FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Starting!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Starting!
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 06:00 am   Permalink

1- I'd LOVE to get some suitably tiki "luggage stickers" for the baggage.

2- Given that my decor philosophy for the tiki habitat is "What things in nice shape can I get REALLY cheap?" and given what's out there in general, I think this will eventually skew more in the tiki-nautical direction. Bamboo, rattan, but also dark woods and brass. We'll see.

(I'd love to include a periscope, but I think the zoning guys may object strenuously.)

3- More than anything else -- and here I think I'm in the solid majority of TCers -- I want this habitat to be IMMERSIVE. You step in, plop down, and within 10 minutes have no idea if it's day or night, what day of the week it is, or even what year it is.

4- Speaking of mugs, etc. there are a few I'd dearly love to have. Miehana, Hukilau '10 and a suitable "fire" bowl (the one they showed in the Smuggler's Cove segment of Food[ography] is ideal, in case you feel a strange compulsion to shop for me now that Christmas/Chanukah are around the corner) would neatly round out my mug inventory.

5- The room in question -- a rather narrow-but-deep specimen -- has a decent sized window at the very back; where "behind the bar" would be. The view from said window is underwhelming. I'd LOVE to put something waterfall-ish there. Any suggestions?

Mahalo in advance,

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2010-11-12 12:47 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 09:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-12 06:00, jokeiii wrote:
1- I'd LOVE to get some suitably tiki "luggage stickers" for the baggage.

SMILEY SEZ-I don't know how good your computer graphic skills are (mine suck), You could create them, or search the web (like ebay) and copy images to glue on the your luggage. Search words like HAWAII TRAVEL DECAL or HAWAII LUGGAGE DECAL. Assuming you like older imagery you may have to add VINTAGE if your searches bring up too much modern junk. I just saw these a second ago on ebay;

2- Given that my decor philosophy for the tiki habitat is "What things in nice shape can I get REALLY cheap?" and given what's out there in general, I think this will eventually skew more in the tiki-nautical direction. Bamboo, rattan, but also dark woods and brass. We'll see.

SMILEY SEZ- You have Safari Thatch (and maybe other places) locally.
http://www.safarithatch.com/post/products.aspx . Safari is in Ft. Lauderdale.

4- Speaking of mugs, etc. there are a few I'd dearly love to have. Miehana, Hukilau '10 and a suitable "fire" bowl (the one they showed in the Smuggler's Cove segment of Food[ography] is ideal, in case you feel a strange compulsion to shop for me now that Christmas/Chanukah are around the corner) would neatly round out my mug inventory.

SMILEY SEZ- I don't have any of those, but I have some plastic cups (clear and not) for sale on ebay from Trader Vic's in Las Vegas- great if you have a pool or clumsy guests! (oof-that Mr Smiley-damn self-promoter!)

Mahalo in advance,

Hope my above comments were useful!! --smiley

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2010-11-12 09:04 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:49 pm   Permalink

Excellent suggestions!!! Fortunately for me, my graphics skills are pretty good. It's when I have to get all "This Old House" with the power tools that I'm in trouble.

Mahalo, etc.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 5:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I want this habitat to be IMMERSIVE. You step in, plop down, and within 10 minutes have no idea if it's day or night, what day of the week it is, or even what year it is.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2010-11-12 12:47 ]

THAT, right there, is the ultimate goal, no matter how you put it together.

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu  Goto the website of bamboo stu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 6:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The view from said window is underwhelming. I'd LOVE to put something waterfall-ish there. Any suggestions?

Yes, A WATERFALL!
Look at some pictures of waterfalls you like, guess how it may be constructed and try to make one.
I say a crap waterfall is better than no waterfall..

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-13 04:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-12 18:50, Tiki Trav wrote:
Look at some pictures of waterfalls you like, guess how it may be constructed and try to make one.
I say a crap waterfall is better than no waterfall.

The only drawbacks with this plan are a) in my guessing how one may be constructed and b) in my trying to construct one.

WSWahine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-21 07:03 am   Permalink

My two cents is.....the bar is such a beautiful piece that to try and make it like every other tiki/bamboo bar out there would be a shame. I would leave it as is. You really scored on this one and looks like you have a very "continental" style room emerging with the beautiful luggage and world globe. Looks like you have found your own tiki "lane" to walk down. I like it. Look forward to following your progress.

View Profile of WSWahine Send a personal message to WSWahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mahalo Mark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-21 08:40 am   Permalink

A periscope would be awesome! Just tell the zoning dept. you're installing a chimney. (A fireplace in Miami?) Also, Safari Thatch is only a stone's throw from you and the Mai Kai. It's where I got a bunch of my supplies for my Tiki PatiOasis Lounge. The building is more than half the fun of enjoying your own tiki bar. Good luck!

[ This Message was edited by: Mahalo Mark 2010-11-21 15:14 ]

View Profile of Mahalo Mark Send a personal message to Mahalo Mark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 12:02 pm   Permalink

Didn't I tell you progress would be slow?

Yes, but there HAS been progress. Again, patient Craigslistery has paid off (pics to follwo, hang tight) in that I have found an old "wine cabinet" with a ruined refrigeration unit for -- let's just round down -- essentially nothing. Took out all the rusted, useless guts and I am left with a lovely, near-mint solid oak cabinet. Rattanize (this is a stretch for me, so cross your fingers) the panels, stain to match the bar and I finally have a place to stash my hoard of ardent spirits, liqueurs, syrups, bitters and hyperabundance of glassware (both Tiki and civilian).

In measuring the Future Home of my Tiki Habitat ("This area is being refurbished for your future enjoyment," as Disney theme parks oft-remind visitors.) there is a structural soffit-ish segment that is ideal for stashing a projector.

Has anyone tried using a projector to project "background" imagery? (Beachscapes, sunsets, etc.)

Mahalo in advance,

-J.

P.S. I THINK I figured out the waterfall issue, if I can get away with a mish-mash of a false wall behind the back window of the Tiki Habitat.

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 1:12 pm   Permalink

Hi there Jokeiii (is that pronounced joke-eye-eye-eye?)
I've done lots of the rear projected background type of scenarios. In fact I have one for my Tiki bar but decided to have my fake windows do double duty (heh-heh, he said....duty). I'm also building a diorama (which also involves rear projection for integrating projected water into a scene from below)
You can see it here if you're interested:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28247&forum=20&start=315&324

Anyway, on a recent trip to Hawaii, I brought an HD camcorder and shot hours worth of locked down footage of our favorite beach on Kaua'i (Tunnels Beach on the North shore which doubled as Bali Hai in the movie South Pacific).
I got early morning, mid-day, sunset, and magic hour to darkness. I then edited all that into a shortened cycle going from morning to dark in about an hour.

Looks really nice when rear-projected if you have a good transluscent screen (or facsimile), a bright enough projector (2000 lumens +) and the overall room lighting is fairly low (which is a given in a Tiki bar anyway). It also helps to recess the screen just a bit to keep errant reflections to a minimum and give it an extra bit of simulated depth.
It's tricky, but you can sometimes get away with adding some foreground 'set dressing' like plants, etc -- but that really depends on how well you can get it to blend with the light levels and textures in your footage.

Definitely play around with it. It's really fun when you can recreate/bring home a place you love and recreate the vibe.
Good luck and have a great time with it.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 4:29 pm   Permalink

Aha.

Fiendishly clever idea, that. I especially think it would be great to get HD footage of a "clipper" airplane, and down here in Miami there are excellent opportunities to get footage of gorgeously retro Grumman Goose (geese?) seaplanes, with a suitably tropical backdrop.

I best get sketching, yes?

Mahalo and a half,

-Joke III, son of Joke II, grandson of Joke I and dad to Joke IV

gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 6:10 pm   Permalink

I love tiki glassware too! Let me know if you post closeup pics somewhere because my biggest challenge is recognizing old glassware vs. new.

Also, new old stock travel decals are available online in the $3-5 dollar range. Don't buy off ebay because specialty retailers are much cheaper. From experience, you need a few to get it right because folks didn't have it as easy back then and I screwed up about $15 dollars worth, damn. I learned about it from car guys who like to dress up old station wagons/woodies with the water decals. Sadly surf or tiki equals big bucks.

Thanks for sharing,
Gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 6:14 pm   Permalink

Bump, just looked and it seems all the tropical ones are more expensive but if you think kansas and colorado are tiki then it is an option.

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 9:36 pm   Permalink

The plane in my diorama is actually a model of a Clipper with a 3 ft wingspan.
The Diorama is all related to the 'backstory' I created for my bar which is essentially that it is a WW2-ish era pilot's bar at one of those Pacific way-points (this one on Kaua'i) that the Clippers had to stop and refuel at along the way.

There is a door to the right of my bar that theoretically leads to that dock you see in the diorama where the Clipper is tied up.

I have quite a bit of WW2 and vintage aviation memoribilia in addition a wrecked plane seating area I built in the corner that helps tie everything together.

Quote:

On 2011-03-11 16:29, jokeiii wrote:
Aha.

Fiendishly clever idea, that. I especially think it would be great to get HD footage of a "clipper" airplane, and down here in Miami there are excellent opportunities to get footage of gorgeously retro Grumman Goose (geese?) seaplanes, with a suitably tropical backdrop.

I best get sketching, yes?

Mahalo and a half,

-Joke III, son of Joke II, grandson of Joke I and dad to Joke IV

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-12 03:05 am   Permalink

The effect I'm going for is akin to that of the old "If You Had Wings" from Disney World. (I'm thinking of how cool it'd be to have a HD video loop of Grumman Geese taking off or landing from certain Hawaii-ish looking spots here Miami or the FL Keys.)

Did you conceive the diorama and get footage to fit, or vice versa?

Mahalo and so forth,

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation