FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Has anyone use Falernum to make Margaritas?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Has anyone use Falernum to make Margaritas?
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-26 11:56 am   Permalink

That's the question. Has anyone done it?

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-26 10:48 pm   Permalink

why would you want to? Tequila, Cointreau (triple sec) and fresh lime juice
Falernum would just not mix well with these.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 06:26 am   Permalink

I really can't see falernum & tequila playing nicely w. each other. (In fact, I can't think of a single cocktail featuring these.)

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 07:21 am   Permalink

Hmm..... Tequila and Falernum.....

Not sure the clove components of the Falernum would cooperate with the Tequila.

I think a lighter Falernum like Taylor's could be made to work with the right Tequila. Something in the silver family and on the lighter side overall, something like Hornitos(sp?) maybe?

It sounds like a lot of work to get the balance right, and not sure it would be good for much beyond the experimental value of the attempt.

I do have a couple of different Falernum's and Tequilas under the bar so I'm willing to try.

Anyone care to join on this experiment? Report back your findings if you do.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 09:01 am   Permalink

Are you thinking of falernum with alcohol like John Taylor's or the syrup like Fee Bros? Hmmmm... Either way, I think I'd use agave syrup instead.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 11:41 am   Permalink

I use agave syrup. No doubt, it's wonderful stuff. I even use if instead of simple syrup on many drinks and get fantastic results.

My thought here is to spice up the margarita, just a tad and get some more use out of my falernum. I use Taylors at this time.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 11:42 am   Permalink

Having made margarita's for year - I have a key lime tree in the yard, I am interested in taking it in a new direction.

How do you think it might play with Sombra or Mescal?

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-27 11:42, telescopes wrote:
How do you think it might play with Sombra or Mescal?

Not familiar enough with the Sombra to venture a guess.

Mescal I think would be bad with Falernum, but am willing to try because there are quite a few drinks that look like they shouldn't work upon reading but wind up quite yummy in the glass.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 12:23 pm   Permalink

Just plain wrong! agave syrup will make an "Agave Margarita",you can add fruit flavors,like Blood Orange,Melon etc
stick with the rum!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 1:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-27 12:23, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Just plain wrong! agave syrup will make an "Agave Margarita",you can add fruit flavors,like Blood Orange,Melon etc
stick with the rum!

I have to disagree. The agave sweetener I use has a very neutral taste and it smooths out as well as brings out some of the notes of the citric flavors found in lime or lemon - often in ways that sugar syrup simple can't.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 1:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-27 13:03, telescopes wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-09-27 12:23, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
stick with the rum!

I have to disagree. The agave sweetener I use has a very neutral taste and it smooths out as well as brings out some of the notes of the citric flavors found in lime or lemon - often in ways that sugar syrup simple can't.

what I was saying is Falernum in Plain Wrong! for Margaritas, I was recommending the Agave Syrup instead.

telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 4:57 pm   Permalink

My goal is to build a truly "Tiki Rita!"

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 5:47 pm   Permalink

Its called a Mai Tai!

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-28 08:04 am   Permalink

Initial testing did not go well. Best option of three was to use a dash of Falernum, but the aroma of the Falernum and Tequila was a bit odd.... not bad, just hard to describe.

My suspicion is that one of two things will happen.... first you will wind up having to add another ingredient or two to find a balance in the drink. Or second you will wind up with such a tiny amount of Falernum as to wonder why bother.

I am not discouraging further research, I am suggesting that the resulting cocktail will be far enough away from the original Margarita concept to not be a Margarita any longer.

I think if research continues, a new drink name should be included to the work list.

Just my opinion, your mileage will vary.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-28 08:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-27 16:57, telescopes wrote:
My goal is to build a truly "Tiki Rita!"

Wastin' away again in Tiki-Rita-ville...

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation