FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 9:12 pm   Permalink

Aloha, I thought I'd better start my creating Tiki thread and stop posting my "how to/in progress" stuff in the marketplace.

As you ceramic people know Glazing can be challenging and requires lots of testing. I decided to make some small pendants to test some glazing techniques and colors, since I'm new to all this ceramics stuff. They came out great and I'm out of control, I can't stop making pendants! I'm thinking I can make them into Christmas ornaments by adding a hook and a little red bow.

I started with a simple plaster mold of some caps to vitamin and make-up bottles/jars. then made "Blanks" with a little slip. I carved the blanks with my ceramics tools and made molds from these for the pendants.

I have 6 different tiki designs a skull and a Peace sign for my daughter.

I'm playing with painting on dark colors them wiping the glaze with a sponge, then adding a lighter color over the top. It's crazy because the glaze all looks red or gray, but it's actually really cool colors.

This box is scheduled to be fired in the next couple days (I don't have my own kiln...Yet!) I'll post photos when I get them back.

Now if I could only remember the glaze combinations so I could try them on some mugs!

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

[ This Message was edited by: MauiTiki 2011-01-24 20:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MauiTiki 2013-01-28 10:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MauiTiki 2013-02-19 20:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MauiTiki 2014-06-11 20:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MauiTiki 2014-08-13 14:48 ]

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-04 9:59 pm   Permalink

"Now if I could only remember the glaze combinations so I could try them on some mugs!"

That's the purpose of test tiles; try different things and WRITE THEM DOWN so you can reproduce them

Looks good MauiTiki

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-04 10:21 pm   Permalink

Hey MauiTiki thank you for sharing. One easy thing to do is buy an underglaze pencil. write the number on the back and in a binder to keep track of what you did. In your case they are gifts so maybe a photo and the number for your book. I love the pendants, they are terrific. I still don't know how Bai and now you do such perfect work. Wendy

PM me when you have some for sale

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-05 01:06 am   Permalink

I'd treat it like cocktails if you don't write it down before you drink it you'll never remember. Good luck and they look amazing can't wait to see the final cuts. BTW are you working on a medallion for a bar in Kona? Great works of art!!! Mad skillz.......

View Profile of Brice Send a personal message to Brice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-05 07:51 am   Permalink

WOW! Lookin' great! Love the diversity of the designs you've chosen, too

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-05 11:44 am   Permalink

For the second set of 60 pendants that will be fired this week I wrote down the color combinations of glazes I used. I bought a few more colors so I have more different color combinations. I did as many as three layers of colors. Now it will be fun to see if I can match all 60 pendants to my notes.

Wendy, I tried one of those ceramic pencils on some earlier stuff and it works great, but these will become gifts and we may sell some at BeachBumz's shop so I didn't want to write on them.

Bryce, I'd love to make some for Okolemaluna, do you have a "signature" tiki that I could design it after?

Croe, I tried some different designs with different techniques so I can see how the glaze works in deep spots, scratches and flat areas. If you look at a the red and green one in the lower center, it's just green glaze. It goes on red and stains the clay red, but when it's thick it melts to green in the kiln. I wiped this off with a sponge only leaving it thick in the cracks and grooves.

More photos to come!

www.stuckonmaui.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-18 9:40 pm   Permalink

Here are the results from the second firing. I wrote down notes of which glaze color combinations I used and numbered the photos so I can make a matching list on printouts.

I'm hoping I can sell them for $5 plus shipping. I need to find some of those padded envelopes and see how much shipping will cost.

Bumatay Style:

Marquesan Style:

Hawaiian Style:

Marquesan 2:

Hawaiian Smile:

Skulls:

www.stuckonmaui.com

[ This Message was edited by: MauiTiki 2014-08-13 14:48 ]

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-18 9:43 pm   Permalink

Got a bunch more ready to glaze, what colors do you like?

The kitchen table is filling up with projects...

What about Christmas ornaments?

www.stuckonmaui.com

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-18 10:23 pm   Permalink

When I first saw these I thought I was on VanTiki's posts

One of his coins

One of his tiles

Especially since he has a whole slew of coins that double as pendants.

Is this where you got your ideas from on some of your designs--they are pretty close in style so I was just curious.

[ This Message was edited by: leleliz 2010-10-18 22:27 ]

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-19 04:39 am   Permalink

Nice work! The skulls are very cool!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-19 06:00 am   Permalink

They all look good, would make great decorations for a tiki Chrirtmas tree. I would sandwich them between a couple of pieces of cardboard in the padded envelope for shipping.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-19 06:16 am   Permalink

Cool to see how the different designs look better in some glazes than others! & I LOVE the xmas ornament idea, too

IMHO, I like the designs in these colors.....
Marq - 7, 8, 9
Bumatay - ALL of them!
Hawaiian - 6, 8, 9
Skulls - 1, 4, 3
Woodgrain - 2, 4, 5, 9, 10

Happy glazing!!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-19 10:27 am   Permalink

Looking good. Nice designs, and nice colors.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-19 11:32 am   Permalink

Thanks for the feedback. I will order a couple more glaze colors today and hopefully fire another batch this weekend.

Hi Leleliz, Yeah I was inspired by VanTiki, I love his stuff! I had an art teacher that once said "Art inspires Art".
His are much larger and he uses press molds, mine are slip cast. His are Way better quality too, I'm just learning. I wanted to make one with a wood grain because it shows how the glaze works in cracks and seams, and the main purpose of all this was to test glaze combinations and techniques. I promise I wasn't looking at his when I made mine, but I was thinking of him.

Now it's time to try some of these glaze combination on mugs!
I'll keep you posted.

www.stuckonmaui.com

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-19 5:19 pm   Permalink

My favorite glazes for each are:
Bumatay #4 and #5
Marquesan #4 and #10
Hawaiian #6
Marquesan2 #1, #2, and #4
Hawaiian Smile #3 and #4
Wood grain #4 and #5
Skulls #2 and #8

What's with #4 it's almost always the best one. You've done a terrific job. My glaze tests are fit only for hanging on the wall. MadDogMike glues one of these tests to the top of each glaze jar then he's able to grab and use it without checking notes or a book (like yours truly).

Your work is impressive, thank you for sharing, I'll keep watching, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation