FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki Tops, Kaneohe, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Tops, Kaneohe, HI (restaurant)
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-11 5:29 pm   Permalink

Name:Tiki Tops
Type:restaurant
Street:
City:Kaneohe
State:HI
Zip:
Phone: 247-2128

Description:
Tiki Tops was one of the Spencecliff owned restaurants in Oahu. It was located in the Windward City Shopping Center in Kaneohe.

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2010-10-11 19:59 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 12:26 pm   Permalink

Chub,

What a great picture of the Tiki Tops Tiki and restaurant sign. Where did you find that? Nice post.

I have another matchbook that actually advertises a Tiki Bar at Tiki Tops. I'm thinking that this has to be one of the earlier references to a Tiki Bar.

Here is the cool architecture of the original Tops coffee shop, I wonder what the Tiki Tops building looked like??

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 2:13 pm   Permalink

A cool menu, indeed.
But I have always wondered how the artist arrived from that really cool Tiki statue to that misbegotten, chubby-cheeked smiley Tiki:

What we have here is a basic failure to interpret Hawaiian idol facial features

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 12:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-12 12:26, Dustycajun wrote:
Chub,

What a great picture of the Tiki Tops Tiki and restaurant sign. Where did you find that?

DC

The first picture is from a book called the "American Heritage New Pictorial Encyclopedic Guide To The United States Vol. 4" By the way, nice matchbook DC!

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 4:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The first picture is from a book called the "American Heritage New Pictorial Encyclopedic Guide To The United States Vol. 4"

And by Werner Stoy. I used it in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs. I would also love to see the building and interior. I have been unsucessful in finding that. Run by the Spencecliff Corporation, it must have been full of things from Spence's travels. The space-age Safeway is still there. I drove past it on Monday.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 5:13 pm   Permalink

According to this literature there should be a picture of it in Time Magazines Hawaii Statehood edition, anyone got one? And what do you suppose is in a tiki burger?

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-14 5:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-13 17:13, naugatiki wrote:
According to this literature there should be a picture of it in Time Magazines Hawaii Statehood edition, anyone got one?

August 10, 1959 issue.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-10-14 18:44 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-15 12:34 am   Permalink

I do have this photo of the Tiki Tops from the Aug 1960 issue of Architectural Record magazine:

It actually gives a view of the Tiki Tops restaurant with its modernist, scalloped roof. The roof of the supermarket was engineered by Richard Bradshaw. He probably engineered the Tops roof as well.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-10-15 00:51 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-16 07:51 am   Permalink

I believe Armet & Davis did the Honolulu Tiki Tops. Man, those two modern buildings with the Tiki in between! My kinda stuff!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-16 11:50 pm   Permalink

Cheeseburger on Kalakaua Avenue

Palm Tree Hole

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-10-16 23:59 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-17 09:28 am   Permalink

So, the Tiki Tops became a cheeseburger restaurant named after a song by.......
Jimmy Buffet!!

Oh the humanity. Would have preferred the sports bar or Disco place burned down ending like so many others.

I read that this location is not one of the Jimmy Buffet chain restaurants. Buffet sued to owners and reached a settlement that they could keep the name for the two locations in Waikiki and Lahaina but not open any more with that name.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-17 1:29 pm   Permalink

No, DC. The Tiki Tops is not the Cheeseburger. Breathe easy, man. I'm just showing the same wavy building style in Waikiki...

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-22 1:44 pm   Permalink

Small contribution to this thread...the brochure has some paper residue from glue...

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-22 4:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-13 16:52, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Quote:

The first picture is from a book called the "American Heritage New Pictorial Encyclopedic Guide To The United States Vol. 4"

And by Werner Stoy. I used it in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs. I would also love to see the building and interior. I have been unsucessful in finding that. Run by the Spencecliff Corporation, it must have been full of things from Spence's travels. The space-age Safeway is still there. I drove past it on Monday.

I've been to that Starbucks in that shopping center...The Space Age Safeway is al hidden back now.
Armet and Davis rule.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-09 4:57 pm   Permalink

Here is a better scan of the Tiki Tops ad that PTD posted.

And the cover of the brochure that it came from, I really love this graphic with the Tiki and the Wahine.

DC

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation