FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Worst Rum List.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The Worst Rum List.
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 6:24 pm   Permalink

Tanduay.
Not good.

I personally like Brugal.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 7:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-16 18:24, pablus wrote:
Tanduay.
Not good.

Last - and only - time I tried Tanduay (brought from the Philippines, in the early 80's!), I thought it tasted a little like tequila, not so much like rum.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 7:42 pm   Permalink

I like Tanduay 12 y.o. and 15 y.o. very much, in fact have a few bottles being flown over right now.

I think the Wray and Nephew overproof is pretty skanky stuff. tastes like karo syrup.

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2011-05-16 19:46 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-17 07:19 am   Permalink

I make good Mai Tais with the Tanduay gold rum, it mixes well for many drinks, though the Dark Rhum is quite stringent and there's only a handful of drinks I can use it with. Though overall you reall can't complain about a bottle of rum that costs 75 cents. (The exchange rate for USD to Pesos is ridiculous)

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-17 9:11 pm   Permalink

Well, cheap as I am, I'd agree it's hard to complain about a bottle of 80 anything that costs 75 cents.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-17 9:22 pm   Permalink

dang, two of my four bottles of Tanduay were broken in transit.

Thanks, Delta!!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BastardoSaffrin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-26 02:51 am   Permalink

I'm not being very creative, but Capt. Morgan is crap. And I was given a bottle of CM Spiced Gold and man, that was hard to swallow.

View Profile of BastardoSaffrin Send a personal message to BastardoSaffrin  Goto the website of BastardoSaffrin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 05:23 am   Permalink

I find it interesting that so many of the rums listed in this topic actually won pretty high-marks at Rum Renaissance....

http://www.rumrenaissance.com/Competition2011.html

Having said that, I would like to offer my candidate for Worst Rum (on my bar):

Old Monk.

Its not that it is bad or undrinkable or anything, it just doesn't play well with anything other than ice. And, to me at least, it is not a sipping rum.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 10:07 am   Permalink

Old Monk is actually a key ingredient in the Wai Tai, one of the signature Waitiki cocktails.

My vote for worst is a tie between Mekhong, from Thailand, just dreadful, although one of the components of the Blind Squirrel, a rare cocktail made up of horrible ingredients that all together aren't all that bad, and Bundaberg, from Australia, for which I have found no redeeming value whatsoever.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 10:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-26 10:07, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Bundaberg, from Australia, for which I have found no redeeming value whatsoever.

Sadly, I have to agree with this one.
After bringing back a bottle a number of years ago, we have tried & tried to find a good way to mix it, but to no avail.
And, like Old Monk, it's certainly not a sipper.

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 12:20 pm   Permalink

I use Captain Morgan's for one thing only-- the Christmas eggnog, for which it is perfect...

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-27 7:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-13 12:37, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I'll start.

Porfidio Plata! If they had described it as Mexico's answer to moonshine, It was on sale for $20 Label say "Pure Cane Rum" and "single-cane, triple distilled"
Buy the grocery store brand before this crap.

In the Carribean this year I was asking around at a shop and they pointed that stuff out as one of the best Rums they had. Where most rums were $15 dollars, this stuff was $100 as I can remember.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-27 10:25 pm   Permalink

I disagree about Pyrat XO. A great mixing rum at a good price. I use it in my Dead Bastards.

Captain Morgan and Malibu rums (and all they represent) are HORID! Don't even accidently pour a shot of the lime flavored Captain Morgans rum. Bleech.

Most underated family of rums - Mount Gay

I find Pussers rums underwhelming, even when used in a Navy Grog.

Quote:

On 2010-09-14 21:02, Shaun of theTiki wrote:
A few overrated rums:

-Pyrat XO and Pyrat Pistol (both taste like Big Red gum)
- 23 year Ron Zacapa - (I swear it's 90 percent corn syrup)
-St. George Agua Libre Fresh-Squeezed Rum (I liked it at first until I realized that it's swill compared to the great agricoles from Martinique)
-Hudson River Rum (made by an otherwise great whiskey distillery that should keep their rum away from their whiskey barrels)
-Malibu Pineapple (a mere shot gave me a nasty headache)

[ This Message was edited by: Shaun of theTiki 2010-09-14 21:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Shaun of theTiki 2010-09-14 21:03 ]

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-03 1:25 pm   Permalink

I agree with Vince--
Mount Gay makes some very nice rums.

Worst rums ev-ar:
Definitely Porfidio. The bottle's beautiful hand-blown glass (maybe good for a lamp?) but the rum is just... eccch. It kind of reminds me of that Orwell quote about a boot stomping on a human face... forever. Porfidio is that rum.

I was underwhelmed by the Tommy Bahama rums more than finding them disgusting. Pretty packaging and probably good for a mojito, but in a glass neat? Not so much.

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
edurban
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-06 7:52 pm   Permalink

One Barrel, from Belize is the most disgusting rum I've ever tasted. It tastes like maple syrup and cannot be disguised by any combination of juices & mixers. Its manufacturer used to hold a monopoly on rum production and sales in Belize, so 2 years ago, at least, you couldn't get anything else. There's also a Two Barrel and Five Barrel version but they're all rotten.

The only upside is that they don't export the stuff. Grisly.

David

[ This Message was edited by: edurban 2011-06-06 20:08 ]

View Profile of edurban Send a personal message to edurban  Email edurban     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation