FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The Worst Rum List.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The Worst Rum List.
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-25 10:02 pm   Permalink

Yeah, the only reason that I even got Bacardi was because it was the suggested rum on the Tiki+ app.... I wouldn't normally trust the stuff either. I'll retry with the adjustments. I already have everything that I need with the swap-out! Thanks, dudes.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-10-26 8:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-25 16:12, Luckydesigns wrote:
I recently got back into experimenting with mixology and re-read this whole thread. I don't think Whalers is THAT bad of a dark rum. Bong has made me a million mai-tais with that stuff and it seems pretty good to me as a mixing rum.

In the rum barrel that I made last night, I used Lemonhart, Appleton Estate V/X, and Bacardi 151 for the light puerto rican rum. Beachbum Berry says that that is a suitable rum for a light puerto rican rum. It was pretty sharp. What are alternatives to that? Or is that what you guys use?

I always substitute Cruza) when a recipe calls for Puerto Rican rum (either amber or white, depending on the recipe). Flor de Caña and Don Q make decent Puerto Rican substitutes as well.

For dark Jamaican, I'm partial to Coruba rather than Whalers. If I want to hit the gas, Smith & Cross is a great Jamaican rum. Not dark like Coruba, but high octane and highly mixable. It's a little pricey compared to the Coruba however.

For what it's worth, when I make the Rum Barrel from Tiki+, I use Cruzan light (white), El Dorado 12, and either Appleton V/X or Smith & Cross for the Jamaican rum. That drink is fairly strong without the 151, though if I were going to use it, I'd float .5 ounces of Lemon Hart on the top of my barrel.

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2012-10-26 8:20 pm   Permalink

And I'll echo ATP's Bacardi sentiment, with one exception. Bacardi 8 is surprisingly good, both neat and as a mixer. It's the only Bacardi allowed in my liquor cabinet.

I have some Bacardi 151 around because I used to think it was good for adding literal fire to a cocktail via a squeezed lime shell. Then I found the much livelier combination of a good size crouton and lemon extract. At that point Bacardi 151 was rendered completely obsolete.

kevin

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-27 04:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

I have some Bacardi 151 around because I used to think it was good for adding literal fire to a cocktail via a squeezed lime shell. Then I found the much livelier combination of a good size crouton and lemon extract. At that point Bacardi 151 was rendered completely obsolete.

Kevin, great tip, never heard that before! Makes me wonder, if I don't have a crouton on hand, how a sugar cube might work... You're sending me to the grocery store to seek out lemon extract, and then straight to the lab to experiment! heh...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2012-10-27 09:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-27 04:31, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

Kevin, great tip, never heard that before! Makes me wonder, if I don't have a crouton on hand, how a sugar cube might work... You're sending me to the grocery store to seek out lemon extract, and then straight to the lab to experiment! heh...

Credit where credit is due...I learned the lemon extract bit from other threads in this same food/drink forum. But I saw the value right away when I saw the impressive flame and the price per ounce on extract. I haven't tried a sugar cube, but it should work just fine.

Kevin

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-28 02:18 am   Permalink

The crouton might be the cheap way to do it but unfortunately the downfall is you end up with the smell of burnt bread in the air when it's gone out.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-29 09:34 am   Permalink

Thanks for the Rum Barrel tips.

Lemon Extract is super expensive, isn't it? I remember buying that stuff, years ago, for the cruton fire thing. Maybe my Bacardi 151 will be relegated to being lit on fire.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-29 09:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-29 09:34, Luckydesigns wrote:
Lemon Extract is super expensive, isn't it?

I Googled lemon extract before I wrote my reply and saw it listed between $2 (2 oz, Wilton brand) and $30 (32 oz, McCormick brand) plus shipping. So I thought I *might* be able to find it locally at a grocery store, specialty store, or Penzey's. My guess is that *real* lemon extract is an oil-type liquid, so I would have to be careful to avoid flavorings and other fake stuff. I'm hoping that it may be a relatively common baking ingredient.

Good point about croutons and the potential for burnt bread smell. That seems to be another good reason for using a sugar cube or spent lime shell. Now I have three things to test - crouton, sugar cube, lime shell - and with identical amounts of burnable liquid see how long and how well each burns. 151 dies down pretty quickly. It would be neat if lemon extract had a brighter flame and lasted longer and then also smelled good. (Yup, I want it all...!!!)

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-29 10:03 am   Permalink

As of 10/29/2012, Penzey's web site shows the following quantities and prices for lemon extract:

Lemon Extract 16 fl. oz. Bottle 93211 30.99
Lemon Extract 2 fl. oz. Bottle 93237 5.49
Lemon Extract 4 fl. oz. Bottle 93253 9.49
Lemon Extract 8 fl. oz. Bottle 93282 16.99

I'm fairly certain I would find this in one of my better-stocked supers, or Whole Foods, or Fresh Market, or Trader Joe's, etc. Fortunately there's a Penzey's down the street from me, but I'm going to look in my local supers first.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-30 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quite a few places use sugar cubes in their fire drinks. Trader Sam's uses 3 in their Uh Oa! bowl and they light them on fire and chant as you throw cinnamon on the flame to make it spark. Then (before it burns I am sure) they stir it all into your bowl and it is ready for you to drink. Okolemaluna used to use a squeezed lime as a wick for their Volcano Bowl.

Bacardi is a rum I rarely use, but I do have it on hand usually for those emergencies when you run out of a bunch of the good stuff. I only use Bacardi 151 to light on fire.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-30 5:57 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately, Trader Vic's rums are terrible. What makes it worse is that it drags a legendary name down. If I happen to be at a TV's, I request that they use other rums to make my drink. The rums taste like a family of rats continuously t-bagged themselves in the rum barrel after dipping their little rat scrotums in formaldehyde.

[ This Message was edited by: Tonga Tiki 2012-10-30 18:03 ]

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2012-11-02 8:01 pm   Permalink

It feels like we've gotten away from the topic by discussing lighting things on fire and such, but 1 more thought on lemon extract: I picked up a 16 ounce bottle of "First Street" (house) brand at Smart and Final for between 5-10 dollars. 2 years later, I'm not even halfway through it. No need to pay a premium for a name brand here; it's fuel.

Okole maluna!

Kevin

heylownine

Posted: 2012-11-02 9:03 pm   Permalink

Exhibit "A": using lemon extract.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled "worst rum" thread.

kevin

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-02 9:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-30 17:57, Tonga Tiki wrote:
The rums taste like a family of rats continuously t-bagged themselves in the rum barrel after dipping their little rat scrotums in formaldehyde.

That's a graphic image!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-04 01:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-30 17:57, Tonga Tiki wrote:
The rums taste like a family of rats continuously t-bagged themselves in the rum barrel after dipping their little rat scrotums in formaldehyde.

Whoooa!!
don't hold back, tell us what you really think.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation