FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Kamuualii - The Amazing Pre-Tiki Tiki of The Royal Hawaiian Hotel
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Kamuualii - The Amazing Pre-Tiki Tiki of The Royal Hawaiian Hotel
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-17 4:21 pm   Permalink

He definitely didn't look like wood.

This's some very nice collective archaeology work. Good job.

www.robbhamel.com

[ This Message was edited by: Robb Hamel 2010-12-17 16:24 ]

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-18 8:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-29 22:25, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
If you search for tiki postcards and photos on eBay for more than a few years you will probably eventually see an image of this fellow:

Another excellent post!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 11:25 pm   Permalink

Another view of the Royal Hawaiian Tiki.

There was a second one on the grounds.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 09:48 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Hmmm. That one looks like hapua fern.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 1:57 pm   Permalink

Yes, looks like fern wood to me too.

It also looks like it was carved by the same person who did these at the Waikiki Shopping District on Kalakaua Ave. Is the photo dated, DC?

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2011-10-11 13:58 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 3:14 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

The photos are dated 1954. The set also included another photo of the fern Tiki in front of the shopping center, also from 1954.

Sure looks to be the work of the same carver.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 11:53 pm   Permalink

DC - that 1954 date is awesome. It fits in nicely with other data I've been accumulating. However, looking at the photos closer, I'm wondering if the second tiki you have marked as on the grounds of the Royal Hawaiian, might not actually be the Kalakaua Ave shopping center tiki, just shot from the store-window side. Notice how the planter around the tiki's feet and the base look the same. In any case, it's a tiki by the mystery fernwood carver who was very active in Waikiki/Honolulu from around 1954-1957; just prior-to or at the same time Ed Brownlee started carving hardwood tikis in Hawaii. This fernwood carver's tikis share a lot of similar attributes:

DC's photo, dated 1954 and Hina Tiki, 1955 which was shipped to Honolulu Harry's in Chicago:

The two tikis on Kalakaua Ave, from a postcard postmarked 1955, (notice the headdress on the first is almost like a cigar-store indian's and how the tiki is a dead-ringer for the one in DC's black & white photo):

Tiki from Alex Stordahl's "Magic Islands Revisited" lp and a similar tiki from the 1957 University of Hawaii yearbook, (again notice the almost indian-style headdress):

And finally I would argue that the Tiki from Don The Beachcomber, Honolulu (1955) and the Trader Hall's tiki are also by the same carver, based on facial features and body styles:

As Bosko noted in another thread, this local carver really was making a name for himself at the time. I just wish we know what that name was. He's still a mystery.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2011-10-12 00:47 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-12 12:46 am   Permalink

Getting back on track, with DC's great 1954 photo of Kamuualii, the Shark God...

... I went through my postcard collection and spotted him again in the background of this classic 50's tourist card:

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-12 10:08 pm   Permalink

Nice Sabu, I'm going to have to find that postcard!

I don't think the picture of the second Tiki from the Royal Hawaiian could have been from the shopping center, as that arcade was located directly adjacent to the street.

I am guessing it may have been moved there.

Here are some more modern color photos of the the Royal Hawaiian Tiki.

DC

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-12 10:38 am   Permalink

aloha,

From a 1960's Paradise of the Pacific.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-12 14:00 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-20 11:02 am   Permalink

Time to bump this great thread with another photo of our Tiki hanging out with a lovely Hawaiian maiden.

DC

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-20 1:00 pm   Permalink

nice...

Btw, when I go tour with peeps and show them the stump, one of us has left a tiki figurine there...

Whom? Fess up...

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 5:33 pm   Permalink

DC - that's a great photo!

Here's another one:

This is the Bushnell family. The photo is dated Jan 19, 1968.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-14 08:13 am   Permalink

Another couple of tourist photos of our man.

People sure loved posing with that guy!

DC

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-14 10:20 am   Permalink

While lookin for him recently,
An employee asked me what I was looking for,
You should have seen his face when I said:
"FEET"

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation