FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Kamuualii - The Amazing Pre-Tiki Tiki of The Royal Hawaiian Hotel
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Kamuualii - The Amazing Pre-Tiki Tiki of The Royal Hawaiian Hotel
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-19 11:00 pm   Permalink

It baffles me (1) why the hotel wanted the statue removed, but not bother to remove the base ( don't get me wrong, I'm glad something remains for us to seek out there and remember it). The statue had a very long history at the hotel and was a popular photographic centerpiece with guests, and it doesn't appear they did anything with the space in the redesign that couldn't have incorporated the statue. Why not play up its historic spot at the hotel?
Ignorance is ghastly.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-21 02:21 am   Permalink

That's a great mug. How can I get one?

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-21 8:12 pm   Permalink

Wendy Cevola

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 04:16 am   Permalink

Now that I read the whole thread, I agree with Phillip that this ki'i (Hawaiian word for tiki, which simply means an image like a painting, statue, or photograph) is an image of a menehune or a Hawaiian version of a leprechaun. The hat, the mischievous grind and hand positioning and the revelation that it originally wore a loin cloth all points to a menehune image. I posit that the shark God name was something the Hotel (unofficially) made up for the tourist. They obviously didn't know what the statue was and they didn't think it as a real Hawaiian God ki'i or they would of respected it and saved it. I agree with their assessment because it doesn't have a Hawaiian god like likeness. Thus the Hotel management considered it an "eyesore". Nevertheless it was historical and meaningful and should of been saved. I'll double check this week with my friend at the Bishop museum on my theory.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2017-09-22 04:18 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 25 days ago; 08:27 am   Permalink

I get the feeling that the Royal Hawaiian should get in touch with Wendy about selling those mugs at the hotel as souvenirs! What a great mug!

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 7:29 pm   Permalink

Any chance somebody dumpster dived and walked away with a very heavy footless tiki? Sad to see anything with such history be destroyed. Cool thread, though. Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation