FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Starting!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Starting!
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 07:27 am   Permalink

OK. Here's the latest.

The former winecellar thing has been rigged up to be functional. Not IDEAL, mind you. But functional.

As you can see, it came with a upholstery-ish grapevine fabric panel lining thing that's more Napa Valley than Rapa Nui. So, regrettably, it's gotta go. (If, for some bizarre reason, while you are on a Tiki forum you're also in the market for some grapevine fabric panels...I will trade them for something cool. Then I'll be Trader Joke. All sales final, offer void where prohibited.)

I removed the X-shaped wine bottle storage shelving and installed (screwing in things more-or-less-level is pretty much the uppermost limit of my DIY skill set) a couple of glass shelves rescued from a Craigslist fridge, and a sliding shelf -- you can see it in the fully extended position above -- from a cannibalized computer desk and a (temporary) light. These shelves are framed with suitably sized wood frames, from a frame guy...who looked at me VERY weird when I made this request.

And, most elegantly, I tucked in my old dorm fridge which my wife had been begging me to jettison for epochs. (I covered up the space with some spare grape fabric. It's a complete jury rig, but looks fine from 3 ft or further, and besides this isn't permanent.)

The flooring on this beast is an unholy mess. Some ancient sort of parquet that probably began to dissolve its bonds sometime during the Ford Administration. That one's easy...bamboo flooring

This is the outside, in its current state. Remember that.

Besides rattanizing the front, which is likeliest the Tiki aesthetic path of least resistance, I have been toying with the idea of covering the outside with [I have no idea what, just go with me on this, will ya?] to make it look like a big steamer trunk of yore. Then I'd slap a lot of the same travel stickers as I threatened to do to those Tiki hand-luggage pieces from 2-3 posts ago.

I am not sure what I'll discover once I excise the grapey fabric. Assuming it's merely fabric and padding, I was thinking of replacing the fabric with something suitably Tiki. Maybe reconditioning some past-their-prime shirts, or some tapa cloth or...something.

Since I know you guys have all been on pins and needles as re. the back window of the proposed Tiki habitat, here's what I have struck upon. (Tell me where I am making a blunder, before I start taking out implements and making changes.)

The eventual window-behind-the-bar in question is +/- 5ft (call it 1.5m for those so inclined) by +/- 3ft (.9m) and immediately to the outside there is enough overhang that my projector could be placed -- I didn't say "installed" did you catch that? -- and it'd still be protected and sheltered. That projector would then (duh) project, all rear-projectionlike, assorted images suitable for an Immersive Tiki Habitat. The temptation to steal, without the slightest chemical trace of shame or compunction, the idea of a diorama is very great indeed, but this simply won't meet the spatial requirements and it'd look all squashy and flat. I MAY use an approach similar to Walt Disney's "multiplane camera" (Oh, just Google it.) but now this is starting to sound ominously like work.

There is also enough room under that overhang (6ft/1.8m) to plant suitable tropical foliage to add suitable depth. Unlike our cousins in chillier climes, all of the usual foliage will grow outside just fine.

Also!

I had been musing about a waterfall oustide that window. Which led me to...think of playing with the rain gutters so that, immediately behind this window, all the water from a given rainfall (it's been known to rain here in Miami...no, really, it does) can be channeled into a serious rainfall.

Anyway, this is the room that will eventually become the Immersive Tiki Habitat. You can see what I'm talking about.

Its current purpose is to serve as a homework station, which is why you will spy all sorts of shelfy, computery things. Incidentally, the desk on the right came THISCLOSE to being comandeered as a bar. It's from Broyhill's "Fontana" line. The size is right, and with some very minimal work (a couple of bamboo-ish wood appliqués, some matting and tah-dah) can be turned into a Tiki bar very happily. Those are going for $200 on CL, on average. Just saying.

Anyway, that's it for this report. Feel free to chime in with suggestions or impassioned cries of warning.

Mahalo in advance.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2011-03-31 08:40 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 11:17 pm   Permalink

Seems really heavy stuff.
The matting design looks great!

View Profile of Polly Send a personal message to Polly  Goto the website of Polly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 02:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-12 23:17, Polly wrote:
Seems really heavy stuff.
The matting design looks great!

Stand by for updates w. photos.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-04-24 09:02 am   Permalink

You bastard, you've got a roll top desk. GROG always wanted a roll top desk.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 7:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-24 09:02, GROG wrote:
You bastard, you've got a roll top desk. GROG always wanted a roll top desk.

Draw one.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 10:10 am   Permalink

Over on HIS thread, the very estimable Mr. PupuPants posted something on the matter of lamps and using some vintage aquarium-ish kitsch to make them.

(http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28247&forum=20&start=330#586399)

That gave me an idea, to kinda sorta maybe go with my Tiki theme (that being "stuff I got for next-to-nothing") which is to dredge up old National Geographic maps and old nautical charts to make lampshades therefrom.

I'll experiment with these over the weekend, and if successful, post pix. (I think gluing paper to things is within my set of DIY skills).

Hang tight.

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-29 10:40 am   Permalink

You people thought I was kidding when I said things would be going really slow.

HA! I guess I showed you!

Part of this slowitude is the fact that I have an æsthetic constraint, which we have discussed in great depth previously, which limits me to Only Tiki-ish Things I Can Get Free Or Cheaper. I am also hampered by the fact my DIY skills are somewhere between "nonexistent" and "abysmal."

And yet!

I put up that shelf.

And I put Tiki drinking vessels upon it. Oh, yes I did. A Fourtune Fire Bowl -- a great hit at parties as people love to drink things with a fire nearby -- and three unnamed Tiki mugs I grabbed at a garage sale for "stupid cheap" and a Miehana mug I found on eBay for (I'm embarrassed to say how little) when the seller (mis)spelled it "Mihana."

But is that all I have done?

NO!

Scouring as I do garage sales, I scored a midsized "coffer" with an Asian look to it (it has a shallow relief of a lotus blossom)

and this especially sweet bamboo shaped bottle and it will be converted into a light with the aid of one of those cork-and-wick things where you fill the bottle with, say, citronella and light the thing.

I followed this up with a snazzy bamboo serving tray, with cutouts to carry six stemmed glasses and a fairly useful load of, say, crab rangoon.

Then, feeling the giddy rush of acquring things at the dizzying rate of one ever 8 weeks, I went all out at a rummage sale where I scored not one, but two sets of prints. One of these assorted exotic (to someone who has never been anywhere near a zoo) animals and another of vintage nautical charts of the south Pacific.

Did I mention they were really cheap? $2 for the complete haul?

Because I was kind of enamored with the idea of cool, Tiki-ish prints, I found some SHAG examples from Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room's 40th anniversary.

Finally I managed to consolidate all my cocktail/wine/beer/spirits books into one spot.

For those of you who recall the "waterfall plan" I decided to arrange the rain gutters such that right behind the window in question there is a cutout which will allow our torrential rainstorms to drain in a waterfall-y way. A couple of cheap fountain pumps might be pressed into duty for a day sadly lacking in Noah-and-the-Ark-rain.

One thing I'm also thinking about is finding a vintage, bamboo-ish china cabinet (something Hollywood Regency, stripped and stained?) to use as a back bar and to showcase the assorted drinkware and bottles. But it's gotta be cheap.

Discuss.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2012-01-29 10:50 ]

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 09:46 am   Permalink

Here is the current state of my TEMPORARY (because this will all get better as soon as I can, er, get to it) Tiki habitat.

I was going to get more work done on this, but I got some coupons for X% off on certain obscure rums at a liquor store clear across town and, well, that was that.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2012-03-26 09:48 ]

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 11:24 am   Permalink

I may be glacially slow, but I'm still progressing. Pretty good haul of stuff from Hukilau 2012. (Vintage bamboo-designed silver champagne bucket stand!) Photos to follow.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 12:16 pm   Permalink

Come on Man! get to it......it has been two years now.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 02:15 am   Permalink

...which reminds me.

Does anyone have a website/link to suitable CEILING lighting fixtures? (A ceiling fan will likely not work.) One thing I've done is installed a dimmer switch in the room that will eventually house my habitat. The dimmer switch will allow me to illuminate it properly for hosting people in an immersive environment AND for cleaning up afterwards.

Any suggestions?

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-13 07:44 am   Permalink

Progress has been slow-but-steady.

But this post is more about a request for help than anything else. I want to use the following wallpaper as the main wall covering (with bamboo appliqués at evenly spaced intervals).

Question: Anyone have a link anywhere to this sort of wallpaper?

(I included the switch plate for scale.)

Mahalo in advance,

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-13 07:54 am   Permalink

Is it wallpaper? Or cloth? You can get the actual cloth somewhat cheap from various online retailers, and I would vote for that myself.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-13 11:03 am   Permalink

It's neither, really. If I had to guess it's some sort of raffia weave thing. Wouldn't even know under what term to search although I DO have 2-3 hours to kill before my next teleconference.

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-13 1:12 pm   Permalink

It's on the other side of the country from you, but they have ALL the wallpaper you could possibly want. It does not look or feel like wall paper, but it goes up like wall paper.

http://www.franksupply.com/

Here's a direct link to their wall paper section:
http://www.franksupply.com/tropical/specialty-products.html#wallpaper

Look around their site, you may find quite a bit that you could use for wall coverings. Good luck!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation