Yeah, hipsters are pretty gag-inducing as well: we get a bellyful of them in our college town. I don't mean to sound intolerant of transgenders and whatnot: it's purely a matter of relevant entertainment. Singing drag queens has as much to do with Polynesian cuisine & atmosphere as a Pink Floyd cover band or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-18 1:11 pm   Permalink

Tiki and drag queens are both subcultures that love their kitsch. I'm guessing that is the tie-in or maybe it is the tv's at TV's theme.
The performers lip-synch so there isn't any slaughtering of Lady Gaga songs.

Fa'afafine: The boys raised to be girls
www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1789586/Fa'afafine:-The-boys-raised-to-be-girls

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-07-19 08:14 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-07-18 1:17 pm   Permalink

So do we want the uncomprehending public to associate one of our most esteemed tiki franchises & subcultures with Margaritaville, Party City crepe paper & now drag queens? Are we ready for the collapse of the tiki revival?

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 1:19 pm   Permalink

At least they're not closing down.
(When I was a wee lad, use to see the Smothers Bros at Don the Beachcomber
in Coronal Del Mar. Far from Tiki or Exotica.)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 1:31 pm   Permalink

Who cares what the "uncomprehending public" thinks ??

As long as Hipsters, Parrotheads, Drag Queens, etc. are spending their cash in the Tiki Bar, that's all that matters.

$$$ is what keeps the Tiki Revival alive, at least from the standpoint of commercial Tiki establishments.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-07-18 1:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-18 13:31, JOHN-O wrote:
Who cares what the "uncomprehending public" thinks ??

As long as Hipsters, Parrotheads, Drag Queens, etc. are spending their cash in the Tiki Bar, that's all that matters.

$$$ is what keeps the Tiki Revival alive, at least from the standpoint of commercial Tiki establishments.

The elitist capitalist in me agrees with you, but the tiki elitist in me is preparing protest signage. The ATL Trader Vic's is in the basement of the downtown Hilton, and relies a great deal upon the uncomprehending hotel patrons who wander in for unplanned visits. I have to wonder how many will stick around when they hear RuPaul belting out one in the bar?

[ This Message was edited by: White Devil 2013-07-18 13:47 ]

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 8:42 pm   Permalink

Hey at least your ATL female impersonators and drag shows have a connection to the original Tiki era (think "Some Like it Hot").

Our own So Cal. Don the Beachcomber hosts KISS tribute bands, Led Zeppelin (all female) tribute bands, Reggae Sundays, and events we affectionately refer to as "Cougar" speed dating.

And you know what ? WE LIKE IT !!

( Well maybe not Boris. And Atomic Tiki Punk goes postal when there's Karaoke in the Dagger Bar. )

LostIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-18 8:47 pm   Permalink

I can relate to ATP, karaoke has that effect on me anytime I am unfortunate enough to hear it..

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2013-07-18 9:34 pm   Permalink

Whatever a classic Tiki Establishment needs to do to hang in there is fine with me but please don't post Comedy Traffic School (as an example) here as a Tiki Event. If Bahooka were still around and had Drag Queen Thursdays, I'd be happy that it was still there.

In the meantime John-O, please have another Zombie somewhere and get this thread back on track.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation