FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » S#$T that bothers you!!!! (rant thread)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
S#$T that bothers you!!!! (rant thread)
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 10:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-15 09:37, VampiressRN wrote:
Thank goodness my dogs have their own walker (who WALKS them and let's them sniff the world).

OK...I'm sure I will get in trouble for this...but screaming kids in restaurants totally urk me. Come on people, if I wanted to listen to kids scream I would come over to your house. I am paying for some nice ambiance and a meal not a tonsil solo from your table.

Again, I totally agree!

Here is a true story:

I was a restaurant manager on a busy Friday night. There was this guy there with his 8 year old son, and the son was screaming. Over and over with this high pitched, keening wail! It was really ridiculous! A total temper tantrum and I could see that the guy was just letting him scream, to show the little monster that he would get no reaction. Of course, in the privacy of your own home that probably IS the way to handle it, but not in a busy eatery, and at all the other guest’s expense.
I kept on walking by and looking at this screaming brat and his ignorant, stupid parent, hoping that they would get the hint. They did not, and it just went on and on. People around them were getting up and leaving.
Towards the end of the shift, I was helping the waitresses get their orders out, when the guy approached me, all red-faced: “Excuse me, but do you have a problem?”

I had to swallow my rage and look him in the eyes and say “No sir, I was just concerned if your child was alright or not”. Well, he glared at me, and demanded to know the name of the owner.

I felt like dragging him into the kitchen and holding his head to the hot grill, searing him on both cheeks. That’s what he deserved. But, I had to take it…and play the “customer is always right” angle.

Recently, an online survey showed that 95% of people feel that restaurants have the right to kick out someone with an uncontrollable brat that is screaming.

But what has our country come to that such deplorable manners are permitted (and seem to be the norm) at all?

I remember being a brat myself, and I also remember my mom taking us home if we misbehaved….doesn’t matter if we had reservations or not. Out of control? Then you get to go home and miss out on a fun meal with the foods we liked to eat!

It is this sense of self entitlement people have that bothers me. Everything is ok! Kid screaming in a theater! No problem! Kid sticking his dirty hands in the salad bar? No Problem! Parents bringing Humvee sized double and triple strollers to Disneyland and keeping the kids there to 12:00 PM on a school night? No problem! People walking across an intersection at a snail’s pace and then glaring at you in defiance? No problem! Assholes tailgating you on the freeway when you are already doing 80? NO PROBLEM!

People say the 70’s was the “Me” generation. I say that was nothing compared to the extreme self-centered behavior that is all too common nowadays!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 12:31 pm   Permalink

Preach on Brutha Lucas.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
davidleslie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-15 1:46 pm   Permalink

Whatever happened to basic discipline? If I got out of line, my mom would pull out the wooden spoon! I can't stand it when I see a tantrum and the parents don't do a thing....drives me crazy!

View Profile of davidleslie Send a personal message to davidleslie  Email davidleslie Goto the website of davidleslie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-15 3:44 pm   Permalink

Swank, Lucas, Woofmutt - I have to disagree with you on the smiling I smile all the time, I think I smile when I'm asleep People look at me and think "That poor cretin just grins like a fool, not realizing how horrible the world is" I feel better when I smile and it makes people wonder what I'm up too

And you don't know that I don't have 2 peckers or 4 balls! Umpire say man with 4 balls walks, Confucius say man with 4 balls walks PROUD!!!

But AM I with you on beating bratty children. And if the parents won't beat their bratty childen then someone needs to beat the partents!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 4:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-15 15:44, MadDogMike wrote:
Swank, Lucas, Woofmutt - I have to disagree with you on the smiling I smile all the time, I think I smile when I'm asleep People look at me and think "That poor cretin just grins like a fool, not realizing how horrible the world is" I feel better when I smile and it makes people wonder what I'm up too

And you don't know that I don't have 2 peckers or 4 balls! Umpire say man with 4 balls walks, Confucius say man with 4 balls walks PROUD!!!

But AM I with you on beating bratty children. And if the parents won't beat their bratty childen then someone needs to beat the partents!

But see, Mike, you are an incredibly nice guy! Your smile comes natural....my situation is vastly different. You see, I am NOT a nice person at all...in fact, I am quite horrid most of the time...so asking me to smile is like asking a major league ball player to not take 'roids....it just ain't gonna happen!
My Mom is always saying "You never smile in any of our family pictures"...

Yeah. What's your point, mom?

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2010-09-15 16:12 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 10:58 pm   Permalink

Mr. Mike,

My comments weren't anti-smiling. They were anti-people thinking everyone should be smiling and if they're not something must be wrong.

For the most part I too am smiling all the time. The problem is that my smile is undetectable unless I force it into a clown-like expression which makes my jaws hurt.

I used to get chastised from mom when the school pics came home because I hadn't smiled. Highly annoying because I knew I was smiling when the picture was taken.

After years of these false accusations I decide to check my smile more closely. So I went into the bathroom and looking away from the mirror I smiled. I then looked in the mirror and realized my smile, which I knew was there, could not be detected.

This led to experimenting to determine how much I would have to contort my face to create a detectable smile and what that felt like as I would have no mirror to work with before the school photos. So I would look into the mirror, smile so it could be seen, note how it felt, relax my face and look away from the mirror, recreate the detectable smile face then look in the mirror to see if I had done it.

My first successful school pic smile happened in 5th grade. I was wearing a flannel shirt with prints of whitetails in forest settings. My smile was perfect. Unfortunately my eyes were half closed and I looked stoned out of my mind, an effect only compounded by my longish hair and the hippie bead and leather necklace I was wearing.

Of course mom failed to notice my fantastic smile, she just wanted to know why I had my eyes half closed. So that photo session taught me two valuable lessons:

1. How to smile for the camera so it shows.
    2. No matter how much effort I would put into something mom (and dad) would find something to bitch about.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 01:40 am   Permalink

I know it is simple but, turn signals.....please use them. You spent all that money on your status vehicle, then use that expensive turn signal!!!! I know you have a very important life and it is so much more important than all those around you, but please (like twitter) tell me what the hell you are doing!!!!!!!! OK...I said my peace...mahalo

View Profile of Brice Send a personal message to Brice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 03:01 am   Permalink

I don't like dogs.Or kids.Or people in general.They all annoy me.I like my cats though.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 04:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-16 01:40, Brice wrote:
turn signals.....please use them.

But that would spoil the surprise!

This one seems to be world-wide. Your Turn Signals indicate to the other drivers what you are doing. Using them implies there is someone on the road *other* than themselves. The guy driving that status-symbol car? He's the guy from a few posts up in the restaurant. He's trying to teach a lesson to his kid by ignoring it while trying to talk on the phone with someone who is really pissing him off like maybe the ex-wife's lawyer...... just be happy the schmuck didn't try and merge into your lane with you still in it, or turn left into you at the signal.

Something else I have learned from Florida Drivers..... a blinking turn indicator means only that the lightbulb still works and may not actually indicate the desire to turn or change lanes.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 07:29 am   Permalink

Classic WoLfmutt!!! My middle brother always came home with some goofy smirk on his face at picture time and always got in trouble for it.

I like to mix it up a little - signal left then turn right. That keeps those cell-phone talkers on their toes. And what about those old folks in motorhomes who always drive with a turn signal on? Like they're circling the world to the left!

Me to my blonde wife who is standing behind the car: "Babe, are my turn signals working?"
Wife: "Yes, they are...no wait, they aren't...yes they are...no they aren't...yes they are...
(OK, that's an old one)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 09:23 am   Permalink

Right on Woof. I get that "Whats' wrong?" crap too. And the occasional "You think too much." As if!

And don't get me started on kids! We used to have a smoking section which also happened to coincide with a kid free section. Now I wish they would enact a kid free section. Since the smoking ban, it's become a day care at restaurants. And the 'rents are too busy drinking their Margarita to worry with their kids.

I saw this the other day and I wanted to stand and applaud: At a restaurant and Mom sees the little one on the verge of a tirade. She quietly stands up, grabs the kid and walks outside. When the kid was calm, she came back in. That's how it's done! No one even knew it happened because she pre-empted it.

My Mom, she'd say go outside and find me a switch. I'll be out in a minute...

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 10:08 am   Permalink

Is America the only country where thinking a lot is considered a negative thing?

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 10:49 am   Permalink

This Thread Pisses Me Off !

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 10:56 am   Permalink

Unga Bunga being pissed off pisses GROG off!!

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 11:36 am   Permalink

It bothers me that the world's last two "living human ancestral fossils," Unga Bunga and GROG, can't get along or at the very least just ignore each other.

This is the 21st century, guys, not some jungle filled with dinosaurs and leopard skin clad women. You seem to enjoy indoor plumbing, fast cars, pizza, and Skechers, so why not stop flinging poo and evolve already?

Brendan Fraser managed to do it:

BEFORE

AFTER

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation