FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The Worst Rum List.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The Worst Rum List.
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 6:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-16 10:08, arriano wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-09-15 20:37, JOHN-O wrote:

Also you might look down on Bacardi, but it's probably what they're using in your Tiki-Ti Ray's Mistake and Trader Vic's classic Mai Tai. (Isn't the TV-branded rum essentially Bacardi ??)

I thought TV's rum was Cruzan, but I could be wrong.

TV's doesn't use Bacardi in their Mai Tai.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 7:05 pm   Permalink

I stand corrected, Martiki said in a older post that Cruzan makes the TV rums...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33767&forum=10&vpost=481623

Although not aged as long as regular Cruzan.

And although Bacardi and TV Rum ain't aged El Dorado or Barbancourt, I wouldn't consider them candidates as the "worst rum".

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-16 19:09 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 7:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-16 19:05, JOHN-O wrote:
I stand corrected, Martiki said in a older post that Cruzan makes the TV rums...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33767&forum=10&vpost=481623

Although not aged as long as regular Cruzan.

And although Bacardi and TV Rum ain't aged El Dorado or Barbancourt, I wouldn't consider them candidates as the "worst rum".

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-16 19:09 ]

I'm no fan of Bacardi, but it's definitely not in 'the worst' category. I haven't had Brugal Anejo, but their White Label is one of my favourite white rums. Ed Hamilton writes very highly of it as well.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 8:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-16 10:08, arriano wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-09-15 20:37, JOHN-O wrote:

Also you might look down on Bacardi, but it's probably what they're using in your Tiki-Ti Ray's Mistake and Trader Vic's classic Mai Tai. (Isn't the TV-branded rum essentially Bacardi ??)

I thought TV's rum was Cruzan, but I could be wrong.

At Trader Vic's Los Angeles last time I was in about 2 months ago I ordered a Trader Vic's Grog it was not great and it should have been. When I ordered a second round I asked what my choices were for a dark rum from anywhere please and the answer was, Trader Vic's Dark Rum or Myers take your pick. So, don't think just because it's a "wow" place it's going to have the best cocktail in town necessarily. It's cost efficient for Vic's to use their brand Cruzan or not, not good.

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-09-16 20:13 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 8:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-14 18:45, twitch wrote:
Brugal Anejo Domenican. Makes me afraid of any rum from... Domenico. Domenica? You know, that Republic.

Vizcaya VXOP Cask 21 Premium Dominican Rum. One of my favorites, you won't be scared anymore. I like a shot of it just before bed time.

Tonga Hut Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood, Ca.91606

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-09-16 20:44 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 9:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-13 13:13, arriano wrote:
OK, I think I may have figured out what is wrong with your rum. It's tequila!

http://www.pocotequila.com/bltour/porfidio4.html

Nope it's RUM! Here is my photo of it up close. What arriano confused was a Tequila Porfidio makes it has a similar bottle with a cactus in it. This is definitely rum. It smells like wine vinegar but definitely tastes like weak, sweet on the palate rum, not dry rum. Not Cachaça but Rum. This rum is corked so I don't doubt ya sprung a leak. Taste it, give it a whirl but plan on using the pretty bottle of it right away, it's not going to keep. It's not the worst I ever tasted mine was good acually, better than it smells, nice bottle, they will sell loads of it I'm sure. That's my opinion,

Tonga Hut Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood, Ca.91606

meega
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-17 10:02 am   Permalink

As a low cost well rum I'll take Castillo over Barcardi.... not a raving endorsement for sure, but I don't think Castillo's is the worst - Mr. Boston's Rum is by far the worst WTF nasty rum I've ever tasted...........just sayin'.

[ This Message was edited by: meega 2010-09-17 10:04 ]

View Profile of meega Send a personal message to meega  Email meega     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 2:00 pm   Permalink

Although I don't HATE hate Bacardi white (or gold), I would never drink it on its own. However, even the Bacardi White "lays down" nice in a cocktail—but I would much rather use Cruzan White or Mathusalem White.

Don Q Cristal, on the other hand--that stuff is wretched and it will RUIN a drink. Some of the other Don Q offerings are not horrible, but avoid the clear stuff.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 2:20 pm   Permalink

Bay Rum tastes like sh*t!

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-17 7:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-17 14:00, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Although I don't HATE hate Bacardi white (or gold), I would never drink it on its own. However, even the Bacardi White "lays down" nice in a cocktail—but I would much rather use Cruzan White or Mathusalem White.

Don Q Cristal, on the other hand--that stuff is wretched and it will RUIN a drink. Some of the other Don Q offerings are not horrible, but avoid the clear stuff.

Not a bad rum. In fact, the favorote among the denizens of PR. Makes a stellar, clean, daiquiri. My last trip to PR was warmed by some very warm nighhts cuddled up with my friends and Don Q Cristal!

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 08:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-17 19:12, bewarethe151 wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-09-17 14:00, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:

Not a bad rum. In fact, the favorote among the denizens of PR. Makes a stellar, clean, daiquiri. My last trip to PR was warmed by some very warm nighhts cuddled up with my friends and Don Q Cristal!

Ditto, Don Q Cristal is quite a decent mixer rum, muuuch better than Bacardi Superior.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 10:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

Ditto, Don Q Cristal is quite a decent mixer rum, muuuch better than Bacardi Superior.

Weird, about half the people I talk to say the same thing, and the other half are like me, who think the stuff has no taste or character other than smelling like ethanol or cheap vodka

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 4:01 pm   Permalink

Oh, you guys really don't know your shitty rums!

One of the worst all-time rums I've ever tried is Mekhong, from Thailand:

But Bundaberg from Australia is pretty gawdawful too!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 5:16 pm   Permalink

Stroh, 160 proof rum from Austria.

Worst. Rum. Ever.

CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 9:26 pm   Permalink

As much as I love the bottle and the marketing... I still have over 3/4 of a bottle of Kraken left... and I bought it well over a year ago.
I think that about says it all.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation