FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-14 5:09 pm   Permalink

Big Thanks Brent! I am living vicariously through you and John-O for this Mai Kai adventure.
give me more.....more.....

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 07:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-25 01:27, JOHN-O wrote:

"I'd like a Zombie, a Mai Tai, and 1 of your Painkillers"

"I'm JOHN-O from Tiki Central by the way, this is my first time here."

(Handing my credit card over)

Bartender: "Don't worry about it, the drinks are on me."

Nice presentation by Tiki No.
Even better price.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 10:09 pm   Permalink

Well I wrote a Part 2 but after reading it, I decided my words couldn't appropriately channel the Tiki emotion of a drunken Swanky.

Let's just put it this way...

The Mai Kai is indeed Tiki Mecca.

Is it Mecca in that it's the greatest Tiki temple still in existence, with the largest scale, grandest history, most Tikis, and best drinks? You could probably say yes to all those things.

I however like to think of it as Mecca, in that it inspired me to truly appreciate Tiki the way it was in its Mid-century heyday. It was like stepping into a living breathing "Book of Tiki". It took me several contemplative visits, the collective Hukilau Mana (and many many cocktails ) to finally realize this.

You might assume my "pilgrimage" would make my subsequent visits to my local So Ca Tiki bars feel like second-best. On the contrary, it had just the opposite effect. Now I think I'm going to cherish more than ever the unique details which make every Tiki Bar special, and to take my heightened Tiki consciousness with me wherever I'm drinking...

From Don's… to the Tonga Hut… and yes even to Bellflower's Hawaiian Room.

Thank you Mai Kai (and Hukilau) !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 10:30 pm   Permalink

John-O,

Well said, Bravo!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 10:37 pm   Permalink

OK then!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-16 09:44 am   Permalink

John-O,
I hope to bring my Mai-Kai tour (minus the drunken aspect) to everyone for next year's Hukilau. Lots of details, but maybe a walking history tour along with a presentation. I am doing a Mai-Kai presentation at Oasis this year and will likely bring it to Hukilau as well next year.
Great to meet you and many other TCers this year! The true Ohana keeps growing!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-16 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-16 09:44, Swanky wrote:
I hope to bring my Mai-Kai tour (minus the drunken aspect) to everyone for next year's Hukilau. Lots of details, but maybe a walking history tour along with a presentation. I am doing a Mai-Kai presentation at Oasis this year and will likely bring it to Hukilau as well next year.

Sign me up! But you'd better carry a little pennant when you lead the tour, like they do at the Disney theme parks.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-19 3:46 pm   Permalink

Bali Hai...

This was my first visit since the remodel of last year. They did a great job, it's all very tasteful, befitting the space-age design. I often wonder how "Tikied-out", the interior actually was back in the 1960's.

You know I had the Zombie, took a picture of the Zombie but I can't for the life of me remember what it was like. Not after the Bali Hai's famous Mai Tai(s) as a follow-up. Only at the Bali Hai, is the Mai Tai stronger than the Zombie !! So let's discuss that…

Not a Don's Mai Tai, not a Vic's Mai Tai, it was "Mai Tai" in name only. With 2 different types of rum and NO juice, it was rude, it was crude, it was shocking. It was also a very Tiki efficient way to get from Point A to Point B. A manly man's Tropical cocktail to be sure. Does this recipe actually date back to the mid-1950's for them?

Yes I know Grog Log purists might be horrified, but this drink got me to thinking. If the heart of Tiki Revival culture is truly (in Bigbro's words), "Ancestor Worship" then shouldn't we always put historical accuracy before mixology quality? Let's say for the sake of argument the Mai Tai at the Bali Hai is the exact same recipe they were using 50 years ago. As Tikiphiles, shouldn't we opt for that "keepin' it real" experience rather than enjoying a artfully crafted cocktail using fresh juices and premium rums?

If you've read my previous posts on this thread, then you know the cocktails at historical landmarks like the Tonga Room and the Hale Kahiki are also considered below par based on today's New Cocktailian standards. If they are indeed serving up the same drinks, wouldn't our Tiki preference be to experience them in the EXACT fashion as our Tiki forefathers? We'd like to think that every cocktail back in the day was like drinking at Smuggler's Cove but isn't that just wishful thinking on our part?

Just take one for the team.

Do it for Tiki !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-19 10:45 pm   Permalink

We have discussed this before here. In my mind, "ancestor worship" means keeping the SPIRIT of previous generations alive by reenacting their traditions - but that not to the degree of slavishly copying their ways. As in any religion, if a tradition does not adapt to the changes of the outside world, it will not evolve and eventually petrify and die out. On the other hand, if a mystical path is adapted and modernized TOO much so it looses sight of its origins, it is equally doomed.

The challenge to walk this fine line between keeping a thing alive or compromising its essence has fractured many religions into splinter groups that claim authenticity and denounce the others. My work is trying to maintain that balance for the contemporary cult of Tiki.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacklagoon
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-06-20 08:51 am   Permalink

I have really enjoyed reading this thread and will be in LA soon, I look forward to trying some of your recommendations.

Paul

View Profile of blacklagoon Send a personal message to blacklagoon  Email blacklagoon Goto the website of blacklagoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 8:48 pm   Permalink

OK, Disney (or rather the post-1960's cultural impact of the Disney corporation) has never been my cup of tea.

To this historic dive bar loving Tikiphile, the concept of "Disneyfication" is horrifying...

Dis-ney-fi-ca-tion (noun)

: the transformation (as of something real or unsettling) into carefully controlled and safe entertainment or an environment with similar qualities.

Yes, I enjoyed Disneyland as a pre-teen but as I've grown older, the nostalgia of those childhood memories has grown less and less. In retrospect, I think Bukowski pegged Uncle Walt's legacy
correctly.

And isn't this place in San Francisco the real "Trader Sam's" anyway?

So all that said, what was this Disney grinch's take on this "new" Trader Sam's?...

I must admit, it was a REAL Tiki bar, very true to the spirit of mid-century Tiki-style. I'd put it one notch below the Tiki Revival perfection of places like Forbidden Island and Frankie's Tiki Room but higher than Trader Vic's recent efforts like Downtown LA.

They nailed the background music, as I heard the sounds of Tikiyaki Orchestra upon entering. After that, it was all classic Exotica.

Their version of the Zombie, the "Shrunken Head Zombie", was by no means a classic 1934 Zombie but it was apparent they are taking their mixology seriously. The bourbon drink "Shipwreck on the Rocks" was excellent !!

If you really want a sublime Tropical cocktail, order the off-menu "Pluto's Punch". You have to ask the lovely Rhonda to mix it for you (but only if she deems you Tiki-worthy).

I also ran into Dinah DeRosa who was there on a photo shoot for the OC Weekly.

All in all an excellent visit !! (But I still hate Mickey Mouse).

telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 05:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-23 20:48, JOHN-O wrote:

\
All in all an excellent visit !! (But I still hate Mickey Mouse).

John-O:

Isn't there a special place in Hell for those who hate Mickey?

Are am I taking my Dante just a bit too seriously?

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 06:00 am   Permalink

It seems that Disneyland was the introduction to Tiki for many here
my observation is this applies to TCers who were to young to be exposed to actual Tiki bars or supper clubs
maybe some of the older TCers can chime in on this?

But I am with John-O on this one, I share no sentimentality with the enchanted Tiki room as it has no
relation to an actual Tiki Bar, cocktails and all.

After all one was aimed squarely at kids and the other strictly for adults and at this stage in my life
I prefer the later.

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 12:16 pm   Permalink

So after an all to short visit to Trader Sam's, To short to really take in the place
at least I was able to enjoy the bar for a few minutes so I ordered a Pluto's Punch
as per John-Os recommendation and I gotta say this is one of the best cocktails
that I have had in a while, top notch! sublime! tasty as hell! four stars!

I had to get to back to the home territory and could not stay longer, a Zombie will have to wait until next time.

CTiT out.....

[ This Message was edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-06-26 12:17 ]

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 02:03 am   Permalink

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation