[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Tai Help
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Mai Tai Help
GeneriKB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-11 12:29 pm   Permalink

A little update on this...I gave it a try with 1oz St. James Hors D'age, .5oz Appleton 12yr, and .5oz LH151.

It's amazing how much of a difference just a half an ounce can make to the taste of a drink. I definitely liked it...was it way better than my original way? Hard to tell, but let's just say I didn't pour it down the sink As a matter of fact, I somehow managed to mix up 5 of these bad boys, and apparently I got through 4.5 of them. Found myself sleeping on the couch Saturday morning...my awesome wife gave me a pillow and a bottle of water on the coffee table.

These things hit me like a truck...I went from "Hey this is pretty tasty" to complete blackout passed out. So if you try a 151 mai tai, drink in moderation!!!!

View Profile of GeneriKB Send a personal message to GeneriKB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-11 7:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-11 12:29, GeneriKB wrote:
A little update on this...I gave it a try with 1oz St. James Hors D'age, .5oz Appleton 12yr, and .5oz LH151.

It's amazing how much of a difference just a half an ounce can make to the taste of a drink. I definitely liked it...was it way better than my original way? Hard to tell, but let's just say I didn't pour it down the sink As a matter of fact, I somehow managed to mix up 5 of these bad boys, and apparently I got through 4.5 of them. Found myself sleeping on the couch Saturday morning...my awesome wife gave me a pillow and a bottle of water on the coffee table.

These things hit me like a truck...I went from "Hey this is pretty tasty" to complete blackout passed out. So if you try a 151 mai tai, drink in moderation!!!!

Better be careful with that LH151, there's no more of that stuff left out there!

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-23 09:30 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the info! been mixing up back and forth. Appleton.. great change. was already using cointreau instead of the sad Curacao i have ( but dam that can be $$) found out that the wrong lime is a killer if your not watching it. needs to be a ready/ripe lime unlike most in the store. mixed up several with some not quite ready and you sure taste the difference. now if I was squeezing several for a party, they would blend better. Anyone try key limes? Was recommended to me at a trade show my wife and I were at this past weekend.

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-23 2:33 pm   Permalink

I was taught by a friend who grew up on a citrus farm how to pick limes, no matter what the season is.

First off, forget about color. What you're really looking for is the skin texture. Only pick limes that are smooth with little to no texture. Don't go for the biggest or the prettiest, just go for the smoothest. He said this means thin skin and more/better juice, and I've found that he's right.

His solution for when you couldn't find smooth limes?
Make a different drink.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-23 3:17 pm   Permalink

Smooth limes then? Thanks!

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-23 6:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-23 15:17, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
Smooth limes then? Thanks!

Smooth limes with relatively even color that have a slight springiness when squeezed.

Limes that are overly firm will probably be too dry, limes that feel squishy are probably well past their prime and or have been handled poorly.

The same is true for most citrus, so you can apply the same to oranges, grapefruit, and lemons.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-23 7:53 pm   Permalink

Here's a primer that I wrote on citrus for use in cocktails, if it might be if use to anyone:

http://cincinnaticocktails.com/2010/07/27/essential-cocktail-ingredients-citrus/

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-24 07:59 am   Permalink

Excellent little article... thanks for writing/posting it!
I keep my limes in the crisper, too, but didn't think to let them warm up before using.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-24 10:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-23 14:33, CucamongaChango wrote:
I was taught by a friend who grew up on a citrus farm how to pick limes, no matter what the season is.

First off, forget about color. What you're really looking for is the skin texture. Only pick limes that are smooth with little to no texture. Don't go for the biggest or the prettiest, just go for the smoothest. He said this means thin skin and more/better juice, and I've found that he's right.

EXACTLY right. It also helps to squeeze it properly. If you use a reaming sort of juicer (electric or handheld) you are only extracting the juice. You also need to press the lime half somehow to extract the oils from the peel. Those juicers which turn the lime half "inside out" are the best for this. I also deeply score the lime in a cross pattern to maximize juice yield.

HTH someone!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation