FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tiki Food Recipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tiki Food Recipes
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 12:27 pm   Permalink

The Disneyland blog had a recipe for Zesty Firecracker Duck Wings which you can get at the Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge.
I think these would fit in nicely on a modern tiki/luau menu. If you disagree, I'm sorry in advance. I'm going to make the recipe this weekend with chicken.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/03/zesty-firecracker-duck-wings-from-carthay-circle-restaurant-and-lounge-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Fire Cracker Duck Wings
Serves 6-8

Wings
•1 teaspoon olive oil
•1 orange, zested (no white pith) and chopped
•1 cup yellow onion, coarsely chopped
•1 cup carrots, coarsely chopped
•1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
•1/2 cup brown sugar
•1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
•2 lemongrass stalks, tops and root-end trimmed and crushed with back of knife to release flavor
•2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
•2 tablespoons garlic, coarsely chopped
•2 red jalapeño peppers, cut in half lengthwise
•4-5 kaffir lime leaves
•2 cups soy sauce
•1 quart chicken stock
•3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
•Coarse salt and pepper to taste
•25 duck wings, tips removed and cut in half at joint

Tempura Batter
•2 cups flour
•3 cups cold seltzer water
•1 teaspoon coarse salt
•2 tablespoons cornstarch, more if needed

Wing Sauce
•1 cup butter
•1/4 cup soy sauce
•1/2 cup Sriracha hot chili sauce

For wings:

1.Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2.Place oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add orange zest toast for 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion, carrots, and celery, stirring until slightly caramelized. Add brown sugar and vinegar and reduce by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add lemongrass, ginger, garlic, jalapeños, lime leaves, and soy sauce. Reduce by half, about 4 to 5 minutes.
3.Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and add cilantro. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
4.Place duck wings in a single layer in large roasting pan. (Two pans might be needed depending on number of wings and size.) Pour liquid over wings, making sure meat is completely covered.
5.Cover pan with foil. Braise for 1 1/2 hours; check for tenderness and cook longer if necessary.
6.Remove wings from braising liquid and place in separate pan. Strain braising liquid, then pour over wings. Refrigerate until cooled.
For tempura batter:

1.Mix together flour, seltzer water, and coarse salt. Refrigerate until tread to use.
2.Reserve cornstarch for dredging wings.
For wing sauce:

1.Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat.
2.Add soy sauce and Sriracha, mixing thoroughly. Set aside and keep warm.
To serve:

1.Pat wings dry. Dredge in tempura batter, then roll in small amount of cornstarch. Add more cornstarch if necessary.
2.Prepare deep fryer, including oil amount, according to machine instructions. Place coated wings one by one directly into fryer, with basket submerged in oil. Lift basket and shake occasionally to make sure wings don’t stick together. Fry until crispy, watching closely so as not to overcook. Remove from fryer and toss wings with warm sauce. Squeeze fresh lime over wings and keep warm until all wings are cooked.
3.Serve immediately.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 12:23 pm   Permalink

I do not disagree one tiny bit! Keep 'em coming! My only suggestion, for those of us who simply canNOT get red jalapeños, is to replace with Fresno chiles.

Thanks for posting this.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2013-06-11 12:26 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 1:04 pm   Permalink

I've never had those, but I want them.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 06:42 am   Permalink

I'm guessing those duck wings will also release a lot of drippings which might be:

a) repurposed for something else, or
b) used in the frying

Just a thought.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-26 10:07 pm   Permalink

Made some deep fried ribs for a Southern Style dinner. Seasoned and completely baked them, dipped them in egg, dredged them in seasoned flour, then deep fried them just long enough to cook the coating - about 3 to 5 minutes. They were good, but what does that have to do with Tiki food?

I glazed some leftover fried ribs in spicy orange sauce and they were DELICIOUS!!! I would have done some things differently if I had planned to use them as "Tiki" food; cut them in half for appitizers, season with Chinese Five Spice, and dredge in cornstarch instead of seasoned flour. Could glaze with spicy orange, sweet & sour, or char siu.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-27 06:44 am   Permalink

That sounds great MDM! I bet they would also be great if you smoked them first, then breaded/fried/glazed.

Yum!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 11:17 pm   Permalink

If you want authentic tiki style fried ribs (Pipi Kaula) it is actually pretty easy yet can be somewhat unnerving to some in how you prepare them.

You take beef short ribs, cut them up recs will explain it better), give them a dunk in a soy based marinade, then let them hang/dry in the air for hours up to a day before frying them.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-12 1:15 pm   Permalink

Had dinner at the Tonga Hut Palm Springs on Saturday, you should go as soon as you get a chance. I ordered Chef Sherman Chan's Kalua Pork - I expected shredded pork as it is usually served, but was surprised to get a couple of large chunks instead. It was delicious, tender and juicy with just enough sweetness in the glaze and a hint of Chinese Five Spice. I decided to try an "inspired" version. I took a 4 pound pork loin and cut it into 8 portions. I dropped it in the Crock Pot on low for 10 hours with a bottle of Spicy Hawaiian Mango marinade. Then I carefully pulled the braised chunks out and placed them on a cookie sheet. I sprinkled a little Five Spice on and brushed them with bottled Honey Teriyaki, stuck them in a 350 oven until the glaze started to caramelize (about 10-15 minutes) and then garnished them with a little toasted sesame seed.

Turned out excellent (not as good as the Tonga Hut of course ) Elegant and very easy, total hand-on time was probably only 15 minute, a nice addition to the Tiki Food repertoire

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tele295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 11:53 am   Permalink

Not quite sure where or why I ran across this recipe, but this what's cooking up right now!

SWEET HAWAIIAN CROCK-POT CHICKEN

2 lb. Chicken tenderloin chunks
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce

Combine all together, cook on low in Crock-pot 6-8 hours...that's it! Done! Serve with brown rice and you have a complete, easy meal!!

[ This Message was edited by: Tele295 2014-03-25 11:53 ]

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-25 4:56 pm   Permalink

Oh that looks really good. It would go well with the Spam Fried Rice I'm making right now

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 5:09 pm   Permalink

That SWEET HAWAIIAN CROCK-POT CHICKEN does sound good, I might just add some fresh Ginger
to the recipe and give it a try, it has been a long time since I did anything so simple.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tele295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 7:24 pm   Permalink

I'll top it with some shredded coconut too

When I make it again, I might experiment with some Chinese 5-spice

[ This Message was edited by: Tele295 2014-03-25 19:25 ]

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 7:30 pm   Permalink

Ohhh, the crock pot chicken does sound good. I'm thinking instead of just pineapple juice, use some fresh pineapple chunks and a touch of ginger (maybe some 5-spice). I just can't leave a recipe alone. HAHA

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 7:39 pm   Permalink

And a dash of Sesame oil & Hot Garlic paste, me thinks.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 8:09 pm   Permalink

That chicken pictured doesn't look like it would be the result of your recipe though since it appears to be fried like chicken karage.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation