FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Maui Tiki Ceramics - by TikiRob
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
Maui Tiki Ceramics - by TikiRob
tiki dan

Posted: 2016-03-31 12:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I wouldn't let the sculpt dry completely. We like to call it "Leather hard". They will be hard enough to cast but not bone dry and brittle.

Is there a way to keep it from drying out too quickly, or to keep it damp for an extended period without messing up the details? Otherwise I guess I will just make sure to have some plaster ready to go.

Quote:
Yes, you are correct, you could pour a bunch of mugs and clean them up. Let them dry and keep them in a safe place until you are ready to fire.

This is really good news.

Quote:
Shared kilns can be scary because you never know what others are firing along with yours...Just hope your neighbors art doesn't explode and ruin your mugs.

This is why I want to make enough mugs so that I can pretty much fill the kiln with my own stuff, or at least have a shelf of my own in there.

Quote:
Good luck!

Thanks I will make sure to document everything as I go.

View Profile of tiki dan Send a personal message to tiki dan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-31 12:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-31 12:30, tiki dan wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't let the sculpt dry completely. We like to call it "Leather hard". They will be hard enough to cast but not bone dry and brittle.

Is there a way to keep it from drying out too quickly, or to keep it damp for an extended period without messing up the details? Otherwise I guess I will just make sure to have some plaster ready to go.

Keep it in a plastic bag in a cool dark place (no sun) when you aren't actively working on it. it will be good. I sometimes spray mine with a spray bottle or put a damp rag in the bag with the sculpt.

Good luck, Post progress photos!

Follow me on Instagram @TikiRob
www.instagram.com/TikiRob
TikiRob Tiki Mugs www.TikiRob.com
Maui Web Design www.tradewindgraphics.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-03-31 11:44 pm   Permalink

Check ebay or Craigslist if you want to find a kiln. GROG's kiln came from searching Craigslist. Got it for $100. Husband and wife were moving to Hawaii, and couldn't take the kiln with them.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-01 11:55 am   Permalink

Hi Grog, I got my current kiln off Craig's list. Keep in mind I live on a rock in the middle of the ocean, so I can't drive to the next city to pick-up a used kiln. One comes up every few months, but usually they are trashed. My other problem is that I don't have a plug for a big kiln. I'd have to hire an electrician to install a new breaker and plug. It's not going to be easy for me. Someday!

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki dan

Posted: 2016-04-01 2:27 pm   Permalink

On CL here there an early 90s kiln nearby with digital controller for $500. Its a medium sized kiln, inside dim: 17.25"w x 22"h 10000 watt. If my mugs were 3 1/2" diameter, I could fit 20 max on two layers (though the bottom layer would lose a couple due to the posts. So this kiln could handle 38 mugs in a bisque fire (a few less for glazing) so we will call it 32 total. Doing some basic math, it looks like this would cost about $25-30 per bisque firing.

This would be a nice size from more of a medium production standpoint, but like MauiTiki, I need moar power!

The good part is, I'm already planning on upgrading to 200amp service this year, and I'm building a workshop/shed that will have its own 90amp box. For now though, I would rather find a small 120v kiln that I could run off of my current 100amp service one that could only do 6-8 mugs at a time. And it would be handy to keep around in the future for fixing glazing issues.

View Profile of tiki dan Send a personal message to tiki dan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-01 3:29 pm   Permalink

When you are just starting out, being able to fire 7-8 mugs at a time is perfect. You learn so much with each firing it's essential to fire a lot. If you have 20+ mugs in the kiln and they don't come out as you expected, it's devastating. If you have 3-4 come out bad, it's not so heartbreaking.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation