FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tiki Food Recipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tiki Food Recipes
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-14 3:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-14 14:23, jokeiii wrote:
Tuna Poke

That sounds really tasty. I just bought a nice piece of tuna for sushi but I may have to give that a try too. My evil side (probably the majority ) is pushing me to pair it with this drink...

Macaque
1 1/2 oz gold Virgin Islands rum
3/4 oz creme de banana
1 oz white grapefruit juice
1/2 oz coconut cream
2 dash angostura bitters

Shake with ice and pour unstrained into a wine goblet. Garnish with powdered cinnamon and toasted coconut flakes.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-14 6:23 pm   Permalink

It's pretty idiotproof. The only catch is the sushi-grade tuna. Even the sambal could be bought online or made at hone in a pinch. If you're going to serve it buffet style, just keep it very cold.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-15 07:20 am   Permalink

The tuna is no problem. We don't do sushi at the restaurant where I cook but one of our suppliers carries sushi grade seafood and I order stuff through them somewhat frequently for myself. The pairing of "tuna poke" and "macaque" wasn't serious, just a bit of juvenile humor.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-15 12:46 pm   Permalink

I disregarded the juvenile part to focus on whether I had the ingredients on hand!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-09 06:56 am   Permalink

Another Tiki-able recipe, to help cushion your system from all the cocktails...

Sesame Noodles

Coarse (sea or Kosher) salt
1 lb egg spaghetti or Chinese egg noodles (regular spaghetti will do, and whole wheat spaghetti is an interesting variation...after all, this is not meant to be an authentic Asian dish. My choices, in order, would be the Chinese noodles followed by the whole-wheat spaghetti.)
½ T toasted sesame oil
1½ T peanut oil
1 garlic clove, peeled
1" fresh ginger, ditto
½ c smooth peanut butter (go all natural, if possible...Costco makes a good one) at room temperature, this is key
¼ c soy sauce (I like San-J reduced sodium, and not because of the reduced sodium)
2 T dark brown sugar (light brown will be okay, I guess)
1 T rice vinegar
¾ t red pepper flakes (sriracha or chili-garlic paste will work)
¼ c hot -- not boiling -- water
1 small cucumber (I like Kirby) halved lengthwise and sliced
1 c shredded or cubed cooked chicken (ideal use for leftover chicken)
6 scallions (white and green parts), sliced as thinly as you patience permits, diagonally.
¼ c plain roasted peanuts, crushed (crushed cashews will also work, as will any variant of sesame seed if you're not in a crushing mood)
OPTIONAL - A bit of julienned carrot or red bell pepper would not go amiss.

Put a large pot of water to boil over high heat. When it boils, salt it generously (I eyeball a healthy palmful), add the pasta you're using, and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. REMEMBER the cooking times will be materially shorted if you're using fresh egg anything. Drain and rinse under cold running water, until the noodles are room temperature. You do NOT want to sauce up hot needles, because they will absorb all the sauce, and you will end up with a very pasty/gummy/cemented-together result. The idea is for the sauce to cling to, not be absorbed by, the pasta. Put the pasta in a large bowl and toss with the peanut & sesame oils. (You CAN go straight sesame oil, but it is VERY strong. I like a 3:1 ratio of peanut : sesame...you do whatever.)

In a blender (or small food processor) put the garlic and ginger with the blade spinning then add the peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and red pepper. Process until smooth, then -- with the machine running --slowly add the hot water. (You may NOT have to add all the water, you just want the sauce to be the right thickness to cling to the pasta.)

Toss the pasta with peanut sauce, cucumber, chicken, white and light green scallions, and garnish with the dark green parts of the scallions and the peanuts.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2012-05-09 07:11 ]

zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 5:25 pm   Permalink

Our own Professor G has a site http://www.docs-atomic-diner.com/ and tonight's dinner was his Shrimp and Mushrooms in Spicy Coconut Sauce. My supermarket didn't have Crimini mushrooms so I substituted Shitake. This is a great dish and somewhat similar to the Thai Chicken/Shrimp dish my wife enjoys at Mai Kai.

My wife had hers over white rice and I had pasta. Great dish!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fallenstar
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-13 06:20 am   Permalink

As an FYI, Crimini mushrooms are often called Baby Portabella.

View Profile of Fallenstar Send a personal message to Fallenstar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 04:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-13 06:20, Fallenstar wrote:
As an FYI, Crimini mushrooms are often called Baby Portabella.

Ah. Then they did have them!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 3:13 pm   Permalink

Those shiitakes looked great, though. They're not quite as absorbent as the criminis. Portobellos are mature criminis, and taste nice in the spicy coconut sauce, but you have to scrape out the gills or they turn the sauce a sort of grayish-brownish-pinkish that is less than appealing.

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 02:31 am   Permalink

Here is another Tiki food classic, Trader Vic's Bongo-Bongo soup:

10oz frozen spinach, partially thawed (I usually steam my own spinach and then freeze it so it stays BRIGHT green, but that's just my being obsessive)
6 oysters, shucked with their juice
2 t clam juice (bottled is fine)
1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
White pepper to taste (black is OK, but will mar the look)
4 c half & half (try not to get anything ultra-pasteurized)
1 T butter
2 T A-1 steak sauce (if you're a steak sauce kind of person, try to get a mini bottle if possible)
½ t Tabasco (original)
½ t Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
Fine sea salt, to taste
½ t cornstarch
3 T heavy cream, chilled

Put oysters and their juice, clam juice, garlic, and pepper to taste into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, add spinach, breaking up spinach with the back of a spoon, and simmer until JUST thawed, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a blender and purée until very smooth. Set this aside.

Preheat broiler. Whip cream to the "soft peaks" stage. Bring half & half to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in butter -- you don't want the butter to separate -- and return to a simmer. Add A-1, Tabasco, L&P, and salt to taste. Dissolve cornstarch in 1 T water, then whisk into soup. Add then spinach–oyster purée and warm over lowest heat. You really want to NOT overcook the spinach, to keep it as green as popssible. If the soup is olive colored, you blew it.

Divide soup between 4 shallow heatproof soup bowls and put a big glob of whipped cream on top of each. Place bowls of soup under broiler -- a kitchen torch will work also -- to brown cream, then serve soup immediately

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-29 9:36 pm   Permalink

Here's my version of Asian Chicken Salad.

Ingredients
½ c rice vinegar
½ c soy sauce
¼-½ c hoisin sauce, to taste (I usually split-the-difference)
1½ T fresh ginger, grated or minced
¼ c sesame oil (or 50:50 peanut & sesame oils if the latter is too strong)
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or, equivalent in leftover chicken)
Salt and black pepper, to taste
½ Napa cabbage, sliced into shreds as finely as your patience will allow
1 red (any non-green will do) bell pepper, cut in half and thinly sliced
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on diagonal
1 c chow mein noodles

Instructions
1. Whisk vinegar, 3 T soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, and sesame oil together in medium bowl. Place chicken in single layer in Dutch oven. Pour ½ c marinade over chicken breasts; reserve remaining vinegar mixture to use as dressing. Add, marinade, remaining soy sauce and 3 cups water to pot. Bring to simmer and poach chicken until cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. (Skip this if you have leftover chicken, although it won't taste quite the same. You can also use shrimp -- think 31-40s -- but the cooking times will be shorter, natch.)

2. Remove the chicken and refrigerate until cool enough to handle. Shred or chop chicken into "half of bite sized" pieces.

3. Put the chicken into your serving bowl, toss with 2 T dressing (throw a bit more soy sauce if you're starting with leftover chicken), and season with salt and pepper. Add cabbage, bell pepper, green onion, and remaining dressing and toss until well-dressed. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles and serve.

OPTIONS: You can use peanuts, or fried wonton strips as the garnish. You can replace Napa cabbage with any sturdy lettuce or cabbage (a little red cabbage looks nice in any case) or you can use shredded carrot instead of bell pepper.

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-02 4:50 pm   Permalink

Had this yesterday for dinner. HUGE hit.

Kung Pao Shrimp

1 pound shrimp (I like "31-40" size, peeled and deveined)
1 T dry sherry or rice (siao xing) wine. I go for dry sherry
2 t soy sauce (I like San-J Low Sodium)
1 T fresh garlic, mashed or pressed in a garlic press
2 t fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about a ½" piece)
3 T peanut oil
½ c roasted unsalted peanuts or cashews
6 small whole dried red chiles (each about 1¾" to 2" long) – 3 of the chiles hand crumbled (more traditional), OR 1 t dried red pepper flakes (wa-a-a-ay easier)
¾ c shrimp stock (if you try this with chicken, then use – duh – chicken stock) or bottled clam juice if you must
2 t "black" (more authentic) or plain (easier to find) rice vinegar. I use the plain and add a teeny bit of "dark" soy sauce
2 t Asian sesame oil
1 T "oyster" sauce (get the one without any artificial ingredients)
1 T hoisin sauce
1½ t cornstarch
1 med. red bell pepper, cut into ½" dice
3 medium scallions, sliced thin and on the bias

1. Marinate shrimp with sherry and soy sauce in a bowl for +/-10 minutes. Mix garlic, ginger, and 1 T oil in another bowl; set aside. Mix peanuts and chiles in yet another bowl; set THAT aside. Mix stock, vinegar, sesame oil, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and cornstarch in a fourth bowl (a measuring cup will do); also set aside.

2. Heat 1 T oil in your wok (or 12" skillet) over high heat until the oil begins to smoke. Add shrimp and cook, making sure you stir every 5 seconds in the wok or 10 seconds in the skillet, until half cooked; add peanuts and chiles and continue cooking until shrimp are almost completely opaque and peanuts have darkened slightly. Take out this shrimp mix aside. Return pan to burner and reheat. Add remaining oil, and add red bell pepper; cook stirring until barely soft. Moke pepper to the sides of the pan and in the center, add the garlic-ginger mixture, flattening it, and fry until fragrant (just a few seconds) mix with peppers. Add stock mixture to skillet along with the shrimp, peanuts and chiles. Stir and deglaze the bottom of pan as you go, until sauce is the thickness of a light syrup. Throw in scallions; transfer to a warmed platter and serve immediately over plain rice.

Next time I make this, I'll remember to peel the tails off, because eating tail-on shrimp with chopsticks is kind of a pain!

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2012-06-02 16:56 ]

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-02 5:35 pm   Permalink

It's time to change this thread to "Chinese Food" recipes
now you know why I kept the Cooking Thread a general one.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-02 7:58 pm   Permalink

wow
im hungry

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-02 9:53 pm   Permalink

If one remembers . . . and I am old enough to remember . . . most of the "Tiki Establishments"
served Chinese-American ( pre Joyce Chen) food. It was the drinks that separated one from the other. So, "Tiki Food" was basically Chinese and the general public didn't know better.
That's why this thread has a definite "Chinese-food" feel to it and I feel is totally correct for the period: the 40's - 70's.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation