FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ Tiki Food Recipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tiki Food Recipes
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-01 8:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Porpoise and MadDogMike,

I started a thread for a Don's Mix-inspired dessert when I was young and brash (two weeks ago) but I've read through the whole grueling "What is Tiki?" thread since then and feel like a grizzled veteran who wants to live quietly and at peace. I'm really glad to see Faux is permitted. I'm excellent at Faux. Thanks for the advice.

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-01 8:33 pm   Permalink

Faux Polynesian is Real Tiki, Real Polynesian is only Quasi Tiki

By the way, I showed your five spice gingerbread recipe to my daughter and she's excited for us to try it. We may take the Sandra Lee "Semi-Home Made" approach and add five spice to a boxed gingerbread mix, hope that's not blasphemy

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-01 9:10 pm   Permalink

That made my day.

The box mix will work fine if it's the cake-y style and not the cookie style. The mix will already have ginger, cinnamon and possibly cloves or allspice, so you may need to adjust the amount of 5-spice to suit the familial preference. There: I talked about a food recipe on the food recipe thread, thus earning me some much-needed Tiki team player points.

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-02 11:19 am   Permalink

I really haven't seen much fussines over here at drinks/food, compared to the rest of the TC boards.

like Mike said, just do a search first to see if your intended topic already has an existing thread (unless you won't be troubled by the possibility of somebody complaining that the topic was discussed already for five minutes in 2004 or the like).

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-08 11:40 am   Permalink

Incidentally, here's something else that's cool, Tiki foodwise...

The good folks at America's Test Kitchen (i.e. Cook's Illustrated & Cook's Country) just aired an episode called "Tropical BBQ" and the two recipes they featured were Huli-Huli Chicken and Trader Vic's Chinese spare ribs! (With a little preamble on the whole Polynesian Pop thing.)

Here is a link to the video of the show:
http://www.cookscountry.com/videos/Tropical-Barbecue/31665/ and here is the recipe for Huli-Huli chicken (my only gripe is the use of canned pineapple juice...at least use the carton stuff, people!) http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Huli-Huli-Chicken/19722/ and here is the recipe for the spare ribs: http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Chinese-Style-Barbecued-Spareribs/24912/

Mucho mahalo for all the recipes posted!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-31 06:16 am   Permalink

Here's another gem from Food Network, Sam Choy's Luau:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/cooking-live/al-fresco-dining-hawaiian-luau/index.html

Recipes include:

No-Imu Kalua Pig
Seafood Laulau
Lomi Tomato Relish
Haupia
Kahuku Corn

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-04 09:25 am   Permalink

Two cool PDFs from Williams Sonoma with "Asian inspired" recipes, the latter also featuring some cocktails.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/wsimgs/rk/images/rcp-images/pdf/WSAsianCooking.pdf

and

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/wsimgs/rk/images/rcp-images/pdf/AsianParty2005.pdf

Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 10:13 am   Permalink

Well, shoot, Iíve been browsing around digging on the collected works of Bamboo Ben, Grog, MadDog Mike and others (many others) and now I feel the need to contribute something once again. For your consideration: 2-Tone Mussels. This is drop-dead easy, really tasty and not very expensive plus you end up with a nice mid-century color palate of coral and pale green.

2-Tone Mussels
Twenty-four cooked New Zealand GreenLip Mussels (I find them steamed and frozen on the half-shell [if I can getíem here in the Wastelands, you can probably find them, too].)
1 cup of mayonnaise, divided into two equal portions
1 Tbsp fake wasabi-in-a-tube
2 tsp granulated sugar
2 tsp lime juice
1 Tbsp sri racha sauce

Let the mussels thaw a bit, if frozen. Gently lift the flesh off of the adductor, then set them back down. This makes them more forkable.

Pre-heat your broiler.

Mix one dose of mayo with the fake wasabi (if you can get real wasabi a.) I envy you and b.) please donít use it in this), sugar and lime juice. Mix the other dose with the sri racha. Customize this as you wish according to your spice level.

Put a dollop of mayo on each mussel. I like to put the wasabi mayo on the orange ones (the females) and the sri racha mayo on the beige (the males). Broil them 4-6 inches from the heat until they are bubbly and start to brown, around four minutes.

Serve them, and this is the hardest part, coral-green-coral-green-etc.

Itís a nice little appetizer, looks good on a plate and can be be readied beforehand so you can hang out with your party.

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-30 4:18 pm   Permalink

A food thread? that's new, or is it?

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34873&forum=6&start=1395&1407

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 5:23 pm   Permalink

My researches show the thread to be about a year old. It's a young, innocent thread and the essay I'm about to inflict upon it ("Professor G in . . . The Rumaki Files) is happening through no fault of its own.

This may seem a bit long-winded for an appetizer that hasnít been chic since the early sixties, but, while Iíve seen a few discussions and fewer recipes (It ainít rumaki if you use scallops or mushrooms, itís just bacon-wrapped scallops or mushrooms.) Iíve not seen rumaki handled with the kind of maniacal obsession I like to see in my fellow T. Centralites.

I donít think you can discuss Tiki Cuisine without addressing rumaki. Like many Tiki creations, both Trader Vic (the Spring Roll Theory) and Don the Beachcomber (the Polynesian Songbird Theory) are credited with (or implicated in) its creation. I personally buy the story that Don Beach came up with the dish to squeeze some kind of profit out of the chicken livers he had to buy because thatís really how chefs and restaurant owners think and also because I trust BeachBum Berry a lot more than I trust Wikipedia. I wouldnít be surprised to find some of the British ďdevil-on-horsebackĒ DNA in rumaki, either, but I canít prove it . . .yet.

You donít see rumaki too often, although it does make a mini-comeback every now and again, and itís thought of, by those whoíve heard of it, as a bit of a novelty. During its heyday, however, it was an insanely popular appetizer. Mid-century Americans were friends of the liver in a way we currently are not. For example, behold this buffet centerpiece from a Betty Crocker cookbook: if it looks to you like a hunk of liver sausage shaped like a pineapple and decorated with chaud-froid, olive slices, and a real pineapple top, your vision checks out.

I personally wonder what happened to the rest of the pineapple, but itís not really any of my business. The point is, festive people in the fifties dug the organ meats. At that time, frugal cooks bought whole chickens and had to figure out how to use whole chickens; also, if theyíd ever heard the word cholesterol, they thought it was the name of a Soviet general. Most people now donít like liver, and do fear cholesterol (but not Soviet generals). Regardless, rumaki is good and three or four, which is plenty, wonít hurt you.

Like the best known Tiki drinks, rumaki strikes all over the palate: it is bitter, sweet, salty, spicy, rich and crunchy all in one mouthful. Iím going to serve it with two sauces: soy and a sri racha aioli.

This first effort is based on the recipe in Taboo Table, which is pretty standard and quite likely to be in the libraries of my intended audience (you). Iíve replaced the sherry with mirin and the pepper sauce with a sri racha; in other words, Iíve replaced the sweet wine with sweet wine and the hot sauce with hot sauce. In the culinary industry, thatís what we call originality. My selections wouldnít have been readily available, mid-century, but I prefer them in the dish. Iíve also deleted the ground ginger option because I donít want you to use it.

Professorís Rumaki #1
12 large chicken livers, halved
4 oz can water chestnuts, drained and halved
12 slices bacon, halved crosswise (not maple)
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin
1 tsp sri racha
1 crushed garlic clove
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped

Fold each liver piece around a water chestnut piece; wrap them up in a half-slice of bacon (really . . . no maple) and secure each thing with a toothpick.

Mix the remaining ingredients.

Marinate the rumaki in the mixture for at least three hours and as long as overnight.

Broil the rumaki until the bacon is crisp (5-6 minutes); flip the rumaki about halfway through, and spin your pan, to ensure even cooking.

Following this recipe, the photo above is what I got.

It all worked. The times, temperature and measurements were all sound. Next time, Iíll quick freeze the livers individually to facilitate handling. I will grill them, because the industrial vent hoods Iím used to at work are not present in my home kitchen. I will marinate them overnight rather than three hours.
Rumaki is not for the timid. It is rich and full flavored and three is about all you need in a portion. It will stand up to any beverage or sauce you pair it with which makes it a useful party/luau starter. In spite of it being a little difficult to assemble, I recommend it.

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 6:54 pm   Permalink

While I am one of those Liver haters, you done real good Professor G
with your post, it has flavor with just an aftertaste of humor, very nice.

I applaud you with all my appendages!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-06 7:43 pm   Permalink

While I ate my share of chicken (and beef) livers in the 60s, I'm not a fan either. But anything is better with bacon - if I were at your house for dinner (hint, hint ) I would try one if offered to me

Beautifully prepared dish and beautifully written food post.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 8:37 pm   Permalink

As a fan of Liverwurst/Braunschweiger, and occasional partaker of other gastronomic vehicles for innards such as Steak & Kidney Pie and Haggis, I would have to say that I would give Rumaki a taste.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 11:07 pm   Permalink

I'm a liver lover (chicken anyway, not so fond of the beef) and I'm disappointed that most grocery stores don't seem to stock them anymore. I made rumaki once for a party and I thought people would be appalled (times being what they are), but they fell on them and they were gone in minutes. Thanks for the recipe Professor G., I'll give it a whirl.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-07 06:00 am   Permalink

Many thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed the project very much and I got to eat my homework. I plan to continue working on some of the classic recipes and posting the results here.

Someday, MDM, I'm going to have to break out of the Wastelands and go west on a wild cooking spree because there are so many T.C.ers I'd enjoy cooking for. And CTIT, I will have innard-free options on the menu. S.D. Tiki, your find of the old menus on-line has been a big help. Bear, if you like liverwurst, you'll dig the rumaki.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation