FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Has anyone use Falernum to make Margaritas?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Has anyone use Falernum to make Margaritas?
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 2:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-28 08:04, Chip and Andy wrote:
Initial testing did not go well. Best option of three was to use a dash of Falernum, but the aroma of the Falernum and Tequila was a bit odd.... not bad, just hard to describe.

My suspicion is that one of two things will happen.... first you will wind up having to add another ingredient or two to find a balance in the drink. Or second you will wind up with such a tiny amount of Falernum as to wonder why bother.

I am not discouraging further research, I am suggesting that the resulting cocktail will be far enough away from the original Margarita concept to not be a Margarita any longer.

I think if research continues, a new drink name should be included to the work list.

Just my opinion, your mileage will vary.

Chip and Andy:

Thank you for taking the time to look into this matter. I truly appreciate it. I feel that just as the Mai Tai is a quasi zenith of rum, margaritas are likewise for tequila.

I am always on the lookout for new recipe uses for falernum. I hate to have an ingredient that is hard to get that then has limited uses.

And thanks to everyone else that looked into this for me.

For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 10:39 am   Permalink

That all being said, I think one of the main points about falernum is that even in near-microscopic quantities, it has an impact. So I will slightly take issue w. the very estimable Chip on this very narrow point. By my count, however, falernum is present in +/- 40 tiki cocktails. It seems to have been one of those go-to, everpresent ingredients for Don the Beachcomber the way orgeat was for Trader Vic.

Just a thought.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 1:14 pm   Permalink

Do the math.....Falernum + Tequlia = BAD

example: Orange Juice + Milk = BAD, Strawberrys + Hamburger = BAD, Cheese + Lucky Charms = BAD
Somethings just do not mix, it is a crime against Nature and Nature can be a Bitch! don't mess with her!

Enjoy your Margaritas with lot's of fruit combos, keep the Falernum in a proper Tiki drink.
The Universe will be in balance and your drink will taste good.

I have said my piece and will go away now.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation