FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-19 5:57 pm   Permalink

Mee likey Marquesean #2 - 4 & 5 - And peace sign too!
all good!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-20 6:03 pm   Permalink

Me like them all!! Man you've been busy...
That Bumatay one is awesome though...

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-20 7:07 pm   Permalink

Maui, is there much difference between slip casting those pendants and press molding or sprig molding them? Seems like the slip cast ones would shrink a little more. Do you pour the excess slip out after 20-30 minutes so they are lighter?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-20 7:33 pm   Permalink

Mad Dog, I'm new to all this, plus I live on a rock in the middle of the ocean so have limited supplies and resources. I have slip, but not clay. I don't know anything about press molds or how to do it. I'm just experimenting and learning as I go. How do you get the clay out after you press it into the mold? How do you press it in all the way? I think I would need more exact molds. The slip is easy to clean up.

I don't pour out the excess slip, it all dries pretty quick. they are only 1/4 inch thick. I sand down the backside to make them smooth because the slip leaves the edges taller as it dries. The final pendants are about 1/8 inch thick and pretty lightweight.

yeah, the slip shrinks which makes them easy to get out of the mold. I don't have a problem with them shrinking a little.

-Rob

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-08 7:56 pm   Permalink

Wendy, your pendant is on the way, plus I sent you an unglazed one for you to glaze yourself! Have fun and post a photo! I also sent Gecko an unglazed one, so I'm excited to see what he does with it as well.

www.stuckonmaui.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-08 9:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-20 19:33, MauiTiki wrote:
Mad Dog, I'm new to all this, plus I live on a rock in the middle of the ocean so have limited supplies and resources. I have slip, but not clay. I don't know anything about press molds or how to do it. I'm just experimenting and learning as I go. How do you get the clay out after you press it into the mold? How do you press it in all the way? I think I would need more exact molds. The slip is easy to clean up.

I don't pour out the excess slip, it all dries pretty quick. they are only 1/4 inch thick. I sand down the backside to make them smooth because the slip leaves the edges taller as it dries. The final pendants are about 1/8 inch thick and pretty lightweight.

yeah, the slip shrinks which makes them easy to get out of the mold. I don't have a problem with them shrinking a little.

-Rob

Rob, sorry I missed your reply and question

The mold you are using for slip would probably also work as a press mold too. You just stuff the mold full of clay and use a straight edge of some sort to scrape off the excess clay. It shrinks as it dries too and the molded piece pops out.

If clay were available, it would probably be a little cheaper than slip but otherwise there is very little difference. I would imagine that the slip shrinks a little more just because it has a higher water content

Again, it probably doesn't make much difference at 1/4 inch thick, but you could probably dump the center out of the wet clay after about 10 or 15 minutes. It would make the back concave and a little little lighter. The advantage of a slip casting mold is that the slip forms a skin starting on the outside (plaster contact area) and the inside can be poured out. It doesn't have much bearing in this application but it's the MAGIC in mug making because you end up with even thickness walls on your mug. Have fun!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-08 21:25, MadDogMike wrote:

Rob, sorry I missed your reply and question

The mold you are using for slip would probably also work as a press mold too. You just stuff the mold full of clay and use a straight edge of some sort to scrape off the excess clay. It shrinks as it dries too and the molded piece pops out.

If clay were available, it would probably be a little cheaper than slip but otherwise there is very little difference. I would imagine that the slip shrinks a little more just because it has a higher water content

Again, it probably doesn't make much difference at 1/4 inch thick, but you could probably dump the center out of the wet clay after about 10 or 15 minutes. It would make the back concave and a little little lighter. The advantage of a slip casting mold is that the slip forms a skin starting on the outside (plaster contact area) and the inside can be poured out. It doesn't have much bearing in this application but it's the MAGIC in mug making because you end up with even thickness walls on your mug. Have fun!

Thanks Mike, I have discovered I can get clay at the local community college. I have some "hand-me-down" clay that I use when making my tiki mug molds, but it's pretty hard and dirty from being used over and over. I should pick some up and give the press mold thing a try. I'll probably need to create a few new designs.

I'm hoping to get some of my pendants up for sale on my website soon.

Aloha, Rob

www.stuckonmaui.com

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-09 11:13 am   Permalink

Rob, I took a ceramics class at my local community college a few semester back and it was a quick introduction to techniques that would have taken me a long time to discover on my own. Also gives you local contacts for supplies, advice, perhaps a larger kiln to use. It was a great investment for me.

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 11:31 am   Permalink

Mike, my community college does have ceramics classes, but they are mid day and I have a 9-5 job. I've looked into it. There was a local ceramics studio offering adult classes, but they closed a week before my scheduled class was to begin. I've hooked up with a local artist who is showing me the ropes, but the process is slow.

Next time you are in Maui I'll take you to lunch and we can talk ceramics!!

-Rob

www.stuckonmaui.com

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 7:44 pm   Permalink

Hi Rob, thank you so much for your gift. When I glaze in the future I will post again. Right now I wanted to post a couple of photos. One with the Islander mug and then where the pendant will hang unless being worn. I love it, good job. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 8:05 pm   Permalink

Awesome to see the "Fish Face" as part of your collection!

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-13 1:05 pm   Permalink

I put a few of the Bumatay style pendants up on my site. only $6.

Christmas Ornaments too... 5 for $20

Get them before they're gone...
http://www.mauitikitours.com/postcards.html

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers www.stuckonmaui.com

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-22 7:39 pm   Permalink

Here is the pendant that Wendy glazed herself, she posted it in another thread, but it fits better here...

That's one crazy lipstick wearing Bumatay! great Job Wendy. I'm sure Dan Loves it.

www.stuckonmaui.com

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-23 5:14 pm   Permalink

That's about what I look like after sucken'um up all night..... ssshhhhh on the lipstick....

[ This Message was edited by: Beachbumz 2010-11-23 17:16 ]

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-06 7:54 pm   Permalink

I got to put some of the glaze testing to good use on some bowls I'm making for Okolemaluna Tiki Lounge on the Big Island.

These three ore off to the Big Island Tomorrow. Be sure to order the "Drink for Two" in one of them next time you visit the Big Island!

www.stuckonmaui.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation