FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 3:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-09 14:47, GatorRob wrote:
The 2nd maiden probably had a big tattoo on her back, ruining the whole "exotica girl" illusion.

Yakuza girls are exotic too, y'know...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-09-09 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-09 11:17, tikilongbeach wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-09-09 10:44, Hale Tiki wrote:
Acbar, that has got to be a Star Wars reference.

I Googled it and Acabar is a Spanish verb meaning 'to finish'. I'm not sure if that is what they're referencing though. The menu is global.

http://acabar-la.com/

http://www.lamag.com/lafood/digestblog/2013/08/07/take-a-close-look-at-acabars-cocktail-program

Hmmm, it sounds like that "on tap" Zombie might actually be good. From the LA Magazine article above it shows that their Zombie contains:

Jamaican Rum,
Puerto Rican Rum
Lemon-Heart 151
Lime
Don’s Mix
Falernum

That's pretty much the 1934 Zombie Punch detailed by Beachbum Berry.

Their other cocktails look to be well thought out too.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-08 23:16, Ho-Tep-Nefti wrote:
I said I hadn't been there yet;
don't be haters til you've tried it.
Who's first?

I know, Ho-Tep-Nefti, such Tiki intolerance around here !!

OK, so I was driving past on Sunset from Tiki Ti last night so I popped in to check it out.

Wow, Acabar is one swanky place !!

Not Tiki, but it really had a Middle Eastern "Exotica" vibe to it, like stepping into mid-century
Belly Dancing album cover.

As advertised the Zombie is served on tap. I know that sounds crass but the cocktail was actually very tasty, it was a pretty solid 1934 Zombie. Not only that but they lit the 151 soaked lime on fire.

Here's the ingredients which go into the pre-mix...

At $14 I thought it was kind of pricey for an "on tap" cocktail but then I remembered I had just spent $18 on a drink at the Tiki Ti. Also you'll be hard pressed to find sexier environs in which to imbibe Tropical drinks.

They also had several rum punches and an interesting green drink called the Chartreuse Swizzle but I was already too buzzed from Tiki Ti to try them.

I might try to organize a mid-week TC night there, I think the Tiki peeps will like it.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 11:02 am   Permalink

John-O, I so totally agree with almost all of your tiki tie-ins to other forms of "exotica"...(well, not hillbilly = tiki, but that's another kettle of fish)

But in general....you are so right! I looked at those 50's/60's belly dancing album covers (of which I also have a sizeable collection) and can totally get it.

I mentioned something similar just today in this thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=46106&forum=11&2

as regarding a mexican restaurant that has the same concept as the famed "Tikis" in Monterrey park.....

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 12:45 pm   Permalink

The Chartreuse Swizzle is an excellent drink. There are several variations on various boozeblogs but the one I usually mix up is this one from Cocktail Virgin:

2 oz Green Chartreuse
1 1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Lime Juice
1/4 oz Falernum (Velvet)
1 tsp (1/6 oz) J. Wray and Nephew Rum
2 dash Angostura Bitters

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-09-17 09:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

Very cool. Reminiscent of Rick's Cafe Americain.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 07:48 am   Permalink

Acabar is the successor to the magnificent Moroccan restaurant Dar Magrheb.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-20 1:47 pm   Permalink

It's Barcopa on Santa Monica's trendy Main Street...

For interested urban archeologists, this was the site of the Pink Elephant, a Gay bar back in the 1970's when the area was Santa Monica's version of Skid Row (the "Dogtown" days). In the 1990's the "Elephant" signage faded away and the place became known as just "The Pink". Somewhere along the gentrification timeline it became Barcopa. (On another interesting note, Wolfgang Puck's restaurant across the street, Chinois on Main, used to be the notorious Punk Rock club Blackies.)

Anyway, Barcopa just recently started offering this Tiki cocktail menu...

And no this doesn't appear to be a one off, this is the ONLY specialized drink menu they provide. They even painted the world "TIKI" on the outside of the building.

The thing that makes this interesting is that BarCopa is by no means an "Exotic" themed bar (i.e. Tiki, Middle Eastern, or Pre-Castro Cuban). It's your standard Westside dance club frequented by beach locals, college students, and tourists.

The Zombie I had wasn't the 1934 Don's version, it was more the 1950's version. Right now, they said it wasn't cost effective for them to stock Lemon Hart 151 (not enough drinks to use it in) however the bar group that Barcopa belongs to (which includes The Association in Downtown L.A.) has commissioned their own private reserve with Mount Gay !...

Not bad.

And the drinks are really good value, $7 during Happy Hour (9pm-11pm) and $9 after that. Again, this place is more of a dance club than bar so it's normally only open Thu-Sat, and occasionally on Wed and Suns.

Their target audience isn't Tikiphiles (or even discerning New Cocktailians) but the Tiki experiment seems to be paying off as they've been getting great feedback on the new drink menu.

"Tiki" really seems to be going mainstream these days.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-24 06:01 am   Permalink

Good post.
I passed by recently, and I wondered "What is up?"
I checked their Yelp page and wondered if it was an end-of-summer promotion, to be replaced by Octoberfest.
But, thanks to your reporting, I am glad they are sharing the Tiki love.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
farahcasis

Posted: 2013-09-25 4:18 pm   Permalink

Hi John - thank you for the cool review of our new Tiki Menu at Barcopa.

We welcome all of you to come visit us in the near future... I would love to organize a fun happy hour for Tiki Central members or maybe a monthly event for Tiki lovers in the area? Feel free to email me at
farahcasis@gmail.com.

Farah

View Profile of farahcasis Send a personal message to farahcasis  Email farahcasis Goto the website of farahcasis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-27 11:19 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-10-22 17:57 ]

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 5:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-27 11:19, JOHN-O wrote:
Thanks Farah.

OK we're on for Oct 24 at Barcopa for "Tiki Thursday" !!

I'll post in Tiki Events as we get closer to that date.

BUMP !!

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 6:03 pm   Permalink

Any road trips planned for 11/12-11/19?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 3:10 pm   Permalink

Try this

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-11-05 10:05 ]

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 7:11 pm   Permalink

Me & my big mouth!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation