FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » NY Times tiki article 9/8/10 re new opening dates for new restaurants
NY Times tiki article 9/8/10 re new opening dates for new restaurants
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-08 08:16 am   Permalink

finally some dates. sep 13 for one of em!

http://nyti.ms/boattI

mr. ho
http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-08 08:40 am   Permalink

NYC has officially gone tiki mad.

I hope it can last but it may be too much too fast too expensive.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-08 10:03 am   Permalink

Damn it, now that I am out here in Cali!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 05:54 am   Permalink

As the weather starts to get colder, next week the Hurricane Club opens in NYC. Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck...

Looking like October possibly early November for Lani Kai, the next wave of Polynesia due to hit the island...and I'm not complaining about that.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-05 4:00 pm   Permalink

I had high hopes for the Hurricane Club, but the decor leaves me a bit cold. Fingers crossed on the drinks and food when I visit in a couple of weeks.

http://blog.zagat.com/sneak-peek-at-the-hurricane-club

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-05 4:41 pm   Permalink

Some more info on Hurricane's cocktails here:

http://tastingtable.com/entry_detail/nyc/2164/Fine_dining_meet_paper_umbrella.htm

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-20 03:40 am   Permalink

Great review of The Hurricane Club

Serious Eats

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-20 07:46 am   Permalink

Hurricane Club cocktails are....good. I don't think they rise to level of great or even really good, but you probably won't complain about them. Interesting presentations too - some served in hollowed out watermelons and green peppers, etc. Some may find them on the sweeter side (they were designed by the pastry chef), but I did not think they were undrinkably sweet.

The cocktails have numbers for names, and I think they change the drinks so that could make things confusing. I asked if they did a mai tai (by tradition I try to make that the first drink I ever have at any "tropical" bar) and they said yes and made me a pineapple juice drink. Not a bad drink, but not a mai tai and yes, a bit sweet.

One really nice feature - downstairs by the restrooms there is a shoeshine station and a rum fountain. They have empty nip bottles that they fill from the fountain and you can drink your rum while you get a shoe shine or take it back to your table. I was told they will change the rum being poured from the fountain too. Very fun.

The food is excellent - I thought it was fantastic really (pu pu's and more).

As for the decor - the place is huge, but decorated beautifully. There is no tiki at all - the place reminded me of a grand old supper club like the Copa or the Cocoanut Grove where you would go out to see a big band play back in the day. Very nice.

Overall I do recommend visiting HC to check it out.

EDIT - here's a couple of reviews posted today...the NYP
HATES Hurricane Club, and Metromix accurately says "it's not tiki" and gives it a "meh".

I guess everyone's milage will vary.

[ This Message was edited by: leisure master 2010-10-20 09:43 ]

exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-19 09:58 am   Permalink

the hurricane club in nyc has a special going on right now to purchase a special package by aug 3rd and use by sept 15th
Dinner for 4 anytime at The Hurricane Club, or a 2hr Bora Bora cocktail bash for up to 20 people.
http://rewards.thrillist.com/deal/2056/hurricane-club

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation