FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tiki Food Recipes
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tiki Food Recipes
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-09 08:16 am   Permalink

As I rummaged around the "Tiki Drinks and Food" threads, I found that some of them were a bit cluttered and some of them had a bit of...uh...tension going on.

Now, I am of two minds on this. On the one hand, just because you're a Tiki-ista, doesn't mean you can't enjoy Mexican or Bulgarian or East Elbonian food without losing your Tiki License. On the other hand, there are lots of other places where people can get information about BBQ or pasta, etc., but bloody few places where we can find information on Tiki food.

So I decided to do the Goldilocks thing. Start a couple of threads for people to post details exclusively on Tiki food (and I will NOT go down the rabbit hole of trying to define it ) so that those who seek such information can find it in an uncluttered way. This thread, for example, is all about posting individual recipes for particular Tiki foods. I've set up another one for people to post their links to articles and recipes for Tiki food. Other food related posts can go wherever else they normally go.

Sounds simple, friendly, clean and easy, right?

(Here's my first. Ahem.)

My default Huli-Huli Chicken is:

Chicken & Marinade:
2 qts. water
2 c. soy sauce (I prefer San-J reduced sodium, and NOT because it's reduced sodium!)
1 T. peanut oil
6 garlic cloves, minced as fine as your patience will allow
1 T. grated fresh ginger
2 chickens (about 8 pounds total) carved up as you see fit...halves, into quarters, etc.

Glaze:
18 oz. pineapple juice, fresh is best, from cartons is fine and from cans only if you are REALLY desperate and don't mind the taste of tin.
¼ c. packed light brown sugar
¼ c. soy sauce
¼ c. ketchup (I like Heinz Organic)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. grated fresh ginger
2 t. chili-garlic sauce

2 cups oak (or hickory) wood chips, soaked for as long as you can stand it, 15 min. at least

A- Marinate Chicken. Combine water and soy in a large bowl. Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir into soy sauce mixture. Add chicken and refrigerate, covered, for at least 1 hour or up to 12 (8, if you are using "regular" soy sauce).

B- Make Glaze. Combine pineapple juice, sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, ginger and chili-garlic sauce in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer until thick and syrupy (you should have about 1 cup), 20-25 minutes.

C- Prep Grill. Seal wood chips in foil packet and cut vent holes in top. Open bottom vents on grill. Light about 75 coals. When coals are covered with a fine gray ash, spread evenly over the bottom of the grill. Arrange foil packet directly on coals. Set cooking grate in place and heat, covered with lid vent open halfway, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 5 minutes. (For gas grill, place foil packet directly on primary burner. Heat all burners on high, covered, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 15 minutes. Turn all burners to medium-low.) Scrape and oil the grate. You can use the broiler, sans chips, if you absolutely had to.

D- Grill Chicken. Remove chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange skin side up on grill (do not place chicken directly above foil packet). Grill, covered, until chicken is well browned on bottom and meat registers 120 degrees, 25-30 minutes. Flip chicken skin side down and continue to grill, covered, until skin is well browned and crisp and thigh meat reaches 170 to 175 degrees, 20-25 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to platter, brush with half of the glaze, and let rest 5 minutes. Serve, passing remaining glaze at table.

Hope that helps!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-11 9:14 pm   Permalink

Hey jokeiii, how about posting that "oven fried" crab rangoon recipe you mentioned in the Tiki Food Sightings thread?

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-11 10:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-11 21:14, MauiRose wrote:
Hey jokeiii, how about posting that "oven fried" crab rangoon recipe you mentioned in the Tiki Food Sightings thread?

On it!

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2010-10-12 06:17 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 06:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-11 21:14, MauiRose wrote:

Here you go, because I live to benefit humanity:

Oven-fried Crab Rangoon

8 oz. neufchatel cheese, at room temp (you can use regular cream cheese, but I find all that butterfat dulls the delicate crab taste)
8 oz. crabmeat, drained well (get "backfin" crabmeat...the "lump" is really expensive and all those lovely nuggets of crabmeat will shred away anyway...do NOT get the stuff in the tuna can section)
4-5 scallions, VERY thinly sliced...you cannot slice them too thinly (you can also use chives)
2 garlic cloves, mashed into a fine paste
2 t. Worcestershire sauce (L&P, natch)
1 t. soy sauce (San-J low sodium)
2 dashes hot sauce (I like original Tabasco)
1 pkg. wonton skins (should be 48 of 'em)
¼ c. melted -- but not clarified! -- butter (you need the butter solids in order to get proper browning)

1 In a bowl, mix all ingredients except last two. GENTLY. You don't want to break down the cream cheese, otherwise it will be too runny.

2 OK. This part requires you to visualize. Put bown that tumbler of LH151 and pay attention. Put a wonton skin in front of you, in such away that it's in "diamond" mode and not in "square mode" that is, the bottom corner is pointing at you. Think of it as a baseball diamond. Place 1 t. crab filling JUST below the pitcher's mound.

3 Take a small (clean!) brush and moisten the edges of the wonton with water.

4 Fold the wonton in half to form triangle, pressing edges firmly with a fork to seal. Pat them down to get them reasonably flat. The less "domed" the better. Try to squeeze as much air out of these as possible. The steam from the filling will puff up the whole packet, and if there is any extra air, it could pop, oozing filling out onto the hot baking sheet and burning. Have you ever smelled burned crab? You don't want to.

5 Brush wontons with melted butter, lightly but evenly.

6 When you have assembled them all, arrange on baking sheet that has been buttered and preheated (this is key). You want the wontons to sizzle a bit when you put them on.

7 Bake in 425ºF/220ºC oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.

NOTE: When you set your oven's temperature the only thing I can guarantee is that it will NOT be the temperature you set. 90%+ of all ovens run colder (Like mine, by about 15 deg.) or hotter. Buy a cheapo oven thermometer -- why a cheapo thermometer is more accurate than an expensive appliance is a discussion for another time and place -- and adjust accordingly.

8 I like a chile-lime-hoisin sauce, but nonetheless these are delicious on their own.

(These can also be fried, if your cholesterol is just TOO low.)

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2010-10-12 06:34 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-12 08:24 am   Permalink

Here's the recipe for the classic Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers Very tasty!

Quote:

On 2004-07-31 11:51, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Since several people have been asking for this recipe, and since I've just finished making a huge batch for Doctor Z's party tonight, I guess it's about time I got around to posting it. Here is the secret recipe to:

Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers

1/2 cup apricot jam
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 heaping teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
wooden skewers

Combine all ingredients, except chicken and coconut (and skewers of course), in a saucepan and heat while stirring until boiling. Reduce heat to medium/low and allow marinade to reduce somewhat, (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Put chicken breasts in a pan and pour most of the marinade on top, saving a small portion in a container for later. Make sure both sides of the breasts are coated with the marinade and let pan sit in a refrigerator at least 2 hours (I leave mine overnight).

Toast the coconut on a baking sheet or shallow pan in a 350-degree oven, turning the coconut with a spatula periodically so that it is a light brown. (dark brown works too, so don't worry if it's overdone).

Grill chicken breasts until done but tender, brushing with the marinade in the pan. Slice breasts in thirds lengthwise. Skewer each strip on a wooden skewer and brush with the reserved marinade you had set-aside at the beginning. Roll in toasted coconut and serve on Ti Leaf. Makes 12 skewers.

You don't have to increase the marinade proportionately for larger quantities. For today's batch of 50 chicken breasts, I multiplied the above recipe by eight. I also used two 10 oz bags of shredded coconut.

Sabu

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 09:42 am   Permalink

Rock on. Was the curry powder hot/mild/medium?

Mahalo in advance,

Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 10:31 am   Permalink

I love this thread. Thank you!! BTW, we've been making Sabu's chicken skewers for about 5 years now. They're off the hook!

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 10:59 am   Permalink

Great link to some great traditional recipes already here on TC:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11974&forum=10

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-12 1:04 pm   Permalink

Jokeiii I used whatever curry powder I had in the cupboard, I'm sure you could tailor it to your preference.

CocoLoco, nice link

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 3:01 pm   Permalink

I'm thinking these skewers could also be done with shrimp, too.

MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 3:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting that, jokeiii. Perhaps someday you'll see my attempt on What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central.

[ This Message was edited by: MauiRose 2010-10-13 15:13 ]

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 6:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-11 18:57, jokeiii wrote:
Chris,

Be a pal and post the recipe in the recipe thread. Please?

Mahalo, etc.

Hi Kids! Here's that pupu platter rib recipe for jokeiii.

2 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon freshly grated peeled ginger
2 teaspoons chile paste
3 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup dark soy sauce (not Kikkoman style)
1/2 cup red currant jelly

Mix this all up in a bowl. Pour it over 2 racks of ribs and let marinate overnight.
Save the marinade and cook in your oven at 375 on a rack over a drip pan for 45 minutes, basting every ten.

Or cook on your grill like I did, basting the same.

Mahalo!
Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 8:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the Crab Rangoon recipe. I can't wait to suprise me lady with some home cookin' of one of her favorite dishes!

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-15 8:41 pm   Permalink

I hope this doesn't bring the wrath of the Tiki Police down on this thread but the Bengal BBQ is only 100 yards away from the Enchanted Tiki Room so hopefully I'm OK. Nice and SPICY!!!

Spicy Beef Skewers

Ingredients
1 c. Soy Sauce
1 1/2 c. Water
1 T. Ground Black Pepper
3 T. Sesame Seed Oil
1 t. Ground Red Pepper
1/2 t. Cayenne Pepper
1 T. Granulated Garlic
3 T. Cornstarch
18 1-oz. pieces Sirloin Beef Chunks
6 Bamboo Skewers

Preparation

Combine all of the ingredients above and bring to a boil, adding cornstarch to thicken. Soak the bamboo skewers in water to avoid burning. Place 3 pieces of beef on each skewer and cook on the grill 3 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Brush with sauce and serve.

EDIT - I was making this last night, had 5 pounds of meat to cook so I doubled the sauce recipe and ended up with WAY TO MUCH sauce. You could probaly cut this recipe in half if you're just making a pound or two of skewers.

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2011-11-22 18:07 ]

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-16 04:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-15 20:41, MadDogMike wrote:
I hope this doesn't bring the wrath of the Tiki Police down on this thread but the Bengal BBQ is only 100 yards away from the Enchanted Tiki Room so hopefully I'm OK.

To be 1000000000000% sure we're safe from the Tiki Police, you need to post the recipe for the Chieftain Chicken Skewers; with its (delicious) "Polynesian BBQ" sauce you'd be above suspicion for treasonous and anti-Tiki behavior. In fact, Kevin Kidney would probably custom-sculpt something to bop any benighted accusers over the head with.

Just sayin'.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2013-03-03 08:58 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation