FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 06:20 am   Permalink

The Hong Kong Inn in Ventura...

This place is a 1960's "chop suey" time warp complete with
Polynesian floor show and full Tropical cocktail menu. Now while Martin Cate has nothing to worry about with their version of the Zombie, the HKI does have one particular advantage over Smuggler's Cove. In the on-going circular argument of defining Tiki concepts like Tiki Art and Tiki Music, on this matter there can be no argument.

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is Tiki Food...

(image courtesy of ATP)

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 01:02 am   Permalink

Ok, so for the third attempt in the last several years I try to order a Zombie at Lakanuki (Mammoth Lakes like all ski towns is a sausage fest). I get the same reply as the first two times...

"What's a Zombie ??" (FYI, that's a Mai Tai above. They do have that on the menu.)

Oh well, at least this has to be the highest elevation (at 8100 feet) Tiki bar ever in existence. Here's me and heylownine with a Tiki that towers over all...

And they do have the requisite "Book of Tiki" collage in the restroom.

And check out this mural below, it's a Tiki in leiderhosen !!...

German culture and Tiki, who would have thunk ??

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-07-18 11:40 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 10:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-02 01:02, JOHN-O wrote:
And check out this mural, it's a Tiki in leiderhosen !!...

German culture and Tiki, who would have thunk ??

Sven for one! & Sabu also

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-04-03 07:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-02 01:02, JOHN-O wrote:
Ok, so for the third attempt in the last several years I try to order a Zombie at Lakanuki (Mammoth Lakes like all ski towns is a sausage fest). I get the same reply as the first two times...

"What's a Zombie ??"

I can vouch for that...John-O is out there fighting the good (zombie) fight!

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-18 11:33 am   Permalink

The craft cocktail boom has exploded to such an extent that these days some of the best Tropical drinks can be found outside of the Tiki bar. La Descarga, located in East Hollywood, is one such place. Recently they've started a weekly Tiki night to focus on our favorite libations. See
here for more pics.

La Descarga is a beautiful and stylish place, paying homage to the Havana nightclubs that flourished before Castro. This is a great place to dress up in your best cocktail attire, leaving the shorts and flip-flops at home.

They actually had two Zombies on the menu, a Zombie Punch and a Haitian Zombie. The Zombie Punch was an excellent 1934 Don's version, although I wish they served it in a proper Collins glass rather than a Hurricane glass. The Haitian Zombie was a little too coconutty for me but I should have expected that given it's served in a real coconut.

What I was really surprised to see was a version of the Mai Kai's famous Black Magic drink, which next time I'll certainly have to try.

So if you want to experience "Tiki in Cuba", this is the most legal and inexpensive way to do that, short of traveling to the former Trader Vic's in Havana (which I understand is still a Tiki bar).

And on a side note, here's me in the Tiki bar at Graceland. Unfortunately the bartender wasn't mixing Zombies at the time. But as you can see, the spirit of Elvis did inhabit my body, I'm very popular at Karaoke nights now.

Marty Lush
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-18 2:26 pm   Permalink

John O, You are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of Marty Lush Send a personal message to Marty Lush  Email Marty Lush     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 8:38 pm   Permalink

North Carolina...

Strip clubs, tanning salons, and Mongolian BBQ !!!

But no Zombies (or even actual Tikis).

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 8:49 pm   Permalink

Hows the BBQ?
Mongolian, and down south style?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-26 12:18 pm   Permalink

Great post! You seem like you do more tiki traveling than me. Not that I am an expert, but reading this makes me feel like I have never been to a tiki bar at all. Keep up the good work!

Now that I have spent over an hour on this one thread, it is back to work for me.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2012-09-26 17:10 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 4:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-25 20:49, bigtikidude wrote:

Hows the BBQ?...

Amazing !!...

So if "tourist luau" Kalua pork is considered Tiki food then why can't Carolina-style pulled pork be Tiki food too ??

I say it is !!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 5:11 pm   Permalink

BBQ & Tiki, I say yes, There has always been a BBQ element to
the Island & Asian cuisine that has been served at so many Tiki Restaurants.

Since I am the sole survivor of the "Great Tiki Food Wars" I got some say on the subject!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-28 9:22 pm   Permalink

Trader Vic's Atlanta...  at last !!

I was too late for TV Dallas and TV Chicago, but thank goodness I made it here in time.

TV Atlanta was the last remaining vintage ( if 1976 can be considered vintage) U.S. Tiki destination on my Zombie Road Trip.  It did not disappoint.  It's probably the most purist TV (even more so than Emeryville) in that it's the last remaining American location inside a Hilton hotel.  

Not only that, it's in the friggin' basement...

This was the classic Tiki dungeon labyrinth of my dreams. And despite it's Jimmy Carter-era pedigree, I like to imagine that back in the day this was the place that traveling salesmen tried to get lucky with Mai Tai inebriated Delta Airline stews.

TV Atlanta is awesome !!  

(Portia, your lovely Tiki hostess)

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-17 12:31 am   Permalink

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-17 12:32 am   Permalink

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-17 12:32 am   Permalink

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation