FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 10:21 am   Permalink

Congratulations on a great show. Such an array of tiki art. Finally, it felt great to see real tiki in Palm Springs, active and a live!!

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 10:37 am   Permalink

whos got pics?

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 10:39 am   Permalink

I know! Some one please post pics of the party and the artwork.

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 11:30 am   Permalink

What a Night!
Thank you Sven,Naomi,and Jay for creating this wonderful exhibit!
Sven,You have inspired countless artists,musicians,designers,etc
Congratulations again and Thank you for desiring to capture a period lost to History!
I hope,seeing all those pieces on the wall,that you felt like a proud papa...

As for the exhibit...
gosh-Dang!
It looks like all the artists upped it a few notches
and they all brought their A-Game!

The night was a'bubbling with great conversations
Tons of squeezins
hearty laughter
lots of smiles
LOTs of drunken smiles....
soooooooooo many friends there I haven't seen in AGES
and become reacquainted with some good people too!

I even got to see Dirk,and the Velvet Glass duo all the way from Tuscon!
Mahalos to all you brilliant artists who participated
and to all those who attended and shared in this Historic evening!
Happy!

didn't take any pics
but sure posed for a lot of em
so i expect,once these good folks recover from their hangovers
you can see some of the shenanigans from last evening!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jetson
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 2:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-03 10:21, telescopes wrote:
Congratulations on a great show. Such an array of tiki art. Finally, it felt great to see real tiki in Palm Springs, active and a live!!

Here here! If anyone saw me, you cvould probably tell that I had one too many Palm Springs Punchs. But I do remember the whole night, and I didn't take very many pictures, but I am in the process of uploading them right now.

View Profile of Jetson Send a personal message to Jetson  Email Jetson Goto the website of Jetson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 7:31 pm   Permalink

PICTURES!!!! please

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 8:56 pm   Permalink

Patience.

Tonga Tom told me he and Sherriyaki were making the scene, so you know the event was well documented. They're probably at the Tonga Hut right now so expect pictures by Monday afternoon. I'm looking forward to them as well.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 10:30 pm   Permalink

Sven and I with the Holy Grail of Tiki Art

Great Turn out and a good amount of Sales. I know that plenty of photo's were taken so I would expect a lot of photo's hitting Monday.

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jetson
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 02:19 am   Permalink

AFter hours of trying to upload my pictures with shotty internet connection due to the weather, I have finally uploaded my pictures. Now if only i can get those videos on there...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=2098441&id=1229831507&ref=mf

[ This Message was edited by: Jetson 2010-10-04 02:20 ]

View Profile of Jetson Send a personal message to Jetson  Email Jetson Goto the website of Jetson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-04 08:21 am   Permalink

Great pix! Wish we could've been there.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-04 10:55 am   Permalink

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 2:33 pm   Permalink

What a wonderful weekend! A great thank you to all the artists, the gallery folks, and all my friends who came! I was so honored that so many of you made the trek from L.A. to "pay their respects" to the Tiki bible. It was great to see you all (all the above and many more) after my long absence in Europe, I felt like coming home to family. I am really blessed to have such a community to return to, and I truly appreciate your attendance. It was all a big love fest for me.

The morning began magically with an early shower that brought down the temperature to a nice warm day:

At noon I went to M-Modern and checked on the hanging of the show, which was expertly executed by the staff:

After a pre-party at Rory's house (from which we can see some fine pics in Woohoo's post above) it was time:

The gallery was abuzz with just enough folks to fill the place but still allow the art to be seen:

Jay Nailor , Dre and the gallery staff did a great job

Which brings me to the first painting -by the artist known as Shag :

...a wonderful work which sold in no time

....perhaps because it was almost directly taken from life!

The bible study theme was continued in this cute fuzzy piece by Heather Watts:

Another red dot piece was THE Book of Tiki cover art work by Moritz R.:

...which I was happy to see go to a good, appreciative home:

Congrats Rory! I think this would make a good back bar piece!

There were too many wonderful works to show them all in this post, here are just a few:

Derek Yaniger's (Sold!) woodsy version....

...of the Mod Beachcomber on page 75 of the BOT:

The already posted works by Bosko:

...and by Dawn Frasier:

...and paintings as diverse as Dale Sizer's Hawaiian Eye homage:

...and handmade prints by Michael Uhlencott:

...of which Naomi was happy to get her favorite:

My contribution was this wall entitled "Look for the Book - in THESE products":

.....with which I traced back some of the images from the BOT that had entered the mainstream thru the example of Aloha shirts (one which was worn by the always clever Sabu, as seen in the post above mine )

While I was mostly busy signing away on copies of Tiki Modern...

...I managed to break away a little here and there and chat briefly with some of the friends, among which my favorite not-seen-for-an-eternity person was this classy lady:

!!!! ...need I say more!

Although this evening was full of happiness, there were some tears, and for a good reason. Naomi had showed me pre-show photos of Claudette Barjoud's amazing wall hanging, a one of a kind mystery girl sculpture:

This labor of love was destined to be a show stopper at the exhibit, so you can believe how my heart dropped when I came into the gallery on Saturday noon and found this:

When Jason and Claudette came in that evening, they had not heard the bad news, and it was quite a shock. Here is the artist next to her other wonderful work in the show, bravely smiling in the face of irreversible loss:

...and here she is days earlier, the proud creator of a fine piece of art:

All here on Tiki Central will mourn this loss, I am certain, but I am hoping that by posting these images I will give this lost art work SOME form of existence, and we look forward to other, grander works to come from the house of Fluff!

Except for this sad mishap, the show was a smash success for the gallery, with many pieces finding new owners, and I again want to thank all the talented artists, and all the Tikiphiles who attended for contributing! Long live the Book of Tiki!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-10-04 15:43 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-05 12:19 pm   Permalink

No, not over quite yet! As an ENCORE thank you, I wanted to ad this appreciation to Palm Springs, THE PLACE!

I am not rich, but whenever I go there, I feel like it, because I can enjoy the place and its highlights vicariously through my friends who are all into the same things I am into. This post is not to boast, but show my gratitude to TIKI, my guardian saint, who has allowed me to delve into these worlds of SWANK to a level that is unimaginable in my home country!

This last weekend was one of those perfect Palm Springs moments:

It is always a pleasure to stay at my long time friend Pete Moruzzi's place...

...one of those perfectly mid-century manicured houses that is totally unlike my own cluttered Tiki museum

...but absolutely lovely to recreate in.

On Saturday, Pete and the Palm Springs Modcom held an award ceremony for architect Hugh Kaptur at the Riviera Hotel, and I got to see the slide show for it, here's my fave from it:

Then Rory's pre-party, then my 10 Y BOT show opening, and the intimate after-opening reception at Rod and Cindra's fabulous house...at which point I was too tired to take photos, I apologize.

Also I wanted to ad the lovely gift that Eric October made for me at the BOT show:

A map to my house, with my guardian Moai, even down to the rope at its base! Thank You, Eric!

Then on Sunday, I was invited to visit German actor's Udo Kier home. He converted a small local library into a loft living space!:

....to house his original mid-century furniture collection

Even seasoned afficionado Pete Moruzzi was impressed

Then Mr. Pete took us to a warehouse where several car collectors were storing their beauties!:

Aaaaah! Blisssss....

Can anybody guess the make of this car?:

It's a Facel Vega, a 50s luxury sportscar I had completely forgotten about since my childhood!
Indeed, I live a postcard life full of vintage eye candy when here, and I wanted to share some of it with you.

By the way, these original vintage postcards posted here (and more) can be purchased cheaply at the Albert Frey Visitor Center at the entrance to town, get them while they last!:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-05 12:34 pm   Permalink

Your energy and history always make things I see on a day to day basis more exiting then at first glance.
You are a great ambassador of all things mid-century.

For all or your energy and knowledge you always have a great calming effect about the way it's delivered.

Thank you for making this movement so creditable.

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-05 12:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing that Sven. That was beautiful.

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation