FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-16 08:38 am   Permalink

I love the bowl. The glaze in the second photo is my favorite. How can I get one of those for Dan?

I didn't even think of lipstick when I did the Bumatay but now that you mention it...Dan did grab it and it's in his collection.

Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-16 09:48 am   Permalink

Maui, I missed those bowls when you posted them - very nice! The 2nd one is my favorite too.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-16 11:00 am   Permalink

Thanks, Wendy and Mike

The bowls continue to get better as I get better at making them. I re-did the mold for the triangle bowl, because the first few were a couple ounces too small. The mold came out much better than my first one. I used foam core, rulers, computer printouts and an exacto knife to make it perfect. The first bowl mold was made from a clay master. So these latest 3 are much nicer and a little larger.

I have one that had a post crack at the joint during bisque firing, that I have repaired and will keep for myself. Haven't glazed it yet. The rest have gone to Okolemaluna. These are too much work to put out there for sale, but I may do a couple special orders and may make one for my buddy eBay.

We'll see how much time I get off for the holidays.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-24 7:59 pm   Permalink

all my glaze testing has paid off. Got these 4 out of the kiln yesterday!
I've finally gotten the "wood grain look" I've been after.

More photos in The Tiki Marketplace section. Where do I post this stuff I create then sell?? it probably needs to be here until I'm ready to sell it.

www.stuckonmaui.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-24 9:10 pm   Permalink

Great texturing and glazing.

Finished or in progress works can go here, stuff for sale can go in Marketplace. If you want you can create a thread in Gallery for all of your finished work.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-28 12:32 pm   Permalink

Love the finish on these (also the sculpts), you nailed the wood look!!! Any back shots??

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-28 12:49 pm   Permalink

Aloha TikiKirby,

I'm kind of stuck in the middle of two threads... Creating Tiki and Tiki Marketplace. Soon I'll need to start a gallery thread too. You can see more photos in my Tiki Marketplace thread.

BeachBumz and I were working until after 10:00pm last night on glazing of 7 more mugs. Hopefully we will fire them tonight and have more photos this weekend.

I've been watching your progress on your mugs and love your Mauna Loa designs. Will you be making molds and slip casting these designs?

I need to get one of your Kiln plugs for the guy who has been nice enough to fire my stuff for me. (I still don't have a kiln). That's a great idea.

www.stuckonmaui.com

TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-28 1:14 pm   Permalink

Aloha MauiTiki,

Mahalo for the heads up, I've been avoiding the marketplace until I settle in a new house (all my Tiki things are in storage at the moment)... They look great, both you and BB are doing some cool stuff, and you're in the middle of the south pacific (green with envy).. I'll definitely cast some Mauna Loa stuff, I may resculplt some to add more detail and hopefully do a few others, problem is I'm taking a class right now and I wanna focus and building and glazing as much as I can...

I think you may be confusing me (TikiKirby) and kirby with the kiln plug though, I haven't done one... You can call me Aaron if it makes it less confusing, sometimes people mix us up...

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-28 1:41 pm   Permalink

Actually I think it's MadDogMike making the kiln plugs. I saw our "vertical Test Glazes" and it reminded me of the kiln plugs.

I need to take a ceramics class, I'm just winging it as I go.

www.stuckonmaui.com

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 11:59 am   Permalink

Aloha Tiki People! Here are my latest 2 mugs (Carson with fingers!) that were fired along with BeachBumz 4 mugs. Beachbumz' mugs came out amazing. I'm sure he's posted photos in his thread already. It's so great to have someone to work with and try out glazes and ideas and get feedback from.

I think the next mugs I'll go a little thicker with the brown glaze and less gloss in the black. Fine tuning... I really need to get rolling with a new design, but I'm having too much fun with my new glaze techniques.

Gecko gave me the green light to create a "Big Puka" version. So that's next. Hopefully this week, then fire over the weekend!

www.stuckonmaui.com

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-01 1:20 pm   Permalink

Great glaze contrasts Maui!

I made a push mold for the kiln plugs and then just added the design to the front. PM me an address and I'll send you a blank wet one for free, you can make it into whatever you want then fire and glaze it.

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 7:52 pm   Permalink

These are your best so far! Looks like your starting to get comfortable with the glazes...Yay! I hate glazing ...I really do...

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-02 10:35 am   Permalink

Babalu... I love glazing... I hate sculpting. Maybe we need to work together, because you've got the sculpting down! I need some sculpting tips. I've got three sculpts underway. One with Sculpy, one with regular clay and another with the hard oil base clay (can't remember the name). I can't get comfortable with any of them. I need a class or something.

I love customizing the dry slip. maybe I need to make a slip-cast blank Mug and just customize that for my next mold.

Thanks for the positive comments!

www.stuckonmaui.com

[ This Message was edited by: MauiTiki 2011-02-02 10:39 ]

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-03 7:31 pm   Permalink

Since this IS the "Creating Tiki" thread, I though I'd post an "in progress" photo. This is my "Big Puka" mug in honor of my friend Gecko. I haven't decided weather to use a real puka shell, or add one with clay. I guess it really depends on if I can find a puka shell that fits the way I want it to. I'll post the finished mug in the next week or so.

Amazing... I have about 3 hours of customizing/clean-up into this already and about an hour more to go before bisque firing.

www.stuckonmaui.com

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-02-03 7:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-03 19:31, MauiTiki wrote:
Amazing... I have about 3 hours of customizing/clean-up into this already and about an hour more to go before bisque firing.

No "instant gratification" in doing ceramics.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation