FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai-Kai's Floridita Daiquiri - Authentic recipe?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Mai-Kai's Floridita Daiquiri - Authentic recipe?
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-27 06:27 am   Permalink

Looking at the sister drink, the Derby Daiquiri, the original rum used was Don-Q from Puerto Rico. Actually, it still is the rum used today unless you ask for something special.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-27 10:03 am   Permalink

The Floridita Daiquiri a la Mai-Kai is an awesome drink; I think it works with either red or white grapefruit(when fresh). Funny how everyone mentions that Hemingway skipped the sugar cause he was a diabetic, considering that he once downed SIXTEEN of 'em in an evening! Can't say healthy living was a big concern, imho.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-27 9:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks jokeiii, I should know my Cuban rum history being so close to Havana. If they had taught my old high school "Americanism vs. Communism" course with a few daiquiris, I might have a better recollection.

I meant to say that Cuban rum was likely used in the Floridita, and you're correct that in those days that meant the Bacardi brand. As for the Derby, I like to think that Cuban rum would have been used if not for the drink's ties to the Rums of Puerto Rico contest.

An interesting side story (this was related to Swanky by old Mai-Kai GM Bob Van Dorpe): The Thornton brothers used to very regularly head to Cuba on Fridays for the weekend. This left him with a lot of things to juggle in their absence, much to his annoyance. They had a chaffeur who was connected to the Batista regime, so they avoided any problems on these weekend jaunts.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2012-02-27 21:29 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-28 6:59 pm   Permalink

An interesting little factoid about Cuban rum is that the "white" rum was more like the equivalent to a reposado tequila, i.e. with a tiny bit of unfiltered age to it. When trying to replicate this at home, I usually mix white and gold rums 3:1.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation