FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Vintage Hostess Stand
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Vintage Hostess Stand
kawikasurf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-03 12:38 am   Permalink

Well, I’m almost finished. It’s close enough to being completed that I can now post some fairly definitive “after” photos. I still have a lot of work to do on the surrounding area but, for purposes of this “photo shoot” I brought down a few tiki accoutrements from upstairs, where the bulk of my tiki stuff resides.

All things considered, I’m pretty happy with the outcome. As with most projects, starting over, I can see a few things I’d do differently.

I had ordered a grass cloth covering for the sides of my mini-tiki bar/hostess stand.

I had considered using bamboo slats or half rounds as a siding but, frankly, the darn thing is heavy enough as it is and I know I'm going to have to move it up the stairs again some day. Besides, the hostess stand originally had a woven grass matting and I wanted to stay within the original spirit.

I selected a natural cattail grass over a forest green background.

It’s why I chose red oak for the bar-top. I thought that the deep reddish color would contrast with the natural bamboo trim and also look good with the forest green grass cloth background.

In retrospect, I’m not certain how well I actually succeeded. It looks good enough, I suppose, but I really should have waited until I had the grass cloth in-hand before proceeding with the top. I ordered the grass cloth online – I didn’t actually see an in-person sample. On the computer screen, the forest green background appeared to be more prominent. In person, especially in bright light, the natural grass coloring predominates.

Fortunately, I didn’t apply the final, thick and glossy bar-top coating nor did I permanently attach the individual bar-top planks and so I can either strip and re-stain the planks or, more likely, I’ll just replace the current top with some sort of exotic tropical wood - maybe an acacia, to simulate koa.

I reported earlier that I had replaced some moisture-damaged, particle-board areas along the base of the bar with new pine. I then sealed the entire underside with multiple coats of clear urethane. On the advice of my good buddy, Wally, a master woodworker who lives on Kaua’i, I also added heavy-duty nylon “feet.” It was good advice – thanks, Wally.

In retrospect, I should have ripped-out the entire base and replaced it all with pine. It’s structurally-sound as-is but, even after three coats of “stone” enamel and two coats of stone sealer, the areas I didn’t replace still look a bit “worked.” Yes, it's hidden underneath - but I know it's there.

Other than that, as I say, I’m pretty excited with the way things turned out. I’ve always wanted a tiki bar and now, finally, and even though it’s only a “mini,” I finally have one.

I’d like to figure-out what to do with the ugly wall behind the bar. I rent and so my options are limited. For photo-shoot purposes, I hung this little banner behind the bar to partially obscure the blank wall, . I’ll probably try to figure-out some way to mount some individual bamboo-framed thatch panels over the ugly white expanses. Another option is to cut-down some bamboo privacy fencing to fit over the wall, leaving cut-outs for the windows and vent. It’s a concrete wall and so it will take some thinking (once again, not a problem if I owned the house and could simply drill into the concrete). Another complicating factor is that the planter behind the bar is irrigated via automatic sprinklers and so whatever I do will have withstand some occasional, errant spray.

I’ll probably contrive some sort of grass canopy over the bar, too. Should be easy enough to make a bamboo frame and attach it to the overhead beams.

Guess the next project, in addition to working on the surrounding area, is to locate a couple of vintage bamboo or rattan barstools. I think that two of them is about the most the mini-bar can handle.

[ This Message was edited by: kawikasurf 2010-09-03 09:42 ]

View Profile of kawikasurf Send a personal message to kawikasurf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-05 10:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind comments kawikasurf.

I am looking out the window at grey skies on a cold, very wet day, so that sunny view in the latest photos from your place is looking pretty good at the moment.

If you want to have a look at some more of Wanganui, check out my "Wanganui Tiki Tour" thread in the Tiki Travel section.

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-06 04:01 am   Permalink

Nice vibe on your set up! You've done a quality job on the bar. Nice ukes too... is that a Kamaka concert I see there? Nice!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kawikasurf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-06 11:35 am   Permalink

Aloha Bono Bungalow - and mahalo. Sharp eye, there - you definitely know your ukes. Yep it's a Kamaka - and a concert at that. I have a few ukes that I actually play - Koaloha, a couple of Flukes for the beach, a Tahitian banjo - and then a bunch of semi-interesting wall hangers. I host an ukulele group on Sundays in San Clemente. Here's the website: www.meetup.com/ukulelesundays. Do you play? (Dumb question - how else would you have recognized the Kamaka?) In addition to Hawaiians who show-up, we get a lot lot tikiphiles at our kanikapila. Stop by if you're ever out this way. Matter of fact, come on out an bring yer wahine - we can jam o our ukes at the beach. Perversely, I own even more surfboards than ukuleles - we'll get you out on one

View Profile of kawikasurf Send a personal message to kawikasurf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kawikasurf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-06 11:37 am   Permalink

Hi Club Noumea,

Checked-out the tour. How totally cool. You're now officially my hero. Thanks a lot and keep living the life for all of us.

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-06 6:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-06 11:35, kawikasurf wrote:
Aloha Bono Bungalow - and mahalo. Sharp eye, there - you definitely know your ukes. Yep it's a Kamaka - and a concert at that. I have a few ukes that I actually play - Koaloha, a couple of Flukes for the beach, a Tahitian banjo - and then a bunch of semi-interesting wall hangers. I host an ukulele group on Sundays in San Clemente. Here's the website: http://www.meetup.com/ukulelesundays. Do you play? (Dumb question - how else would you have recognized the Kamaka?) In addition to Hawaiians who show-up, we get a lot lot tikiphiles at our kanikapila. Stop by if you're ever out this way. Matter of fact, come on out an bring yer wahine - we can jam o our ukes at the beach. Perversely, I own even more surfboards than ukuleles - we'll get you out on one

You are too kind... and I don't want to hijack your tiki bar thread. I do play and it's a great idea for all owners of home tiki bars to learn to play the uke! "My ... dog... has...fleas!" Yep, you can do it and soon create the warm vibe that kawikasurf is creating!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-06 8:25 pm   Permalink

You have the great view and a cool little terrace and you rent? I really need to move. The only view I have from my porch is of my neighbor in his backyard cutting up clothing looking for radio devices that the government planted in his t-shirts. I so wanna live in your neighborhood.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-06 9:46 pm   Permalink

Really awesome job and thanks for the how-to pics. You have me down for my 8pm dinner reservations, party of 10...right?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kawikasurf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-07 08:51 am   Permalink

Hi ErkNoLikeFire,

'Coupla things that might mitigate your purported view envy (for which, thanks, by the way). 1.) Your user name is waay cooler than mine. 2.) Dirty little secret not revealed in the Frankie and Annette beach movies, discovered to my dismay when I moved out here 26 years ago (from Michigan): The Pacific Ocean is colder than hell all year 'round.

P.S. Bonus mitgating factor: That's PCH at the bottom of the hill - favored thoroughfare of weekend restored Harley riders. What do those people have against mufflers?

kawikasurf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-07 09:02 am   Permalink

Hi VampiressRN,

Thanks so much for the nice compliment about the bar and also for elevating my little progress reports to the level of a "how-to" narrative. Actually, I was only trying to leave an evidentiary trail in the event that I managed to set myself on fire or something in the course of construction.

ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-08 11:09 pm   Permalink

I will take bikers and the Pacific cold over iced roads,salt trucks and winter related power outages any day. I think I've had my fill of no power, no heat, and no sunlight at the same time. That being said, I like the progress you've made on the stand and I wouldn't change a thing on it.

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kawikasurf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-09 09:23 am   Permalink

Thanks ERK, but don't forget to factor-in the wildfires (I've been evacuated before), the mudslides (the other side of hill where I live collapsed a few years ago, taking several homes - and yards - with it), and earthquakes (daily, to one degree of another). Yep, the grass is always greener... Oh, that's right, we don't have grass either.

ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-09 9:35 pm   Permalink

Well, I guess not having to deal with wildfires and earthquakes is a plus. That view you have is mighty tempting though...

MustangScott
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-08 10:01 pm   Permalink

I'm jealous! I have a 1966 Mustang also that I've had since 1996. The 1966 is my favorite year. I'd love to see pics of your Mustang.

View Profile of MustangScott Send a personal message to MustangScott  Goto the website of MustangScott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifred
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-09 06:39 am   Permalink

This is one of the funniest threads I've seen. Keep it up! I'm looking for tips on my tiki bar for a pool project we're doing. Thanks guys.

View Profile of tikifred Send a personal message to tikifred      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation