FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Wendy Cevola I finished carving on 10-31-10.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Wendy Cevola I finished carving on 10-31-10.
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-12 4:00 pm   Permalink

This past weekend was the Sacramento Tiki Crawl. It started Friday night and ended on Sunday night. It couldn't have been better. There are tons of photos on that thread under California Events. On that thread I had fun posting my step by step creation of our Crawl mug. My first beginning to end ceramics project. I have decided that I will do the same here, step by step as I carve my very first palm log tiki.

The crawl group asked what I was going to carve since the log was on our back patio throughout the event. I told them to look at the tiki in Rugby Matts' living room later that day. It's head was the right size for my log and I like the tiki so much I want to one day turn it into a mug.

So here we go. I've already made errors today in copying the design, I will learn from those errors.

Here are photos from when I cleaned the log last year.

First time I'd used a chain saw, I leveled the ends better.

This is Rugby Matts' tiki that I want to duplicate.

These are the tools that I got for Christmas last year. All I needed was a friend with a spare log. Bullet gave me his, it's so good to have friends.

I drew the tiki on my log with chalk. If you go wrong water takes it off and you can start over. I began at 11 am.

I started to carve where ever there were lines.

I made a deal with Dan, if he would always clean up the wood chips I would let him have the tiki. His motto, "Will work for Tikis".

I carved for one hour washed off the chalk and then we went to lunch.

Back at 1 pm I started to remove more wood. The deeper I carve the better it looked.

At 3 pm I stopped to rest and to put these photos on. I love carving. I may put a different tiki on the back. This tiki was dried in the sun and so it's much harder than expected. Omar let me carve a few whacks at Oasis 09 and that wood was like butter, this one is more like a hard wood. I'll never put one in the sun before carving again. The sun also helped make lots of cracks but that's part of the charm.

After I didn't hurt the tiki he was very happy!

Since this is my first carving I'd love feedback and helpful hints. Thanks for looking, Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2010-10-31 17:06 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 4:08 pm   Permalink

Awesome Wendy!

Its rare to see one chronicle their true "first carve" You are doing fine! Deep is the key depending on the feature.

You are staying hydrated
Dan is "clean up crew"
You take breaks
You have advisers from all over this world
Bamboo Ben hasn't told you to burn it yet

This Tiki will kick butt!

Delightful thread. This made my day.

Thank you

Mahalo

[ This Message was edited by: McTiki 2010-10-12 16:10 ]

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-12 4:09 pm   Permalink

Hey Wendy, THAT LOOKS AWESOME!! I'm not surprised though.... Look at all those beautiful mugs you have made.. Looking forward to more pictures.. Keep them coming
btw... your work area is too clean!!! sorry Dan...
Aloha

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 4:35 pm   Permalink

Wendy, I'm impressed with your desire and enthusiasm to carve, but I'm really impressed that you skinned the log yourself!
You don't need advice in this thread, as you're going to learn infinitely more by actually carving.

Carve on!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 5:10 pm   Permalink

Nice Job Wendy! Girl Power!

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-12 8:02 pm   Permalink

Go Wendy, go Wendy, it's your birthday!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-12 8:13 pm   Permalink

WOW...your Tiki talents are amazing. I agree...your enthusiasm is marvelous and your Tiki will turn out great. Good to know Dan can Hoover...is he available for hire?

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 11:56 pm   Permalink

Great start Wendy. Looking forward to when it's finished. Careful with those chisels. They're sharp. One bit of advice I was given from Watango was that if you are carving on concrete, put some carpet down on the work area. If you drop the chisel, which you will at some stage, at least you wont damage the edge. He was right, i've dropped mine several times but fortunately I work out on the lawn.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 03:21 am   Permalink

Looking real good Wendy! Now stop, you're making the rest of us look bad!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 12:22 pm   Permalink

I posted just for the fun of reading all those posts.

McTiki- did we meet you at VampiressRN's party years ago?
Beachbumz- thanks so much for the comment on my mugs. You should see Dan's jungle room not a vine out of place.
4WDtiki-Skinning was fun work too. You have my old initials I was W.Dawson before I married.
drasticwagon-are you a girl too?
rugbymatt-do you mean it's my birthday into the carving world?
Vamp-you know I keep him busy, sorry no loan.
Swizzle-rug good idea, I was thinking thick metal shoes too. Dan gave up the vacuum it kept cloggin, now he uses a broom.
hewey-Elvis is watching! (inside joke)

I carved for 30 minutes last night and for 1 hour today. Now it all stops while we visit with my sister and her children and grandchildren. So no carving until next week. Thank you everyone you inspire me to work hard. Wendy

Last night for 30 minutes.

This morning for an hour. Last night in the light from the setting sun I could see how much dust shot up with each hit. So I'm protecting my lungs. I had pneumonia for 2 1/2 months this year and I have never smoked. Winter's coming.

It's all roughed out and now my next step will be to remove more wood and to deep carve the eyes, face and mouth. Until then, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 12:50 pm   Permalink

Lookin' fantastic Wendy! Painting, Sculpting, and now Carving - it's the Tiki Trifecta!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 7:36 pm   Permalink

Wendy,

Remember the eyes have a chamfered edge on the inside when you get back to work on them. Feel free to stop by if you need to refresh your memory on the details too. Great job so far!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 8:19 pm   Permalink

Wendy...yes, McTiki came to the first Tiki party I ever had. He was visiting from out of state.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-14 07:20 am   Permalink

Nice to see you finally using those tools girl and your First tiki looks really great. I Love how you marked it all out with chalk first and then outlined it with the v-tool. For future tikis it might help to draw a center line, either with a chalk line or a long straight edge, it helps keep all the elements lined up together and keeps you balanced all the way up and down.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-14 6:17 pm   Permalink

Ben, thank you so much. I can see where I went off, I needed you sooner Ben. I'll use it next time and even on my mugs I should do that. Love ya, Wendy

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation