FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Tiki Food Recipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tiki Food Recipes
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-02 10:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-02 17:35, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
It's time to change this thread to "Chinese Food" recipes
now you know why I kept the Cooking Thread a general one.

Well, no.

MOST of the Tiki restaurant recipes were outright Chinese-American (usually Cantonese-American) standards. Don the Beachcomber's food certainly was. I'd say that with the exception of Trader Vic's almost all Tiki places featured mostly semi-Chinese food.

If you'll note, just on the immediately preceding (the 6th) page of the thread only one out (Kung Pao Shrimp) of four (Kung Pao Shrimp, Asian Chicken Salad, Bongo Bongo Soup, Sesame Noodles) is an authentic Chinese dish, the other three respectively being original to Wolfgang Puck, Trader Vic and Jean-Georges Vongerichten. But let me be generous to your assessment and grant you the Cold Sesame Noodles as being Chinese.

In the previous (5th) page, it was one out of five, on the page before that, zero out of four. Before that, 0-for-2, and previous to that, 0-for-3, and starting us off on Page One...0 out of 5 recipes were Chinese. For a total of three out of 23 recipes being Chinese.

But I'm not in an argumentative frame of mind, and anyone is welcome to add (which they have) whatever style of cuisine recipes they want. I certainly intend to add non-Chinese recipes (Thai Chile Beef, Lomi-Lomi Salmon, Trader Vic's Cheese Bings and Beef Negamaki all spring to mind) and hope others will do likewise.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2012-06-02 22:20 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-03 12:48 am   Permalink

Oh that's right you missed the great "Tiki Food War"
but no need to rehash that battle......what did get settled was there is no such thing as "Tiki Food"
Just did not want to take a step backwards is all.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-03 05:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-03 00:48, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Oh that's right you missed the great "Tiki Food War"[snip]

I was past the draft age!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 1:22 pm   Permalink

And now...something not even remotely Chinese!

Lomi Salmon

8 oz very clean salmon cut into " dice
c ripe tomato cut into " dice (if you feel all fancy, use equal parts red and yellow tomatoes)
c thinly sliced scallions (omit the part that is "dusty green") or finely diced red onions or equal parts of each
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 to 2 dashes hot pepper sauce (I like classic Tabasco)
2 T peanut oil
Coarse pink Hawaiian sea salt or any other coarse sea salt or kosher salt without any artificial ingredients
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste

In a glass bowl, put the salmon and season to taste with the sea salt (don't skimp on the salt) and pepper. Massage the salt into the salmon (this is key) and then add the tomatoes, scallions, lime juice, hot pepper sauce, and oil. The salmon should be well seasoned, and be prepared no longer than 15 minutes before serving.

Depending on how fussy/casual things are, your dicing/slicing can be more or less precise. If you have one with NON serrated blades (i.e., my smaller Braun, not my larger Cuisinart) you could even get away with CAREFULLY using a food processor.

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-23 2:53 pm   Permalink

I seek the collected wisdom of the assembled Tiki Foodie community.

One of the things I want to offer guests who drop by -- as opposed guests who are in for A Scheduled Event -- is some sort of bar snack that is both Tiki and a proper bar snack. I don't want plain ol' peanuts or pretzels. I (duh!) don't mind doing a bit of work to have some of this on hand, problem is that I'm not sure what "this" means.

I'm thinking some mix of nuts...but how to season them? Or maybe something else?

For THIS purpose, I really don't want anything that will have me sprinting from kitchen to bar. Just something that can be stored and served.

Thoughts?

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-24 8:35 pm   Permalink

Maybe a sort of "Chex Mix", made with wasabi peas, macadamia nuts, those soy sauce coated rice crackers, smoked and salted edamame soy beans, etc. And a big bag of fortune cookies.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-01 10:18 am   Permalink

Tiki Chex mix sounds good (except the wasabi, YUK! ) How about a dried tropical fruit mix for those with a sweet tooth?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 10:07 am   Permalink

I'm thinking that Tiki chex mix might work -- wasabi peas being picked-outable! -- and maybe wonton chips? I suppose a dried fruit mix might also be viable, but most bar snacks lean to the spicy/salty to get folks drinking some more.

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-03 06:24 am   Permalink

A cool link from the people at Cook's Country on approximating Kalua Pork:

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Hawaiian-Style-Smoked-Pork-Kalua-Pork-/30887/?Extcode=L2HN1AA00

(Hurry up and print it out, these links don't stay live forever...)

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 02:10 am   Permalink

Here's some new stuff I found that seems very Tiki-able over on the Food network site:

Asian Spice Rubbed Ribs with Pineapple-Ginger BBQ Sauce and Black and White Sesame Seeds
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/asian-spice-rubbed-ribs-with-pineapple-ginger-bbq-sauce-and-black-and-white-sesame-seeds-recipe/index.html

Chicken Yakitori
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/chicken-yakitori-recipe/index.html

Miso Glazed Grilled Eggplant
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/miso-glazed-grilled-japanese-eggplant-recipe/index.html

Coconut Marinated Pork Tenderloin
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/coconut-marinated-pork-tenderloin-recipe/index.html

Pork Shoulder Lettuce Wraps with Kimchee
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pork-shoulder-lettuce-wraps-with-kimchi-recipe/index.html

Crabs Steamed on the Grill in Ginger, Soy, Lime, Mirin and Soy
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/dungeness-crabs-steamed-on-the-grill-in-ginger-soy-lime-mirin-and-soy-recipe/index.html

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2013-03-03 02:12 ]

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 10:29 am   Permalink

Turns out my birthday will be on a Saturday this year and so, a Tikifest is to be held.

Any suggestions (in terms of a recipe/flavor combination, not decoration) for a Tiki cake?

Mahalo in advance.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 10:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-25 10:29, jokeiii wrote:
Turns out my birthday will be on a Saturday this year and so, a Tikifest is to be held.

Any suggestions (in terms of a recipe/flavor combination, not decoration) for a Tiki cake?

Mahalo in advance.

Banana cake with toasted coconut over a peanut butter cream icing.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 11:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-25 10:45, Hale Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-03-25 10:29, jokeiii wrote:

Mahalo in advance.

Banana cake with toasted coconut over a peanut butter cream icing.

Banana cake sounds good!

How about a rum cake with an orange glaze? You could sprinkle toasted, slivered almonds over it for a topper, add orange zest or even lime zest to the glaze. It would be a Mai-Tai cake.

I bet you could take base ingredients from any number of drink recipes and turn them into some sort of cake combination. I want some... with a side of rum please!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-25 2:10 pm   Permalink

It's been talked about on another TC thread, but the tiki cocktail cake would be my pick.
www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/tiki-cocktail-cake-recipe/index.html

This is another great loooking cake, although maybe a bit labor intensive for a party. Mango-Passionfruit Mousse wth Coconut Meringue and Almond Cake.

If you want to go casual cake pops are a good option.

Tiki torch cake pops

Obviously I like coconut and chocolate!

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-26 03:38 am   Permalink

Those all look amazing.

I made myself a giant sushi cake a few years ago, it isn't the one pictured below, but that's where I got the idea, except I used super thin slices of watermelon for the ginger. It was amazing.

I think this year, I may need to make a tiki mug cake now

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation