FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Meaning Good Health?
Tiki Meaning Good Health?
ccb_dan

Posted: 2010-10-05 11:55 am   Permalink

Hi all,

I'm new here and new to carving. My buddy (McTiki) got me into it recently and I have been really enjoying it. He helped me complete a 42" "Ku" style that I'm really proud of (I'll get some pics up soon).

Anyway, I have a couple of nice logs I want to dig into but I would like to do one for my sister who narrowly escaped death recently due to a devastating illness (Lupus). I'd like to do something that has a little meaning behind it, maybe something dealing with good health or something to that effect.

I did a little googling and found some info about "Tawhaki" who was apparently a Maori god of thunder, lightning and good health (seems like an odd combo). But I cannot find any likeness of him.

If anyone can help me figure out either what Tawhaki might look like (or even just a loose resemblance and I can stylize the rest) or maybe point me to a different deity/tiki that has similar meaning I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Dan

[ This Message was edited by: ccb_dan 2010-10-05 11:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ccb_dan 2010-10-05 11:58 ]

View Profile of ccb_dan Send a personal message to ccb_dan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-05 3:00 pm   Permalink

Tawhirimatea is the god of storms - I'm not sure where the other name you found came from but it's not one I'm familiar with, and it also seems incongruous that he would be associated with healing.
Rongo is the god most associated with healing in Maori culture, being the traditional god of crops and food, and the name has been adopted for Maori healing practice & medicine in modern times. I have seen some carved images of this god in museums but some are not very distinctive in detail as they were usually made from softer porous volcanic stone. These are often called "Kumara Gods" as they were placed in the gardens to ensure a successful crop. The Hawaiian counterpart to Rongo is Lono.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ccb_dan

Posted: 2010-10-05 4:19 pm   Permalink

Thank you very much!

View Profile of ccb_dan Send a personal message to ccb_dan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-05 5:26 pm   Permalink

I just got a tiki tattoo and asked the artist for the Hawaiian symbols of healing. He said sea turtles and the kava leaf. So, I incorporated the Hawaiian petrolyph for sea turtle into my tat.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-05 9:31 pm   Permalink

This might be of some help

http://www.mythichawaii.com/tiki-gods.htm

View Profile of Kino Send a personal message to Kino      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-06 03:56 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC Dan!

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-07 07:17 am   Permalink

Aloha, Dan! And all the best to your sis.
~Zero

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation