FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » What Tiki Music Are You Listening To? (plus reviews)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
What Tiki Music Are You Listening To? (plus reviews)
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-10 6:51 pm   Permalink

Love all his music specially the trumpet solos by Bobby Hackett.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-10 9:03 pm   Permalink

I really, REALLY need to hear those Jackie Gleason albums.

I am so in love with this lately:

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-21 6:19 pm   Permalink

I ordered and received this gem; Eumir Deodato's first album "Lounge '64". This kind of stuff has always been straight up my alley: Lush strings, smooth trombones, flutes and bongos. Made for the urban bachelor pad.....a great bunch of Mancini covers!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-22 12:40 am   Permalink

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-09 9:05 pm   Permalink

Saw a post about these guys on Instagram and really liked them.

http://www.kinkywaikiki.com/listen/

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Roa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-03-30 7:48 pm   Permalink

Tonights playlist includes Willie Nelson's homage to island reggae album 'Countryman'-Herb Alpert's 'Greatest Hits'- and The Wailers 'Burnin'

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Roa 2016-03-30 19:48 ]

View Profile of Tiki Roa Send a personal message to Tiki Roa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-30 8:38 pm   Permalink

huh?...what??

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-31 07:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-30 20:38, komohana wrote:

huh?...what??

Well, at least Herb Alpert is a logical descendent of the lounge/exotica style.....Julius Wechter (a member of the Tijuana brass), the marimba/vibe player who also formed the Baja marimba band, also was one of the last mallet players for Martin Denny, (if I am recalling that correctly), and the same people (adults over 30) who 10 years before would have been listening to les baxter, Denny and lyman would have beeen able to find solace in the Tijuana Brass and Baja marimba (and Sergio mendes) once rock music/youth culture started taking over the public consciousness.

The island reggae, nope. I am not being negative, just pointing out that island reggae has nothing to do with the mid century poly-pop aesthetic. Here come the flamers.....1,2,3......and GO!!!!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Roa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-04-04 7:10 pm   Permalink

Esquival was a total badass-is he tiki enough for ya?

View Profile of Tiki Roa Send a personal message to Tiki Roa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-05 09:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-04 19:10, Tiki Roa wrote:
Esquival was a total badass-is he tiki enough for ya?

Out of the following :

"Exotica, Lounge, Cocktail, Hawaiian, Vocals & Standards, Bump & Grind, Space-Age, Surf, Rockabilly, Swing and Tiki band discussion"

Esquivel hits about 6 of those styles, so yeah.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-27 3:09 pm   Permalink

Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-05-14 7:55 pm   Permalink

Bump. We’re really good at updating the “What Are You Drinking” thread; I wonder if can we revive this one.

I’m really enjoying
Phil Moore’s “Polynesian Paradise” album as I do a few boring chores (like balancing my checkbook, if anyone remembers what that is).

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation