Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Sculpting Wax Help
Sculpting Wax Help
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-17 11:34 am   Permalink

Were can I purchase sculpting wax online?
I used a regular candle to sculpt my first mug, when I went to make the plaster mold the wax melted to the inside of the mold when it got hot.. It still worked but it seemes to take a long time to for the slip clay to dry and get thick since the tiny holes in the plaster were clogged with the wax...
Anyways if anyone has a source for some sculpting wax that's about the size of a mug let me know..

Mahalo's

[ This Message was edited by: beachbumz 2010-09-17 12:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Beachbumz 2014-04-16 03:11 ]

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-17 3:40 pm   Permalink

I sculpted my first one with a pillar candle too! Mine candle didn't melt when the plaster heated but your mold looks much better than mine did. Sorry I can't help you with you sculpture wax, I've only made a few molds and most of them were modified "found" objects.

I know the are several different types of wax with different characteristics. I also know some of the artists closely guard their wax brand and source, let's see if you get and responses?

I'm not a professional and have not tried this but you could try to salvage the mold. Cured plaster holds up to water pretty good, maybe a short boiling water and detergent bath would dissolve that wax? If the mold is already shot, you don't have much to lose.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 6:03 pm   Permalink

Check out: http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/Wax/Micro.htm

traderscotts.com

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2010-09-18 09:59 am   Permalink

Mahaloz MadDogMike, Phinz, I actually got most of the melted candle off w/ some rubbing alcohol and have been able to use the mold.. I was just looking for a better wax, one that would not melt and that is in a cylinder shape ready to be carved... I sent a few emails out to some places and maybe I'll get some responses.. We don't have one ceramic shop here on the Island so it's hard to get answers locally..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-24 11:55 am   Permalink

Scott, try email gecko, I bet he can hook you up.

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-24 1:17 pm   Permalink

Hey Scott,

You may be better off trying to work with an oil clay build up on your next master...try a Roma 3 or 4. You can slice, and heat the clay to hand workable with the heat of a single light bulb - you can tool work it as it cools....play with it, you'll see...

Best -

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-24 3:48 pm   Permalink

Hi Babalu, that's next on my list. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2010-09-25 11:56 pm   Permalink

Babalu, I think I'll try that type of oil clay, I used some regular clay I got to use for the plaster mold but it dried so quickly.. I might even be able to get it hear on the rock...
Mahaloz for the help..

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation