FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events tiki caliente 3 (Get Your Mug at www.tiki-caliente.com)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 Next Page )
tiki caliente 3 (Get Your Mug at www.tiki-caliente.com)
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-23 09:33 am   Permalink

I had a great time! Thanks again to Rory for having the Ding Dong Devils play Friday! The Travellodge was a great place to hold the event: the bowl-like layout around the pool area was very conducive to having vendors, stage and pool in one area, with balconies very close and overlooking (which also made it great for the official and impromptu room crawls). The rooms were nice, the place well-kept and nicely-restored. And all the extra time, care and work put in by the artists and volunteers, the Tiki vibe was strong before the festivities even kicked off! And like Ray's Tiki by the side of the stage, the whole thing was smokin' from start to finish!

Caltiki Brent

[ This Message was edited by: congawa 2011-05-23 09:34 ]

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-23 09:38 am   Permalink

Tikicyn just PMed me explaining what happened.

Tikicyn, I do apolgize for assuming you were a troll somehow affiliated with Caliente Tropics...

but please understand that normally, when someone on their first post here states something that seems real negative and designed to hurt, that would be a natural reaction. It's happened here before, and it always turns out to be someone that was either banned and snuck back on, or had some personal beef with someone here. The police had been called a few times that weekend about noise complaints, and if you look at the type of bands that were playing, that is ludicrous as none of us were not all that loud...so of course the obvious culprit is the Caliente next door. They were offered the chance to host this event, and basically told the tiki community we were not welcome, so the Travelodge next door was chosen instead. I am sure that pissed them off, so of course my first reaction was that your post was somehow connected....it did seem a bit strange, and if you look at it in that light after reading this and knowing more of the background of this event, you can see why I made the connection.

As it turns out, you truly were a victim of a serious crime, and well, that sucks. It marred what should otherwise have been a cool weekend for you.

As regards to something else you told me, I have to kind of agree...however, since joining tiki central 8 years ago, I have made a lot of good friends. Of course, there are many I have never spoken to, or gotten to know. For newcomers here and to these events, others have often spoken about similar things they have encountered. But, the more events you go to, the more friends you will make.

So, don't let your bad experience this weekend sour your enthusiasm for Tiki Culture. There are a lot of good times to be had...the key for me is to just stay drunk the whole time. You can't go wrong if you remember the old adage, "when in rome....."

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kinikilu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-23 10:49 am   Permalink

Thank you Rory for a tikitastic time!!!!! Thanks Ray and Mark for a memorable Tiki Preakness race!

View Profile of kinikilu Send a personal message to kinikilu  Email kinikilu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-23 10:59 am   Permalink

Rory, Congratz on another successful and super fun Tiki Caliente.

It was great seeing everyone I don't always get to see,and tho' the idea of playing that close to the pool freaked me out a little at first, it was a great vibe, and the sound up on stage was awesome. Really a nice setting for the band to be playing in. Hopefully it sounded ok out in front.

Really glad that the weather was on our side this year.....PERFECT come night time, and only a little hot during the day. Nothing a dip in the pool or a cool cocktail couldn't cure.

Sad about the Tropics A-Frame incident, but hopefully those dreadful owners will see the value in restoring it, as opposed to tearing it down.
Email them and let them know that it's important that they DO restore it, even tho' they diss us as a community, it's bigger than that. It's an Icon worth fighting for.

Anyway, thanx again Rory and everybody for making this such a great event.

QUICK NOTE : To the dirtbag who backed into Big Bamboo (The Tikiyaki Van) and left without fessing up...Kharma is a b*tch...You'll get yours !

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2011-05-23 21:11 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Missing User65958
Unregistered User
Posted: 2011-05-23 11:09 am   Permalink

Wow I had no idea there was such animosity from Caliente Tropics!
I read the message from Tikicyn, hopefully in the end nothing was stolen because it's never fun having your personal belongings taken from you and it's hard to not feel somewhat biased as to whether or not you'd want to attend again

Last minute changes in plans prevented me from being able to attend, and I'm especially bummed because the weather was apparently amazing this time around vs last year's was deathly hot and I wanted to stay indoors the entire time (heat + alcohol = hot flashes and no fun!). Glad it went well and there was a great turnout (never had a doubt)!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-23 11:09 am   Permalink

What a wonderful weekend in Palm Springs! Fun people, great music, good shopping, Doug Horne's birthday cake which lasted two days, horse racing in the pool... yes, it just got weirder and weirder. Loved every minute! Thank you, Rory and Travel Lodge!

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa-Ru 2011-05-23 11:11 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JudyLuck
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-23 11:27 am   Permalink

had a GREAT time! Cant wait for the rest of the years events! And uhh I think the alcohol got to me and I forgot to take any pictures... oops!... so keep posting if you have them of the hula girls! <3

View Profile of JudyLuck Send a personal message to JudyLuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-23 6:20 pm   Permalink

see ya in October! and August!! June????

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-23 8:18 pm   Permalink

Thank you to Everyone who made it to Tiki Caliente 3. As I am Left with No Voice and Less Braincells then I started with. I must say this was the greatest crowd Yet.
Thanks to all the friends who made it for the first time and thank you to all the regular Tiki Caliente crew that made the new friends feel at home.

This was the first year that we had people from across the U.S. to join our little party.

I hope we showed you a good time and you got your moneys worth.

If there was something that we could improve on please P.M. Me here on Tiki Central.

A Special Thanks to
Doug Horne for the Art
Tiki Ray for the Large Tikis
Big Tiki Dude (Jeff) for always keeping the Vibe right and helping me line up some great talent
Crazy Al for his Tiki Swag and For M.C.ing the Event and being the life of the Party
Everyone who Helped at the gates,security,or helping with check-ins.
The Bands and Vendors
Appletons Rum,Asombroso,Primo Beer,Swank.com,Live Magazine.
And all the Friends that give us a weekend of there time to try and entertain them.

and Last but not least,The Travel Lodge...

They made us feel at home and did a great job dressing the part and making the lobby Very Tiki.

Thank you for helping us tear the roof off the joint!!!!!!!! DIg?

W

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quasimodo57
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-23 9:26 pm   Permalink

Our first time to Tiki Caliente, but we are "tiki fanatics" and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! The weather was perfect for this time of year....the drinks flowed easy....the music was divine....and the vendors were sublime!!! Count us in next spring...a short 300 mile journey from Phoenix...maybe next year we will fly in on Tikiyaki Airlines!!! Mahalo!

View Profile of Quasimodo57 Send a personal message to Quasimodo57      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-23 9:30 pm   Permalink

What a great weekend. So many new memories: meeting new people, hearing great live music (from bands I knew and didn't know), drinkin cocktails, shopping, and then just relaxing and staying over Sunday with extra time to unwind. Pictures to come when work isn't looming (trip to San Diego this week: hello Bali Hai!).

Thanks to Rory for organizing the party. Now I know what the hype from Caliente 1&2 was all about.

And DJ BigTikiDude: awesome job all weekend. Loved your selections.

New art to frame, new mugs to drink from, new music to listen to...Tiki Caliente isn't done yet!

Kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-23 9:51 pm   Permalink

Hey where did everyone go ?? (I finally got out of bed at the Travelodge.)

Tiki Caliente isn't supposed to end until tomorrow (Tues) !!

Didn't anyone read Spike's poster ??

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-23 10:36 pm   Permalink

Wishful thinking on my part, I guess! I swear that I copy an pasted that date from somewhere... Pretty funny, regardless.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-23 10:37 pm   Permalink

Checking in at TC3

"Hey, take a picture of me with Amy and my new TC3 Doug Horne poster!"

The lovely views from Dr. Z's room

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-23 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-23 21:51, JOHN-O wrote:

Didn't anyone read Spike's poster ??

Misery loves company.... i Love this! Kirby's on board? mr.tobunga....

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2011-05-23 22:50 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation