FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 09:01 am   Permalink

I took off of work for this art show baby.

An art show is fun,

A Tiki art show is even better,

A Tiki art show with Sven is the Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dig?

Glad to have you in Palm Springs again Sven, you always class up the place a bit.

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Wildsville man 2010-09-16 09:03 ]

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 09:23 am   Permalink

Rory that entry way cover looks so cool,
where is that?

I am really getting excited for this art show.
The Book of Tiki was a mind blower for me in 2000.
I had been into tiki since going to Hawaii in 96 and 97,
and of course some surf bands use tiki imagery.

But getting this book at Aloha Joes in Cerritos,
just set me into overdrive in wanting to collect more tiki and Hawaiian stuff.
and this was a few years before I Knew about tiki central.

I am looking forward to this show,
to see how the book of tiki has inspired some artists.

where's the Pre and Post party?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 09:31 am   Permalink

second piece

"Tahiti Ta-Maori"
11" x 14"
acrlyic on masonite panel
$200

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
andrewdanish

Posted: 2010-09-16 09:42 am   Permalink

congrats sven on a decade of decadence!
hawaii next?

View Profile of andrewdanish Send a personal message to andrewdanish  Email andrewdanish Goto the website of andrewdanish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 09:55 am   Permalink

I remember when the BOT came out I was in NY for a trade show. I made a special trip to B&N in Manhattan to get a copy on the day it was released. I ended up with several copies because other people picked it up for me as well. I keep a copy in my studio, one in my library, and one for coffee table browsing. Each copy is scattered with small pieces of watercolor paper used to mark pages with images I'm currently considering. When I found one of the giant Witco masks that used to be on the front of THE POLYNESIAN I used the BOT to show the owner what they had stuck to the side of their house. and finally.... who doesn't love a book with a puffy cover!

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 10:08 am   Permalink

Darn, I have to be out of town that weekend.

But congratulations on your 10th Anniversary. BOT was truly a watershed moment for Tiki history, culture, and lore.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
biguglystick

Posted: 2010-09-16 11:51 am   Permalink

Sven, you are wonderful and I LOVE your book! It's inspired me on many a painting! My art is not in your show, but I hope to someday be included in a show at M Modern! Cheers! ~Sheryl www.Schroederville.com

View Profile of biguglystick Send a personal message to biguglystick  Email biguglystick Goto the website of biguglystick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 2:34 pm   Permalink

The BOT was one of the biggest influences in my life. I will always be grateful that I own it and that you took the time to make it. Thank you Sven. Polypop needs to scan every page of his BOT and let the people see what a treasure the book really can become.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tulsatv
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-16 2:59 pm   Permalink

Here's to the great Book of Tiki!

View Profile of tulsatv Send a personal message to tulsatv  Email tulsatv Goto the website of tulsatv     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EyeballJohn
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 4:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks Sven, you and your book of Tiki have been a Great inspiration on me and my Tiki work, Keep the Tiki Faith Alive Big Bro

View Profile of EyeballJohn Send a personal message to EyeballJohn  Email EyeballJohn Goto the website of EyeballJohn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
davidleslie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-16 5:08 pm   Permalink

This book started my interest in Tiki like you wouldn't believe...It is still a source of inspiration for me. When does the next one come out? LOL!!! I already have Tiki Modern!

Here is one of my first Glass Tiki made in my volcano kiln.....

Thanks Sven!!!

Dave Bird
www.davidebird.com

View Profile of davidleslie Send a personal message to davidleslie  Email davidleslie Goto the website of davidleslie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 5:58 pm   Permalink

It’s interesting how the Tiki News covered many similar topics as the BOT but seeing them reproduced in full color really brought out the era and dare I say legitimized it. It would be nice to add an extra chapter called “post devolution” covering the next 10 years. I like the way I could go into a tiki bar a decade ago and see all the fogies and today I’ve become one of them.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 8:28 pm   Permalink

Congratulations Sven on the first 10 years. I will read it cover to cover, again and again as long as I shall live, Mai Tai.
I will see you there.

Quote:

On 2010-09-14 08:04, kirby wrote:
I know we are not supposed to talk about religion here on T.C. But After reading the Book of Tiki, I finally see the Light, Hallelujah! I now Regularly attend services with friends at there homes,and Temples and now have a weekly "Prayer" circle at my home.. I Love to Spread The Good word..Just the other night, I met a man and asked him "Have you read the Book" He said " No, So I ministered to him for 30 minutes while drinking some "Holy" water. I told Him all the great changes he could expect, if he would only except its message of hope.It change my Life it could now change yours... If you are reading this and have not excepted the message I encourage you to do so now!! Let us Pray...

Mai Tai!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 02:59 am   Permalink

Thank You everyone! It is hard to imagine what a Tiki-less world it was before 2000, and how exciting every find and even the mention of the word was in the 90s (and no, I am not saying Tiki awareness did not exist before, but the artist's community and Tiki News formed a much smaller nucleus)

Nowadays it seems a common term, and though this was my goal, Tiki does not seem so "special" anymore. Outsiders are often surprised that I can plan yet another publication on the subject, but to me, there is still tons of stuff to discover and swoon over. As you focus in on specific facets of the phenomenon, new layers appear, and open up new vistas for new projects.

But the newness of the BOT can not be duplicated. Yet I am proud to have gotten Tiki Modern published, which, as my publisher assured me recently, would have not seen the light of day in today's economic climate. A big thanks belongs to my daring publisher Benedict Taschen for making my books such high-quality, yet affordable, world-wide distributed works. He is the Gutenberg of Tiki!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martini kings
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 07:53 am   Permalink

well ....since my wife and i are east coasters, we journey to the new jersey shore every summer for 2 weeks of doing nothing. swimming in the ocean, miniature golf, skeeball and ice cream. when we arrived my wife valerie surprised me with a gift that i might like to have at the shore.
when i opened up the book of tiki, i was speechless. i was already a fan of tiki,beachy stuff but this was amazing! i spent the 2 weeks at the beach and the next 7 years combing that book cover to cover. to say it is the bible of tiki is an understatement. it is more like the new testament!(sorry ,catholic school reference)
sven opened my eyes and let me know that there were other humans on earth that shared the same tiki interests as my self. thanks sven!
tony marsico

View Profile of martini kings Send a personal message to martini kings  Email martini kings Goto the website of martini kings     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation