FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving HELP !!! Spar Urethane gone bad!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
HELP !!! Spar Urethane gone bad!
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 07:14 am   Permalink

sounds like I need to start using that storage room out back for storing my logs!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 07:50 am   Permalink

Hey shirtman, tough break on the finish, and Buzzy is right on and Aloha Station is too.

First you never should put on a Heavy or thick coat.. If you want a thick built up look do it with multiple thin coats and it's Always a good idea to use a sealer first. Also as Aloha said, SAND in between coats, it's Important to do it Every time!

for your current situation, Sanding is the way to go, the Only way to go to get it right. That thick gummy stuff has to be removed.

I learned the Hard way just like you are doing so don't feel bad. I've a feeling most All of us have taken this particular class too.
Hope this helps.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-23 11:38 am   Permalink

Hey Shirtman, that's a fine looking carve. I'm in the DRY DESERT about 100 miles east of you. I'd be happy to store it for a year to see if it dried out

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 3:54 pm   Permalink

CABOT'S,
AUSTRALIAN TIMBER OIL.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-26 5:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the responses.
After sitting for a few he's gotten a little better. I did some light sanding on him and also in the cracks where he went awry. I'm trying to keep it light to keep from completely restraining him.

Did some tests on some inconspicuous spots and the results were positive so I think He can be salvaged without a complete stripping.
I redid the urethane today on a day where it was in the high 80's with 28% humidity. I'll take some pictures when he cures a little.

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gibgib
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-08 3:58 pm   Permalink

Do you have any finished pics of that tiki?
Looks brilliant

View Profile of gibgib Send a personal message to gibgib  Email gibgib Goto the website of gibgib     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation