FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mai Kai drum mug....what are the odds?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Mai Kai drum mug....what are the odds?
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-04 1:21 pm   Permalink

All of the stars must have aligned and the gods must have been smiling down yesterday as I found this rare mug. I am in between jobs and doing some small home improvement projects when my dad called to see if I would ride to the grocery store with him. I headed out to his house and we went to the store. On the way back he said he needed some canned beans so we stopped at another grocery store next to a thrift store. Dad went to the grocery and I went to the thrift store telling him I was going to look for some treasure. I did my usual search pattern and didn't find anything so I looked through the books and headed for the door. I almost forgot my own rule of taking one more look around before leaving. BINGO!! I saw the mug, closed my eyes and opened them again and picked up the mug. As I turned it over to look at the bottom goosebumps shot up both arms and my heart rate went through the roof. I knew exactly what I had found but still can't believe my luck. Price, $ 3.99. Nothing can raise your spirits or make your day like a good find and this is one of my best. Thanks for listening to me ramble on. It was a good day and a special find.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2010-09-04 14:14 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-04 1:24 pm   Permalink

SCORE!!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-04 1:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks Amy. The story goes that around thirty of these rare mugs were made for a promotion held by the Mai Kai. The grand prize was a trip to Tahiti. Anyone know about what year this was held?

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-04 1:48 pm   Permalink

BEEEAAAUUUTTTTIFUL!!! I think you owe your dad a mai tai in dat mug!!
Congrats! ~ i love these stories... I still waiting to post one of my own..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-09-04 1:54 pm   Permalink

Excellent!!

I could listen to you ramble on about this all day.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-04 2:19 pm   Permalink

SWEET GINGER BROWN !

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-04 2:53 pm   Permalink

What a great find - congratulations!

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-04 3:11 pm   Permalink

Good for you Trav!!!!!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-04 3:17 pm   Permalink

WOW!

Lucky day for you, indeed!!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-04 3:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys. I didn't even let the lady behind the counter wrap it up. I just carefully carried it out to dad's truck with two hands. Goosebumps for fifteen minutes straight.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-04 9:02 pm   Permalink

What an awesome story Congrats!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-05 2:07 pm   Permalink

Wow-o-wow-o-wow-o-wow! Nice find.

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-05 2:50 pm   Permalink

Sweet find Trav, I am jealous of that one for sure! Thanks for sharing.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-05 9:37 pm   Permalink

Only in Kalamazoo! So did your dad think his son had finally flipped? This event should inspire a song called "I found a mug ...in Kalamazoo!"

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-06 06:07 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone.

Sven, dad has seen allot in his day, a true navy man who has been around the world and spent fifteen years working in every state in the country. He knows I flipped out years ago. I told my dad that I owed him for the good luck but maybe I should thank Elvis also. I actually found the mug in of all places in the tiny town of Paw Paw. Really! As we waited to turn into the store dad waved to a guy who is always on the little main drag of the town waving to passing traffic. He always has a costume or theme for the day. The gentleman is in a wheelchair and enjoys waving to the folks. Fridays theme was Elvis from Blue Hawaii complete with aloha shirt, Hawaiian guitar, lei, gold glasses and pompadour wig. Maybe a true sign from above. There is allot to be said for small town America and thanks to Elvis too.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2010-09-06 06:14 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation