FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events JOHN-O 's Oct 16th TC Event (pictures, pg 3)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
JOHN-O 's Oct 16th TC Event (pictures, pg 3)
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 5:26 pm   Permalink

OK, the K-Town crawl was a success.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37180&forum=17&start=15&34

Here's my idea for future events. Please give me your feedback.

I'm here to expand your Tiki minds.

------------------------

- The Downtown LA Broadway Tour (not really a bar crawl):

1. "Tiki" morning brunch at Clifton's Cafeteria - Last remaining Clifton's. (Defunct) Clifton's Pacific Seas was an important mid-century Poly-pop landmark. Then...

2. The LA Conservancy Broadway Theater Tour - Hands down one of the best and most unique tours in LA. This is about a 1.5-mile round-trip walking tour which visits historic LA Movie Palaces built between 1910 and 1931. Some of these theaters have been restored to their former glory, some have been converted into churches (servicing the local Latino population), and some have been turned into wholesale electronics stores (with Art Deco remnants still remaining). This tour is an urban archeologist's dream !! I can try to arrange a private TC tour. Next...

3. Afternoon cocktails at Hank's Bar, one of my favorite DTLA mid-century dive bars. And yes we can continue on to Trader Vic's.

------------------------

- The Westside Nautical/Beachcomber Crawl. This late afternoon crawl would include the following:

1. Chez Jay
2. The Galley
3. The Warehouse (however not in crawling distance, will need cars)

------------------------

- The Downtown LA "New Cocktailian" Crawl.

Not mid-century focused but would focus on upscale mixology places like the Varnish, the Association, etc. Downtown is blowing up, but this crawl won't be cheap !! To keep it "real", we can pay a side visit to the notorious King Eddy Saloon on the border of Skid Row.

------------------------

- Koreatown Crawl Part II

More weird Korean food plus this time we make it to Frank N Hanks.

------------------------

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-16 23:21 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 6:32 pm   Permalink

John-O - I'm liking the Broadway theater idea, if you can book something around Halloween...many if not all of those places are well, haunted. Not tiki but would put an interesting spin on the evening. Just sayin! G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 8:05 pm   Permalink

This is a real intriguing project you got going on John-O
An all Madmen location spot crawl would be cool, 60s clothing and suits mandatory.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 8:52 pm   Permalink

ATP, this last weekend's bar crawl hit up the Prince and HMS Bounty, both locations for "Mad Men" episodes.

Where were you ??

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 10:15 pm   Permalink

John-O, the Broadway tour sounds excellent. Count me in! Crazy Al and I were talking at Don's tonight about some other ideas as well. He threw out Little Saigon and I wondered if something could be put together in Chinatown. Thoughts?

Put that Broadway tour together while the weather is good. I'm ready to eat at Clifton's.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 10:20 pm   Permalink

BTW, I like the Westside Nautical stops too. Let's get that going too!

Poly-Pop *

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 10:37 pm   Permalink

John-O,

The Westside Nautical tour sounds great. I used to hang at the Chez Jay when my room-mate from UCSB moved to Santa Monica.

If you're heading as far south as the Warehouse, might as well continue down the coast to the Mermaid, Poop Deck, Tony's etc. Or, maybe that's another crawl.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-30 20:52, JOHN-O wrote:
ATP, this last weekend's bar crawl hit up the Prince and HMS Bounty, both locations for "Mad Men" episodes.

Where were you ??

Yea sorry, I was excavating my secret subterranean "Super Villain" lair, at this rate I will not be able to take over the world til 2050!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 10:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-30 22:37, Dustycajun wrote:

If you're heading as far south as the Warehouse, might as well continue down the coast to the Mermaid, Poop Deck, Tony's etc. Or, maybe that's another crawl.

DC

Actually DC, now that I think about it, those South Bay bars would be excellent for a TC beach path bike ride/bar crawl !!

Do most Tikiphiles own bicycles?

I guess they can be rented at the beach as well. I really like that idea.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 10:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-30 22:49, JOHN-O wrote:
Do most Tikiphiles own bicycles?

Like these?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-31 05:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-30 22:15, PolynesianPop wrote:
John-O, the Broadway tour sounds excellent. Count me in! Crazy Al and I were talking at Don's tonight about some other ideas as well. He threw out Little Saigon and I wondered if something could be put together in Chinatown. Thoughts?

Put that Broadway tour together while the weather is good. I'm ready to eat at Clifton's.

I put my vote in for Little Saigon! I bet Tiki Bong would be up for that (ark ark!) Of course, the bars are the kinds of places where you get shot and stabbed, but for a real foodie....wow! Has anyone tried the crayfish places yet?

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-31 07:23 am   Permalink

The downtown Broadway tour sounds like fun. Acutally they all sound fun, good idea for a series here. Trader Vics would be cool, maybe visit the lounge at the Figueroa Hotel right across the street from Trader Vics as a warm up. It isn't Tiki, but it is historic and Moroccan themed. I haven't been there yet, but I'll check it out as soon as the Kings season starts up again. http://www.figueroahotel.com/pages/about.html

View Profile of TNT Send a personal message to TNT  Email TNT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-31 08:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-31 07:23, TNT wrote:
The downtown Broadway tour sounds like fun. Acutally they all sound fun, good idea for a series here. Trader Vics would be cool, maybe visit the lounge at the Figueroa Hotel right across the street from Trader Vics as a warm up. It isn't Tiki, but it is historic and Moroccan themed. I haven't been there yet, but I'll check it out as soon as the Kings season starts up again. http://www.figueroahotel.com/pages/about.html

I've been there a couple times -- and I agree. This stop definitely needs to be worked in the Broadway tour. The whole hotel has a very cool vibe. Especially the pool bar!

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop 2010-08-31 08:34 ]

kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-31 08:49 am   Permalink

Cool ideas.
Somewhat Off topic compliment:
I much prefer New John-O vs. Old John-O. Doing is better.
Leaving it vague so compliment doesn't turn into insult.
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-31 10:34 am   Permalink

Fabulous ideas John-O. I'll have to fly down for one or all of the crawls. I agree, downtown LA has been exploding with bars the last few years. It's exciting!

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation