FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Madame Wong's, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Madame Wong's, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 9:57 pm   Permalink

Nice post Chub,

I hope we can find some Polynesian images to support the ads claim. Ive got nothing on the interior but Ill keep looking.

I thought Madam Wongs had become
Grandstar which according to Ocea Otica makes a decent Suffering Bastard (with the gerkin /cucumber garnish) but its in the next building over from the Madam Wongs address.

I hope Tony Marsico can chime in on this as I think he may have also spent some late 70s early 80s time there and maybe he could remember any hints of a Polynesian atmosphere?

Tony!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 10:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hakalugi, now we're getting somewhere. So according to the ad, they offered Luaus as well. hmmm...

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 10:10 pm   Permalink

Madame Wongs - either venue - was known first and foremost by my group of underage hooligans as a place you would get served liquor - and usually not get carded if you made it past the front door.

I went there for that purpose initially, later to see friends perform in a band situation. I went to Madame Wongs in '79 for my initial visit when I got my first driver's license. And let me tell you, Madame Wong up close in person was pretty scary/freaky in those days. She usually made the rounds and talked with us. Don't remember anything Poly-Pop, just Chinese kitsch...and strong drinks.

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 10:13 pm   Permalink

Holy Shit !!

Not to derail this thread but does anyone remember the classic Yee Mee Loo bar in Chinatown ??

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22181&forum=2

The old-school Chinese bartender there (who always sported the same 1970's-style haircut) who later moved on to the Good Luck Bar. He passed away 5 days ago !!

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/183563

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 10:35 pm   Permalink

Ok here we go - some Chinese lamps and Sting going native.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-17 1:15 pm   Permalink

THERE WAS A MADAME WONGS WEST ON WILSHIRE BL IN SANTA MONICA/ WEST L.A...CRAPPY OLD DECOR WITH A UPSTAIRS AND DOWNSTAIRS TO IT.. A LOT OF PUNK BAND S AND HOOLIGANS ALRIGHT..GOOD TIMES

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-30 9:46 pm   Permalink

Here is a very interesting article that just came out on the history of Madame Wong's. We now know what the Polynesian connection for the restaurant was, before it became a rock venue. According to the article, Madame Wong's husband was Hawaiian. Read more here...
http://www.laweekly.com/2012-04-26/music/madame-wong-esther-wong-hong-kong-cafe/

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation