FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Lani Kai, New York City (SoHo), NY (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Lani Kai, New York City (SoHo), NY (bar)
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 10:51 am   Permalink

The Tasting Table NY newsletter said that Lani Kai is now serving lunch, plus happy hour from 4 p.m.-7 p.m. with bar snacks under $5 and drinks for $8.

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-21 06:32 am   Permalink

According to their Facebook page:

"After two wonderful and rewarding years we are deeply saddened to announce Lani Kai has been sold and is closed. Due to the demands of other existing business's and future projects we were not able to give Lani Kai the time and focus it, and our customers, deserve. We would like to thank a loyal and talented staff and everyone of you that came to enjoy our touch of paradise.

Aloha"

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-22 6:23 pm   Permalink

This is a shame. It was only a few blocks from my office so I used to meet people there for a drink quite often. Even last week, they made no mention of the closing. Anyone know the complete recipe of their "Bitter Wench"? It's an excellent drink. Here's how it was described in the menu:

the bitter wench
Bourbon, demerara rum, Elemakule Tiki Bitters and Angostura Bitters

PDF of the menu:
http://www.lanikainy.com/pdfs/LaniKai_Cocktail_Menu.pdf

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 4:37 pm   Permalink

Yes, apparently it was a huge surprise for everyone, possibly including the employees. One of our own TC members reported that he went on the Monday before closing, and it was business as usual. It happened to be one of the fantastic "Tiki Mondays" hosted by Brian Miller, where he and a guest bartender from local bars would serve up original and classic tiki libations, with happy hour prices for some drinks for the first hour. Oftentimes a liquor sponsor would throw in a pupu platter for guests to knosh on.

The next day it was simply shut down and closed. Some digging around revealed that it to become a lesbian bar, possibly by members of a lesbian reality show. What associations the bar has with the show I'm not sure. I read that they were selling items the following Saturday. I peeked around and they were only selling plants and the teak chairs used in the dining area. I didn't have any heart to buy anything. We were told that the nice "Lani Kai" hanging sign was to be resurfaced and reused for the new bar.

In retrospect, I'm not sure if Lani Kai was ever doing booming business. I heard that Fridays and Saturdays were very busy, but I've been there on a Friday and it wasn't that busy. To me, Brian Miller's Tiki Monday was by far the busiest time they had.

I've met a lot of great bartenders there, and seen them come and go at Lani Kai. I was glad to take and meet up with local and out of town TC members here. We had a lot of great drinks there. Tiki Mondays will be sorely missed around here in New York.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-25 10:28 pm   Permalink

sad face.
http://www.lanikainy.com/

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation