FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Kamuualii - The Amazing Pre-Tiki Tiki of The Royal Hawaiian Hotel
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Kamuualii - The Amazing Pre-Tiki Tiki of The Royal Hawaiian Hotel
martian-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 10:56 pm   Permalink

what is the story of its senseless destruction

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 12:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-31 22:56, martian-tiki wrote:
what is the story of its senseless destruction

From Page 1 of this thread...
Quote:

By 2008, the statue was un-covered by the groundskeepers and I took great pride in showing it and shooting it with visitors. In 2009, I heard about the renovation of the hotel and wondered if it would survive. It did not.

I DO have a story (heard second hand from an employee who was a witness at the time) about this event to share sometime in the future...

OK, I guess the future is now. I'm still reeling from the loss of the International Market Place. Well, the story I heard second hand went like this...

A day after the hotel reopened in 2010, I went to confirm that it was indeed gone. It was and all that remained was the stump and a foot. There were concrete shards everywhere. I started asking questions of the employees. Most, refused to provide any details. After all, they were still employed. One of the shop ladies told me to ask one of the maintanence workers. He passed me on to one of the grounds keeping crew. Finally, I started talking to one of the construction workers clearing some rubble on the other part of the property.

He told me he'd been there and was witness. The management had ordered the statue removed. They had always considered it an eyesore. The local workers on site refused to touch the statue, afraid of any bad luck that might be associated with it. Days passed and the statue still stood until the day before the grand opening. The powers that be were furious and issued a direct order that it be removed. Finally, a foreman from the construction company declared he was not afraid, wrecked it with a backhoe, and carted the remains to the dumpster.

Kinda what you expected, huh?

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2014-01-01 00:34 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 10:12 am   Permalink

While being no fan of senseless destruction of anything worthy, let me again put my head on the tiki chopping block and say we/it were unbelievably lucky that it remained in position and condition as long as it did. Really, what else were they to do with something that didn't fit in at all with the changing surroundings, looking way out of place if not in fact ugly with little to no purpose? That it was allowed to ever exist is surprising as it was about the least attractive tiki-esque figure ever seen, but those were different times/attitudes and the figure got away with being there infinitely longer than most truly good things that got the premature axe. Maybe it would have been nice if they would have merely moved it or saved it for whomever wanted it, or put it on ebay, but that just doesn't happen much in our world now. Be glad it lived to an old age, especially in tiki years, and that we have plenty of pictorial documentation.
But I do love that the hotel workers were not going to touch it, now THAT'S priceless!
Thanx for the research and update, Phillip. I hope we can respectfully bury this poor guy's spirit once and for all without too much sadness.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 10:17 am   Permalink

Thanks for the update. I would think that it could have been saved and moved to a museum or a private estate with just a few phone calls and free shipping. The dumpster bit is really sad.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 11:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

The local workers on site refused to touch the statue, afraid of any bad luck that might be associated with it. Days passed and the statue still stood until the day before the grand opening. The powers that be were furious and issued a direct order that it be removed. Finally, a foreman from the construction company declared he was not afraid, wrecked it with a backhoe, and carted the remains to the dumpster.

Apparently that foreman never watched the Brady Bunch! Deeedleleedleleee!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 8:55 pm   Permalink

ultimately the same sort of thing - albeit at different scales in multiple senses

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 6:06 pm   Permalink

Look's like our pal's brother was hanging out at The Moana...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-1942-large-wooden-carved-TIKI-at-Moana-Hotel-Hawaii-Photo-/390831579300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aff60a0a4

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 6:45 pm   Permalink

Nope. That's just a mislabeled auction. That building in the back is the Royal Hawaiian, btw.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 07:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2014-01-01 00:28, Phillip Roberts wrote:
A day after the hotel reopened in 2010, I went to confirm that it was indeed gone. It was and all that remained was the stump and a foot.

Mahalo for pointing out that bit of "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History" while it was still there.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 12:22 pm   Permalink

A few more photos of our Tiki from ebay.

A favorite with the servicemen.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 1:06 pm   Permalink

Large, free-standing Tiki statues were always a welcome photo op for tourists and restaurant visitors back in the day.
Thanks to the internet, these snapshots sometimes pop up and provide proof of otherwise lost artifacts.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation