Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Gallery » » Aaron Marshall paintings and carvings
Aaron Marshall paintings and carvings
sirginn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-24 5:04 pm   Permalink

Aaron Marshall is one of my favorite artists, and his works often feature a tiki theme. He has been mentioned on occasion on TC, but not much has been posted in regards to his images.

I have been fortunate to add several of his works to our collection over the years.

He recently sent me some new images including some carvings that he did with his friend Sam Plumley, and I mentioned that the TC community would likely be receptive and appreciative of his talent, he requested I post the images along with his contact info.

If you like what you see below, feel free to contact him regarding questions or commissions at:
hificaveman@yahoo.ca

Brief Bio:
From the woods of Ontario to the beaches of bc. Surfing in Tofino, then the Big City—Victoria, Vancouver, Los Angeles. Aaron Marshall currently resides on Vancouver Island. His earliest influences stem from his big brother Andy who, while babysitting Aaron, pinstriped and customized hot rods and took him to car shows.

Other influences include Saturday morning cartoons—greeting from the Jetsons— B-movies, album cover art, music and skateboarding. Aaron’s work is rife with imagery from the collective conscious of these subcultures: slick ‘50s females lounge, space aliens lurk and beach bunnies bop to tunes from a transistor radio in the tiki bar surroundings of Trader Vic’s.

His work has been featured in the premier lowbrow/pop surrealism galleries of the nation, including sold out shows at La Luz de Jesus gallery, and at Seattle’s Roq La Rue gallery. Marshall’s work has appeared in Super X Media and Juxtapoz magazine, his merchandise including prints, stickers, shirts can be obtained from http://www.posterpop.com

additional images may be seen at these links featuring his La Luz de Jesus shows:
http://www.laluzdejesus.com/previousframes.html
http://www.laluzdejesus.com/previousframes.html

Some of my favorite paintings, and a few in our collection:

Carvings by Aaron and Sam Plumley:

[ This Message was edited by: sirginn 2010-09-09 16:19 ]

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-24 5:24 pm   Permalink

Pretty cool art, I'm diggin them all; The paintings have great subject juxtaposition and are vibrant due to the color palette in use. The carvings are interesting as well. Thanks for the post.

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-25 09:22 am   Permalink

AARON MARSHALL is one awesome artist!
His off-kilter interpretations of retro
truly freshens things up a bit!
Thanks for sharing these awesome paintings and sculptures!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-25 09:49 am   Permalink

Good stuff. You can definitely see some influences in his work from other lowbrow artists like Mark Ryden, and Todd Schorr. GROG like.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2010-08-25 09:55 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-25 09:51 am   Permalink

Love this! Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64

Posted: 2010-08-25 10:53 am   Permalink

Love Aaron's work! It's so finely executed and full of inspirational kitsch madness. We were fortunate enough to pick up a little print of one of his pieces from Matt at Poster Pop at Comicon this year. Those carvings look awesome, too. Thanks for sharing parts of your collection.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj

Posted: 2010-09-01 4:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting these sirginn. I think I might semi-know you, or used to bump into you and your wife at La Luz shows, etc. We have an Aaron Marshall painting from his 2001 show with the great title, "You Think I'll Take Your Order, Boy? You Must Be Fucking Dreaming!" I think that was made into a print later. I like the little abstract sputnik painting-in-a-paintings that he puts in the compositions a lot of times.

I thought he kinda disappeared from the art world, or maybe got into other things for awhile, but anyway it's neat to see some new stuff. Funny how the cat carvings have the same "Area 51" eyes as a lot of his tikis!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-02 07:29 am   Permalink

every piece is steller! I think I'll go back and look again.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sirginn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-09 4:04 pm   Permalink

Glad you all appreciate Aaron's art as much as me.

AquaJ, you lucky dog, that is one of my favorite images, and was my favorite painting at that LaLuz show. They did do a print of it which I also own, but failed to post.

Aaron, has been a little below the radar, but hopefully that is about to change....

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation