FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 11:30 pm   Permalink

I am happy to celebrate the tenth year of the publication of the BOOK OF TIKI with old and new friends at the M-Modern Gallery in Palm Springs on Saturday October 2nd:

If any participating artists want to preview their submissions here I would be thrilled, since I won't get to see them until I get back from Berlin in a couple of weeks.

In fact, I want to encourage any and all testimonials pertaining to the impact of first contact with the book to be posted in this thread, please.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 11:56 pm   Permalink

I'm planning on being there.

will there be a repressing of the Book of Tiki for the Thousands of people that still want it?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 08:04 am   Permalink

I know we are not supposed to talk about religion here on T.C. But After reading the Book of Tiki, I finally see the Light, Hallelujah! I now Regularly attend services with friends at there homes,and Temples and now have a weekly "Prayer" circle at my home.. I Love to Spread The Good word..Just the other night, I met a man and asked him "Have you read the Book" He said " No, So I ministered to him for 30 minutes while drinking some "Holy" water. I told Him all the great changes he could expect, if he would only except its message of hope.It change my Life it could now change yours... If you are reading this and have not excepted the message I encourage you to do so now!! Let us Pray...

[ This Message was edited by: kirby 2010-09-14 08:12 ]

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 08:44 am   Permalink

my first two large palm tikis were carved in 1996. My client picked out a photo copy in my scrapbook of the Tit Biting Tiki postcard... later i would find out this was a Marquasian style tiki that inspired my Tiki#2... This photocopy was from a selection of photos/images that Sven had been collecting for a 'book-project' he had been working on for a while by then...I think he traded me those photos in late 1995... the rest is history.........

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 09:01 am   Permalink

Who's this Sven guy?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 5:49 pm   Permalink

first piece

"Waikikianese"
14" x 11"
acrylic on masonite panel
$200.00

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-09-14 17:53 ]

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 6:09 pm   Permalink

Are the participating artists mentioned going to be there in person?

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 01:12 am   Permalink

Only the artists themselves can really answer this. From what I hear in faraway Berlin, some are, some aren't. I hope to see as many as possible at "The Springs" ! Aloha, Amigos!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 01:14 am   Permalink

That's a wonderful piece, Dawn! A red dot work, for sure. Dreamy.

Jetson
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 05:11 am   Permalink

OK well I first read the Book of Tiki back somewhere in 02-03. So I was about 15, and it changed my life forever. The part that got me the most were the beautiful cocktails and drink menus and the drinks themselves. Then I thought "where are these amazing restaurants today?" Sad to say that upon researching, and reading more from the book that a lot of them had been closed. I thought to myself "wow, there must not be as big a tiki community as i thought..." Little did I know how wrong I was.

So at the age of 15, I decided that I wanted to be a bartender and gather all the recipes for the cocktails and learn how to make them. I took a magnifying glass to some of the finer print, and wrote down all the names I could find in a notebook that I still have to this day. I tried Google of course and came across quite a few of the drinks, but I guess some of them are just lost forever. But I am now 23, not a bartender, but lately I have been making all sorts of original concoctions. I was actually told by several people at Tiki Oasis that my drink "The Elroy" was one of the best they'd had all weekend So I guess some thing do come full circle.

[ This Message was edited by: Jetson 2010-09-15 05:12 ]

View Profile of Jetson Send a personal message to Jetson  Email Jetson Goto the website of Jetson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 11:12 am   Permalink

The Book of Tiki is pretty much the best document to date showing the lifespan of the Tiki subculture.

I cannot wait to go and pay ultimate tribute to my favorite book in my display case.

I'll have a drink tonight at the Tiki Ti in your honor Sven!

ALSO:

Will you ever have anymore copies of your Tiki Documentary that Naomi sold at 8 Ball? I would love to buy a copy if possible!

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-15 6:40 pm   Permalink

I'm honored to be included in this great event with these great artists! My wife, Alene and I will be there!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RasVegas

Posted: 2010-09-16 04:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-14 08:04, kirby wrote:
I know we are not supposed to talk about religion here on T.C. But After reading the Book of Tiki, I finally see the Light, Hallelujah! I now Regularly attend services with friends at there homes,and Temples and now have a weekly "Prayer" circle at my home.. I Love to Spread The Good word..Just the other night, I met a man and asked him "Have you read the Book" He said " No, So I ministered to him for 30 minutes while drinking some "Holy" water. I told Him all the great changes he could expect, if he would only except its message of hope.It change my Life it could now change yours... If you are reading this and have not excepted the message I encourage you to do so now!! Let us Pray...

[ This Message was edited by: kirby 2010-09-14 08:12 ]

Well done my "brother in Sven"! In this case, your discussion of religion here on TC...all is forgiven. I have set up an alter in my closet with fruit, incense, frankence and myrrh which surround Sven's book. I have also shaved my head except for a pony tail in the back of my head. I now where a tiki imprinted smoking jacket at all times like Huge Heffner. Thinking about starting up a commune in Oregon called Sveneesh where I will buy 50 Rolls Royce cars and be surrounded by lots of girls or a harem. We will all wear said smoking jacket. Anybody interested?
Your post was absolutely genius and I am not trying overshadow such genius! Beautiful!! Just thought I'd have a little fun myself! Very, very well done my brother. I'm still laughing!!

Amen!

View Profile of RasVegas Send a personal message to RasVegas  Goto the website of RasVegas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 05:48 am   Permalink

Just want to say what a fantastic book, 'Book of Tiki' is, we still love it and look at it loads for reference, can't believe we have owned it 10 years! Blimey time flys!!
Just waiting for the next one!!
Shame we can't be there for the party, but will be thinking of you all having a great time!
Sue and Dave.

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 06:53 am   Permalink

Sven, you are dear to us and your book a treasure, Wendy and Dan

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation