FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The Worst Rum List.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The Worst Rum List.
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-09 02:42 am   Permalink

Stroh 80 is NOT good if you're looking at it as rum. It's made in Austria, and the 80 is the top-proof version at 160. It smells like a Butter Rum Life Saver. It tastes like fire. But I use it in Spanish Coffee and it works very well. I use the Stroh like most use 151, to caramelize the sugar rim on the glass, toast some cinnamon (shake right into the flame), and top with liqueurs, coffee and whipped cream. NOT a tiki drink, but good stuff.

I've tried some sort of Captain Morgan "reserve" rum, and it was fairly tasty. Not great, but not bad.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-10-14 07:33 am   Permalink

I did not try PortaShots Fletcher's Gold, Silver or Spiced Rum in a pouch so they could be very tasty. Even if it tastes bad, it's marketing genius.
Although I'm not sure if I trust a company that misspells Silver on their website.
www.portashots.com/our-products/fletchers-silver/
The Sliver Rum has led to many lip smacking remarks, from “Delicious”, “WOW” and “I Love It” to “OH MY !!!!”

Each bag contains 25 30ml packets of rum. They also have whiskey and vodka in a packet. These are made in South Africa. Tequila, gin and Scotch will be coming soon.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-14 08:55 am   Permalink

I love the quoted reviews ~ “Delicious”, “WOW” and “I Love It” to “OH MY !!!!”
These might be just the thing for sneaking on the airplane if you are desperate enough to risk a complimentary full cavity search by the TSA

(Speaking of which, some cheap lush friends of mine just went on a cruise where they smuggled vodka on board in shampoo bottles)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-14 7:14 pm   Permalink

TSA shouldn't care if you bring alcohol through a checkpoint as long as it meets the requirements of the 3-1-1 rule and is less than 140 proof.

Airlines often have a ban on consuming your own booze on the plane, but it isn't TSA's job to enforce that.

-Rev

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-16 3:05 pm   Permalink

We had a party a few years ago and at the end they broke out warm Coke and Kraken. With no ice on hand. The thought of the Kraken chills me to the bone to this day... I had a shot of it a few months back, cause I can't say no to rum now that I have a tiki bar in my garage. Still way too sweet for me. I actually like Whalers as a dark rum. It doesn't mask the other flavors in a cocktail and isn't as sweet as most dark rums.

Stuff I refuse to carry at my home bar:
Captain Morgan or any similar - Admaral Nelson, Sailor Jerry
Any flavored Bacardi or really any flavored rums

I do hate Malibu (I don't like coconut flavor at all), but sometimes a drink needs a half shot at most of the coconut rum.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-17 06:56 am   Permalink

Cruzan makes a good coconut rum, which I like to use in a LeiLani Volcano

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-17 08:25 am   Permalink

Don't be seduced by the label, this rum tastes like English Leather cologne.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-17 4:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-17 08:25, naugatiki wrote:

Ummmmmm.....it actually says after shave on the label.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queequeg

Posted: 2012-10-17 6:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-17 16:39, swizzle wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-10-17 08:25, naugatiki wrote:

Ummmmmm.....it actually says after shave on the label.

HaHaHaHaHa!!!!
I actually use Royal Bay Rhum as an aftershave and would never think of drinking it!

View Profile of Queequeg Send a personal message to Queequeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-17 7:00 pm   Permalink

I work in a hospital and we get people in the ER who have drunk worse. The latest one a couple of weeks ago was isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol because it was cheap.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-18 11:27 am   Permalink

Now that is some bad rum!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-25 4:12 pm   Permalink

I recently got back into experimenting with mixology and re-read this whole thread. I don't think Whalers is THAT bad of a dark rum. Bong has made me a million mai-tais with that stuff and it seems pretty good to me as a mixing rum.

In the rum barrel that I made last night, I used Lemonhart, Appleton Estate V/X, and Bacardi 151 for the light puerto rican rum. Beachbum Berry says that that is a suitable rum for a light puerto rican rum. It was pretty sharp. What are alternatives to that? Or is that what you guys use?

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-25 4:43 pm   Permalink

Are you using 80 proof Lemon Hart? The think beachbum's thought is LH80 + bicardi 151 = bicardi 80 + LH151. For what it is worth I used Cruzan as my white Puerto Rican.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-25 4:54 pm   Permalink

No, I had two 151s in there... I felt like that was wrong.
SUPER strong though. Haha...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-25 7:07 pm   Permalink

Spike, Cruzan or El Dorado white & not the 151 stength
save that for the Lemon Hart 151 float.

Whalers is cheap rum but passable for mixing large batches of cocktails
not that bad of a taste, I am anti-Bacardi though
I refuse to use it in anything, I just don't like the after taste!

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-10-25 19:11 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation